Peak 45015

Mikeym

• RMweb Gold

Blimey....tyres don't look that clever either....

to give you some of you guys a further example of the sort of expenditure preservation goes...

on the 24th of march we will be having 2 traction motors changed and a tyre turn completed on 26043, the charges for labour to lift 26043 and transport a bogie for tyre turning come to over 3k.....i then have to get an tyre turned owing to damage left over from BR days which has left 2 cavities (one exceeding 15mm) in no3 axle if that cant be turned out (and 26043 is not far from its last tyre turn) then the bill to replace all the tyres comes in at 25k!

If i had to get the two defective motors repaired the bill would be around 8-9k!

and 26043 is a working loco....(well it was....briefly :) )

Edited by pheaton

Just a thought......

When D100 was restored, I saw footage of her being worked on by some apprentices at Toton. Not necessarily for 45 015, but do EWS or the like still do this sort of thing? I'm guessing not, as this would eat into any hard earned company profits etc?

I'm sure there's a good few wrecks out there for new engineers to work on, probably class 56/58/60 by now, (as you'll probably guess, I'm not sure which of the 2nd generation diesels still exist).

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

1015 as i understand it is often worked on by the apprentices at OOC, going back to the glorious (or not so depending on your point of view) 50 days sir Edward Elgar was returned to working order by the apprentices at laira.

Problem is with heritage diesels is they are based around imperial threads and sizes, where as most modern stuff is all metric....for engineering minded amongst us a lot if the air fittings on 45149 use threads sizes and pitches that are now obsolete. However for teaching the principles of engineering a demic kettle or first generation diesel are ideal, sadly in this country there seems to be a lack of willing when it comes to this.....

compare this with Germany however.....and you have a story of a country looking after its engineering heritage! where as the emphasis in the uk on steam preservation is to overhaul a boiler, the norm is to throw it away in Germany and start again! Theres not many places in the UK who will repair and refurbish a product that was last produced in the 60s! However phone voith and say you have a western transmission that's in need of a bit of TLC and its send it on over sir we will sort it for you.

Edited by pheaton

1015 as i understand it is often worked on by the apprentices at OOC, going back to the glorious (or not so depending on your point of view) 50 days sir Edward Elgar was returned to working order by the apprentices at laira.

Problem is with heritage diesels is they are based around imperial threads and sizes, where as most modern stuff is all metric....for engineering minded amongst us a lot if the air fittings on 45149 use threads sizes and pitches that are now obsolete. However for teaching the principles of engineering a demic kettle or first generation diesel are ideal, sadly in this country there seems to be a lack of willing when it comes to this.....

compare this with Germany however.....and you have a story of a country looking after its engineering heritage! where as the emphasis on steam preservation is to overhaul a boiler the norm is to throw it away in Germany and start again! Theres not many places in the UK who will repair and refurbish a product that was last produced in the 60s! However phone voith and say you have a western transmission that's in need of a bit of TLC and its send it on over sir we will sort it for you.

You must be going to the wrong suppliers, most imperial threads are still available.

You would be hard pressed to get any company that has apprentices getting them involved.

• RMweb Premium

When D100 was restored, I saw footage of her being worked on by some apprentices at Toton. Not necessarily for 45 015, but do EWS or the like still do this sort of thing? I'm guessing not, as this would eat into any hard earned company profits etc?

Probably the issue is more around obsolete technology, i.e. where's the value/point in getting your apprentices using/wasting their valuable time on fixing something that's 50 years out of date and pretty irrelevant to what you're training them to work on for you. Other than possibly as a PR exercise

I think it would be best now to let this topic sit and wait for the outcome. No point in if's or buts and if I had the money, lets see what the "owner" does with her and lets remember her as she was

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_hoare/5409850277/

Robin

And here.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/7251051968/in/pool-1307883@N23/lightbox/

• Like 1

That sounds cheap, is it just to repair existing damage, or a full overhaul and rewind...?

Thats about the going rate for a TM repair, it very rare for a TM to have a full rewind. Most armatures will get a clean then checked over for faults then will be VPI (vacuum impregnated) , i.e. dipped in varnish and the stuck in  a vacuum oven for several hour this draws the insulating varnish in to the windings. The comm will the be skimmed. The main field can be removed easily in pole section (pole bricks) if they need any repairs they are dismantled  and retaped and coated in insulating varnish. The whole lot is then reassembled (after bearing checks) and tested.

Al Taylor

• 1 month later...

That's the problem- lots of people are talking about it, but those who are prepared to put in the time, money and effort needed are remarkably fewer.

Good on you for not immidiately striking this one off your list ForeverLiving.

As 298 says in post 123, (above), there's a considerable amount of cash involved, so tread carefully, but as quoted, if you have the time, money and effort needed, I'm sure there would be many Peak fans willing you to succeed. Heck, you may even get some offers of help.....

Please do keep us posted.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

Once upon a time, such a post (particularly a first one) might gave been regarded as Trolling, but I thought it best to give it the benefit of the doubt.

"ForeverLiving", By way of a comparison of the costs and values involved, there will soon be a few ex-DRS 47's on the market, probably a bargain by comparison but will still be going for six figure sums. Nothing is cheap in the preservation world anymore.

