Nottingham East Midlands Model Railway Exhibition, 15 & 16 March

GWC1

The Nottingham show is only 2 months away now and even at this late stage exciting developments are afoot!

The show is once again in Hadden Park High School, due to closure of the normal venue, Harvey Hadden Sports Centre. Not much seems to have happened to the sports centre yet, so we may be out of our regular home for a while yet. One benefit of using a school is that the space is more flexible; if space is getting tight, we can use another classroom! This year we have some superb examples of modelling, including Aberbeeg in the Welsh valleys set in the BR blue era and modelled in Scale7, and the Western approach to the Woodhead tunnel in 'N', also in the BR Blue era.

I am busy making final arrangements at the moment, but I will post all the latest info here, as it happens.

Graham

I am looking forward to this event again. Despite the negative comments of a few others I enjoyed last year's event and felt the organising team did very well to sort out a good show in the new venue. Hope the car parking is a little better though!

The car parking was one of the main criticisms people fed back to us last year. On Saturday we used the football field as overflow parking but it rained heavily and many vehicles got stuck. I missed the modelling competition prize giving on Saturday evening after the show closed because I was with the chief steward and his landrover helping to haul vehicles out of the mud! On Sunday we closed the field and used the car park at Harvey Hadden Sports Centre as overflow parking. For 2014 we have nogotiated use of the adjacent primary school and also have the sports centre car park available, so the parking will be on tarmac.

The other problem that visitors fed back to us was that they found it hard to find their way around the school between the various exhibition areas. There was a map in the show guide, but this year we are also having a simple block plan showing the exhibition areas and we are improving the signage to try and make it easier.

The weather last year was pretty wet and we were sorry that some visitors had to queue in the rain to get in. The old venue had a large indoor area to wait in. This year we are having two entrances with a pay desk at each so that visitors can choose the show entrance with the shortest queue, either the main entrance or the sports hall entrance.

You mean it will be like the supermarkets, as you go the the shortest queue and find the longest queue clears faster. :O

Let's hope not! The problem last year was when it rained. This year we will have more space out of the rain to queue, so go to the one thats the driest!

Despite it only being 2 months to the show, there are still changes going on to the line-up. This makes it tricky regarding the adverts, so keep an eye on our website and here for the latest. Coming up soon will be a link to photos of our club's brand new layout Streatham Main Line. This features NSE and LUL trains and looks fantastic (or at least it did until the crew dismantled it last night to make transport crates for it - lets hope it goes together again OK!).

Hello Graham,

Despite some of the issues last year (thanks for the tow out on the Saturday!) we enjoyed the event so looking forward to attending again this year. Your exhibitors 'bumper pack' arrived last night so it's beginning to feel close. And with all the current preps for Barrow Hill (three weeks away!), there'll be plenty of developments to show folks at Nottingham this year. You can find my link at the bottom of this post.

Re the comment about the A4s 'Cop all 35 LNER A4's on Grantham at Barrow Hill 'East Coast Giants of Steam' event, Barrow Hill, 8th & 9th February 2014' - you can also cop all 22 Deltics running on Deepcar in the DPS shed!

Yes, I'd seen our idea was being 'copied'(!) Look forward to seeing it (once the Grantham operating 'gang' are behaving themselves!), all in keeping with the theme of the event (I need to amend the above message as of course the event title is 'East Coast Giants', ie not just steam. Oops - gone a bit OT, sorry!)

We have an unusual layout this year, just confirmed. This is a model of the M&GN bridge at Sutton Bridge. The model is remarkable from being built entirely of Meccano! In keeping with the Binns Road theme, the train is Hornby tinplate and the road vehicles are Dinky. Here is a picture:

It was built by club member Hayden Reed, who has been collecting Meccano pieces to complete it for some time. It is a working model and can be swung through 90 degrees, like the prototype. It will be part of a small Hornby tinplate layout so that the clockwork train can run round the circuit over the bridge (the Dinky cars won't move, unfortunately!).

post-20179-0-11723600-1390074107_thumb.jpg

Looking over the water, Nick Pallette's Dutch HO "Boomeer" will be making its debut at Nottingham and we have a bumper lineup of North American layouts; Easter Park (HO),North Haston (HO), Watts Crossing (N) and Shasta (Z).

http://www.nottingham-modelrailway.org.uk/exhibmain1.htm

Nick

It's about time we put up a layout list!

In addition to Streatham as seen above we have:

Aberbeeg, blue era diesels in S7

Dubmill Sidings, blue and green diesels on O gauge.

In Em 

Angel Bank, the Clee Hill Tramway

Ybysbwl (hope that's spelled right!) Taff Vale in 1922

In P4 we have:

Sheffield Bridgehouses in 1845

Manston Brewery

In OO:

Streatham as seen above,

Leeds Central at it's first major show, steam and early diesel

Midchester 

Farkham Hall and 

Melangoose all privatisation era

Kimberley ex GN in the BR era. The prototype is about 5 miles from the venue.

Cheltenham South and Leckhampton GWR in the 1930's

Bostcroft, somewhere in Lincolnshire, late 50s

Meadow Lane TMD variable era depot layout.

In HO;

North Heston

Easter Park, an American Loco yard

Boomeer, present day Dutch 

In HOe

Berwerk 2

In N 

Woodhead, the tunnel area in the late 70s

Melton Mowbray North, GN in North Leicestershire in BR days

Airesby Colliery, an MGR loading facility in early privatisation days

Watts Crossing, a large American junction

Shasta is Z gauge, present day in the Sacramento River Canyon

HOT NEWS - NEW TRADER!!

Squires Tools will be having a stand at our show. This is the first time that they have exhibited at the Nottingham show, and possibly their first appearance in the East Midlands (being based on the south coast). We welcome them to our show. Squires sell all manner of tools, air brushes, materials, etc., so start drawing up your shopping lists!

• RMweb Premium

I will post the final list of trade stands shortly, once the last few stragglers (you know who you are!) have returned their paperwork. We have quite a few changes this year.

Any news of the traders list so I can raid my piggy bank

Here is the list of traders:

A1 Models

ALL Components

Bill Hudson Transport Books

Booklaw

Branchlines

Cambrian Models

Ceynix Model Railway Trees

Cheltenham Model Centre

Coopercraft & Mailcoach

Dart/Montys/MJT

DPS

Gee Dee

Hobby Holidays

Isinglass Models

Judith Edge Kits

Layouts4u

Midland Railway Society

Model Railway Shop Grantham

Mount Tabor Models

N Brass Locomotives

Replica Railways

Shawplan

Sherwood Models

Skytrex (2013)

Squires

Stevenson Carriages

Terry Davies, Railway Artist

Trackside Signs

Trackside Videos

TTC Diecast (formerly Loughborough Models)

Wizard Models (MSE/51L)

Archived