Meadow Lane TMD

Lochnagar

I've been meaning to start this thread for months to show the project during the course of the build, but 12 months on and the layout is now 99% finished so thought I'd better get the ball rolling! Better late than never  :yes:

Some of you will remember a layout called 'Church Lane Sidings' which has seen a fair few outings on the local exhibition circuit owned by fellow club member Alan Cheadle. Well last year I bought it from him with a plan to bringing it up to the 1990s era with a reasonable amount of modifications. This was mainly to get some practice on scenics and all things layout related before cracking on with my main exhibition layout project 'Knotingly'. The original plan was to sell it on once I'd 'finished' the project and it'd served it's purpose, but inevitably I've grown to like it and will now be keeping it as a small exhibition layout in addition to 'Knotingly'. 

I will post pictures in the coming weeks, so for the time being a description will have to suffice!

The work to date has involved the following but to mention a few; A complete renewal of all wiring, with live feeds added to every section of track, (now fully wired for DCC). Relaying the fiddle yard in it's entirety, relaying the two rearmost depot roads which has enabled lengthening of these lines, all front fascias replaced with new 5mm MDF, concealed florescent lighting added, new control panel inclusive of wiring, switches and capacitors. Re-ballasting, track weathering. All steam era features removed ie; provender store and coaling road, which have been turned into fuel storage tanks and a car park/stabling point respectively - much like real times. The depot area has been leveled and totally renewed, with concrete hardstanding, fueling point and the usual array of depot clutter. 

Pretty much all the scenery has been altered to some degree, and includes new buildings, express models lighting, renewed road bridge, backscenes, and the superb 'forest in a box' from Green Scene. 

The layout measures 8" x 1.5", and is about the only aspect that remains unchanged. A Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2 DCC system is used for controlling the layout, with two handsets so as to enable two operators at once. 

Era wise, it's early 90s midlands (ish), with the option for post 2000 up to the present day if I feel like it! 

That's all for now, as I said this thread is long overdue but pics will be added soon.

Meadow Lane TMD is having it's exhibition debut at the Derby show on the 11th and 12th of May, so feel free to come along and have a look!  

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had a quick look at the Derby show  - some very nice modelling there.

I just wish I had longer to look at the layout but i am sure we will be seeing more of this one at shows.

Regards

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Hi Ian, Thanks for the comments! Yes will definitely be seeing more of it, booked in at Warley this year along with several others yet to be confirmed, will be updating on here as and when confirmed show dates come up. 

Alex

One of the better TMD layouts....good atmosphere!

There are a lot of mediocre ones, unfortunately.

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete! I do my best  :)

Whilst it's not unique by any means, as you say there are a lot of TMD layouts on the exhibition circuit, I try and make things as prototypical as possible without making it boring to watch (and operate). Definitely a case of quality over quantity, and not too much clutter for a layout of this size. I give top priority to scale running and sound fitting/sync of the locos which is an area that I feel lets a substantial number of layouts down. 

Thanks for the comments.

• Like 1

Really like the look of this layout. I think you've convinced me to visit the Warley show.

Do you have a track plan or wide angle/zoomed out photo? I'm currently planning a similar era layout (see thread in layout advice section http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71766-advice-comments-wanted-on-oo-10-x-2-layout/ ) so hoping to shameless nick good ideas!

Thanks

Sam

Edited by sdw7300

Really like the look of this layout. I think you've convinced me to visit the Warley show.

Do you have a track plan or wide angle/zoomed out photo? I'm currently planning a similar era layout (see thread in layout advice section http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71766-advice-comments-wanted-on-oo-10-x-2-layout/ ) so hoping to shameless nick good ideas!

Thanks

Sam

Thanks, I'll post a trackplan up when I get round to doing one. Have got more pics which show the whole scenic section so they'll be going on here soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's brilliant – very well done this layout.

Any chance to get a look at the right end of the scene?

Thanks for sharing + keep up the good work!

Armin

Btw: 8" x 1.5" looks rather mini-micro - shouldn't that read 8' x 1.5' …?

• Like 1