Garston Bridge (Third time lucky)

PjKing1

It's a bit of a struggle sometimes but like you says Brian I can't wait fingers crossed Garston Bridge will have a new home soon :)

Cheers, Paul

i know the feel as i started new chapel i had enough space for 2 3ft boads and a 3ft fiddle but i still needed another 3 ft for the one on the other side so a hunt for a new house was on and now im thinking of goin into the loft next year as the baby will want my model room by then  and the nursery is the smallest of all so i wont be goin in there 

youll be surprise what you can do with a few cans and some modelers licence . .gees half of new chapel has be built with the aid of a few cans   :locomotive:  :senile:  

cheers ian 

• RMweb Gold

Ha cheers Ian

It's amazing how a few cans gets progress done!! Thankfully the mrs has said if she gets to choose the new puppy I get to choose the house! :D so huge house with huge loft/basement or garage it is then, as long as the dogs band from the layout room!!

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I've really not had any time to do anything over the last few days with sorting out stuff for the wedding and work but whilst in work I've been thinking about the area to the back of the layout and the backscene.

The original idea is to use the scalescene terrace houses backing onto the railway, but I'm thinking would it look better if the terrace houses are side on as if it's a couple of dead end terrace roads. Below is a very crude doodle of what I'm trying to explain.

post-18716-0-70940000-1400070677_thumb.jpg

Not the best drawing sorry but hope it gives you all an idea, thoughts and ideas would be welcome.

Cheers, Paul

Guest bri.s

It'll be good to have some of the houses end on you can make.some dirty unloved back ally's and back yards .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Yer I know what you mean Brian, I can add extra little detail etc, depending on space could do a mixture of both maybe? Now the track is working etc I can start with the scenic side very shortly :)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Had a quick play with some spare track this morning to roughly see were the entrance to the holding sidings will go, this will still all depend on the position of the signal box but I'm thinking of having a head shunt behind the box to. This will be big enough to hold at least two 40's an a couple of old brake vans etc.

post-18716-0-21164200-1400145487_thumb.jpg

This would be the view from the back of the terraces, looking across the junction with the 40 in the exit/entrance road to the stabling point. The head shunt will be where the track with the concrete sleepers are (but with wooden sleepers) the signal box will be positioned between this an the main line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all apologise for the lack of updates, but it's been a busy couple of weeks and any modelling time I've had has been spent weathering an detailing D270 which I'll hopefully have finished this week. Once that's done I've promised myself I'll get something done on the layout, I rewired the cobalts the other day, just one isn't working but I think it could be the switch, but once that's sorted I'll start weathering the track and I could really do with attaching boards one and two together to get the track laid on that board. Might even get a video longer than 20 seconds done then! :)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I had a little play last night trying to find the fault in the dodgey cobalt but in the end decided to just order a new tortoise point motor, as I do prefer these. If I can get the cobalt up and running again I can use it in the entrance to the holding sidings.

Not much else I'm afraid but this turned up this morning, mmm must be on test later?

Cheers, Paul

post-18716-0-50958700-1401260269_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-86378700-1401260281_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looking good I like the 40

David

Cheers David

The 40's the reason I haven't really got anything done lately on the layout, I've been weathering and detailing that an there's plenty of pics of it in my weathering thread to :)

I managed to finish it last night so I'll give her a good test tonight and I'll try and get a video uploaded, then it's notch 8 with the layout, I've promised myself I'll get some more done on the signal box tonight and time permitting I might give the track a blast of sleeper grime, the new point motor can easily be installed when it arrives. So hopefully I'll have a lot more updates soon.

Many thanks, Paul

• RMweb Gold

At last I've done some modelling, not much but some! I've made a start on the side windows of the signal box, not much to report but at least I've made a start.

Paul

post-18716-0-57337800-1401309397_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-44018600-1401309425_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian

Not sure, I've got some really thin bolsa so might use strips of that or just scribe the platicard and paint it white. Or I might go down the route of Speke Junction signal box which had the wood replaced in the 1960's with PVC due to it being by ohle (apparently), if I use this option I'll just scribe the plasticard and leave it as it is or use very thin plasticard if I'm wanting to make life difficult for myself :)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Well I've managed to get a bit more done on the signal box and I've gone for the wooden fascia look, so I've used very thin bolsa, glued into place and then scribed to give the slat look. It'll all have have to be painted etc but doesn't look to bad I don't think.

Cheers, Paul

post-18716-0-94726200-1401397533_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-52428500-1401397546_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-67588000-1401397559_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-69734600-1401397579_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

looking good there paul. . slowly...lol. :locomotive:  :senile:

Ha ha yer very slowly, the speed restrictions in the area are really playing havoc with progress! :D

I'm gona try an get as much done as possible over the next couple of weeks and get that ballast down! Although I've got my stag doo in Cardiff in just over a week so can't imagine much getting done :(

Cheers, Paul

the layout may had slowed down but your weathering skills are great i know how easy it is to get side tracked. . well youll not be doin alot when you get back from your stag doo ive got my boy now so a few weeks just on getting things sorted with having a baby are in place but ill be still trying for a hour or so in my room when he is sleeping . . ..lol 

• RMweb Gold

the layout may had slowed down but your weathering skills are great i know how easy it is to get side tracked. . well youll not be doin alot when you get back from your stag doo ive got my boy now so a few weeks just on getting things sorted with having a baby are in place but ill be still trying for a hour or so in my room when he is sleeping . . ..lol

Just seen your update congrats again, just wait till George gets to the crawling stage, make sure your room is locked otherwise there will be bits of layout everywhere!! :D

Thanks for the compliments on the weathering to, I can't wait to start weathering Hebrew track and buildings for a change hopefully not so long to wait. As for the stag doo I'm gona be a good boy and drink sensibly ;)

Thanks again, Paul

Guest bri.s

the box is coming on great , i like the balsa idea it gives a good wooden feel to the finish

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian, yer it looks better than I thought, wasn't sure if it'd be to thick but once all the details added and it painted an weathered etc it should look ok :)

Cheers, Paul

The signal box looks brilliant, top work!!

Good luck with the stag do and wedding, always fun times for a bloke! How do I know? I've just spent £1000 on suits for our wedding in December, and that's the ONLY input I'm having!!

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob and thanks Mark, still need to clean the windows up a bit or I can just blame the bobby for misting them up with what ever he's up to inside!! Like cooking or something :)

As for the wedding, the mrs has sorted most of it because if it was up to me it would prob be a disaster, an as for the stag doo I'm just worried there's rumors of dress wearing!! So if anyone is in Cardiff next weekend and sees a scouser in a dress being carried down the road it's me :( I might just have an early night in the hotel an read a book :D

Thanks for the compliments guys, Paul

Archived