If what I was told on Sunday at York while waching 47580 is correct the 47's have a new owner lined up (ie one for one swaps / let the rumours begin  :blum: )

If what I was told on Sunday at York while waching 47580 is correct the 47's have a new owner lined up (ie one for one swaps / let the rumours begin  :blum: )

Been rumours on WNXX of a swap of 57's from WCRC in exchange for DRS 47's, 47802, 57001/6 being the locos touted.

• 3 months later...

What a state...that thing has even less chance of running again than 45132! :jester:

Have you got your hat and coat on, and ready to leave  :no:

The Mid Hants lads are a coming 

• RMweb Premium

If the numbers come up....my thought would be to gut the innards between the cab baulkheads, seal and make the shell weathertight and cosmetically good (blue, full yellow) and convert it to a 'man room' containing the model railway, a small kitchen, bog, drinks cabinet, library, a couple of wing-back chairs and a wood burner (feeding out via the exhaust port). The back garden is easily long enough to take a Peak (dunno what the neighbours would say, mind! :nono: )

At least then it would survive, even if it never ran again (and I still require 45015 for haulage).

• Like 3

Guest 838rapid

Think it should be transferred to the Swindon and Cricklade Railway to go with the latest thumper that's appeared recently,trouble is 45015 is more complete... They would make a fine pair of book ends...

Edited by 838rapid

Have you got your hat and coat on, and ready to leave  :no:

The Mid Hants lads are a coming 

Nothing much seems to have happened to it since someone blew the main generator up years ago while "showing off" when it actually hauled trains.

It looks a bit out of place on the MHR to be honest and IIRC the owner intends moving it elsewhere once the generator and other problems are fixed, the dedicated website disappeared a while ago but it seems that lack of funds and working facilites were the main problems?

If the numbers come up....my thought would be to gut the innards between the cab baulkheads, seal and make the shell weathertight and cosmetically good (blue, full yellow) and convert it to a 'man room' containing the model railway, a small kitchen, bog, drinks cabinet, library, a couple of wing-back chairs and a wood burner (feeding out via the exhaust port). The back garden is easily long enough to take a Peak (dunno what the neighbours would say, mind! :nono: )

At least then it would survive, even if it never ran again (and I still require 45015 for haulage).

I had exactly the same thought - maybe it could be a timeshare... ;-)

• RMweb Gold

The engine starting batteries alone for a class 45 come in (brand new) at 8k (that's excluding VAT) :)

Leopard I noted you put an "undecipherable" what my colleague is saying is that the 45s like many locos on BR had a number of part suppliers....for example...the electrics were supplied by Crompton Parkinson, the engine by Vickers (license builders for sulzer) air system davies and Metcalfe and the exhaust by a subsidiary of the Gloster aircraft company. Different suppliers used different threads it so happens that one of them as specified by D1051 is emeto which is just a name...but its a thread that you cannot by the taps and dies for because it is long obsolete, so if you have stripped thread that you need renew its not always possible to retap it, with say a BSF or dare I say it metric... as im sure you are aware given the business your into. So you have to replace new....and what might seem a simple copper pipe....starts disappearing into brake valves and fuel systems!

I would say you wouldn't have much change from 500k if you wanted to go mainline with 45015!

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

I would say you wouldn't have much change from 500k if you wanted to go mainline with 45015!

And it doesn't mean long term running as one class 46 owner has found out many years ago with her still stored in bits

• 7 months later...

Evening, So I take it this battered heap is not scrap yet? If so then I have a couple of questions"

1. With the thousands of diesels and electrics the former soviet union had could a electrical system be fashioned from parts from Russia, Ukraine, Britain, USA, and builders like Alco, EMD, GE, etc.

2. Finding a engine may not be such a hassle. One could opt for a power plant from some other locomotive from another country. Right now here is the USA we have the last diesel hydraulic freight locomotive built for the Southern Pacific undergoing restoration. So far several parts have been bought from Germany where the locos was originally built. http://sp9010.ncry.org/

3. 45015 may never be trully 100% British Peak internally again. But if a bunch of parts could be had from other places in the world. Russia, China, india, USA, Britain, Eastern Europe, etc. Then maybe getting the battered heap rolling again could be a possibility. 

4. I restore old vintage electrical machines all the time. One of the biggest problems is parts. I often turn to the WWW and places like Ebay to source old used industrial parts to make up new control units and resistor grids all the time. So if a preservation group had someone with the knowledge to work on electrical and electronics maybe building the AVR and the main control panel could be tackled after all.

5. The seized motor on the wheels should be a similar type to other traction motors correct???

6. The most expensive thing I really think is the darn Asbestos in the boiler. Atleast here it is not cheap to remove this crap thanks to all the EPA regulations. 

7. Does the electrical system have to be 220 volt???? Not really. A conversion to 110V DC could be a easy enough task. Finding DC motors for that voltage may not be though? I dunno. 

8. The BIGGEST problem would be funding someone to travel to other countries and try and source parts from various locomotives would be one of the setbacks to my idea though.

I could probably though out several ideas and suggestions all night. But I will wait for feedback.

Robert