Westbrook

Alcanman

Hi Mal,

Agreed on 'it's looking good' comments!

Query - Freight cars..

Is the Clarendon and Pittsford box car the Atlas Trainman one?

I've been trying to find one ever since they came out.

Thanks

Thanks Phil.

The CLP boxcar is an Athearn rtr PS 5344. I bought it from Contikits at an exhibition, they were at a swapmeet today and I was hoping to find more boxcars for New England railroads, but no luck. I'm

struggling to find more.

Mal

Roof details have been added to the warehouse which has received a little weathering and has been 'bedded in' onto the layout.

post-7898-0-06092700-1391346901_thumb.jpg

Looking at pics of Pan Am freights I've noticed that Helm (HLCX) leasing units are a common sight, particularly ex BN SD40-2s.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=466836&nseq=12

Due to shortage of power at Westbrook, I've had to resort to leasing an ex BN loco!

post-7898-0-06739700-1391347451_thumb.jpg

Mal

Hi Mal

The fact I had to ask what track your using just goes to show that code 100 can still look good - I think I will follow your method on my next layout.

David.

I think one of the factors is that it is painted a dark rust colour.  Darker colours attract less attention to themselves.

If in a similar situation, you were to add a code 70 spur to this , hand laid, with loads of extra details, it pays to paint that a few shades lighter. Not only will it 'show' better, but will make the other track show even less. 

Not much work done on the layout this week as I'm waiting for orders to arrive.

In the meantime, I've been watching a few videos and this is one of my favourites. If your still running mute diesels this may convince you to try dcc sound.

Realistically, I don't think Soundtraxx or Loksound will ever achieve this level of sound, but nevertheless, it just confirms for me that sound really adds to the fun of model railroading.

Mal

Well, I guess the fidelity of a real train sound will still be some time away, but the revs of the engine and hardly any movement at first (as in this video) can be acchieved by using manual notching. That will give you independent control of your sound RPM from your speed. It will probably mean you've got to learn to 'drive' your train all over again but it adds yet another dimension. :-)

Koos

Here's a few examples:

Thanks Koos, nice sounds.

When planning the layout, in addition to a 3 bay warehouse, I wanted to include a hopper unloading facility for grain (feed) as I'd seen feed mills in pics and videos of northern New England. eg North Bennington, VT.

Obviously, a feed mill would be too big so a small transloading facility would fit on my small layout. However, I couldn't find any suitable kits. Most of the Cornerstone kits are for hopper loading so I was

delighted when Walthers announced their 'Rail ro Road Aggregate Transfer' kit due for delivery 31st Dec 2013. I duly made an advance reservation with Model Junction, praying that the kit would arrive on time.

As I wanted to start the layout, I took the kit measururements and allowed space, once again praying that the model would fit!

This week the kit arrived and as you can see the box fits in the space!

post-7898-0-70474400-1391788945_thumb.jpg

But will the model fit!  .........   Yes!!

post-7898-0-10118600-1391788992_thumb.jpg

I'm also looking for other commodities appropriate to Northern New England which could be delivered in gravity unloading covered hoppers. I've seen rock salt loads but I guess that's just for the winter.

Mal

I'm also looking for other commodities appropriate to Northern New England which could be delivered in gravity unloading covered hoppers. I've seen rock salt loads but I guess that's just for the winter.

Mal

Sugar could work.  Comes in the same 3-bay covered hoppers as grain.

I can't remember what time period you're working with but plastic pellets are VERY common.  Cars are slightly different though... still covered hoppers but the outlets at the bottom are a bit different.

Then of course there's cement.

the way this winter is going I think we'll be salting the roads in July.... but I digress.

Rock salt is actually delivered for road use year round - municipalities buy it through the year and stock up on it. In fact, a number of cities around the country are getting dangerously close to running out of their normal year's supply, and according to that stupid rat in Pennsylvania there's six more weeks of winter.

Flour is another possibility.

And if the silos are bulk storage for grain/oats/etc... shipped into a feed mill that would also be very legit for New England.

Thanks for the info guys.

I have some plastic pellet hoppers but I think they are discharged by pressure thru pipes into silos or directly into trucks. Powdered Kaolin (clay), used in paper mills in New England is also delivered by

this method in covered hoppers together with tank cars of clay slurry.

Mal

Thanks for the info guys.

I have some plastic pellet hoppers but I think they are discharged by pressure thru pipes into silos or directly into trucks. Powdered Kaolin (clay), used in paper mills in New England is also delivered by

this method in covered hoppers together with tank cars of clay slurry.

Mal

That is what I've seen for pellet delivery - ground-level hoses and silos beside the facility.

Like this: https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=43.7891,-79.486266&spn=0.003315,0.005177&t=h&z=18

Adrian

That is what I've seen for pellet delivery - ground-level hoses and silos beside the facility.

Like this: https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=43.7891,-79.486266&spn=0.003315,0.005177&t=h&z=18

Adrian

Yeah that's exactly it.  But not ALWAYS something that fancy.  For example, there's one cheap customer we deliver to that just hacked a few bricks out of the side of their building and have a big metal pipe sticking through the hole... then they hook flex hoses to the pipe and pump it right into the building.  So all you'd see outside the building is a short length of pipe coming out of the wall and then flex hoses on the ground.  Oh... and a LOT of spilled pellets all over the the ground, haha.

Good idea, Marty. Then one of those road salt buildings would be interesting - the cone shaped jobs...

Best, Pete.

I remember seeing a picture of a Morton Salt building with a track up to a dump shed beside it in one of the stories about cities running out of salt.  Let me see if I can find it.

• RMweb Gold

Good idea, Marty. Then one of those road salt buildings would be interesting - the cone shaped jobs...

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Those 'cone shaped jobs'...

Take up a lot of square footage!

http://www.domeuk.com/

This is for UK spec ones - looking at photos of ones in USA and Canada - you can make it 3 times the size!

Thanks

Pellets?  Did someone say pellets?  How LITTLE space do you want to devote to unloading pellets?  How about one car length and an equal amount of flat dirt or pavement to park a vacuum truck next to the covered hopper.

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nynjdrybulktransfer.jpg

Page that picture is on is here:  http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nych.html

Search on the words "Bulk plastic pellet transfer" and it will take you right to it.

If you are interested in a (relatively) small plastic plant, here is one on the southwest side of Fort Wayne, IN.  It's a generic concrete and steel factory/warehouse type building that I believe was converted at a later time.  As TotalLamer mentioned about a customer he is familiar with, I believe this place had a pipe through a wall and flex hoses on the ground.  I don't get to this side of town too often anymore and I believe it's been at least five years since they received pellets by rail here.  I'm sure I have pictures somewhere but they would be either slides or prints and I haven't exactly done much in the way of organizing all those boxes and bins of pictures.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qv70ws7x1h0r&lvl=19.43&dir=286.12&sty=o&q=4116%20McClure%20Ct%2C%20Fort%20Wayne%2C%20IN%2046809&form=LMLTCC

For reference, this line is Norfolk Southern's Newcastle District, a former Nickel Plate branch from Fort Wayne down to somewhere in southern Indiana.  If you scroll to the right a little, you will see Hugo Junction where the Newcastle crosses NS's former Wabash mainline that runs between Detroit and Kansas city.

Speaking of the Wabash line, here is another plant that is still receiving pellets.  It's located about a 1/3 of a mile down the road to the west of the plant above.  

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qv6nj87x0xpc&lvl=18.55&dir=160.03&sty=o&q=4284%20Mark%20Dr%2C%20Fort%20Wayne%2C%20IN%2046809&form=LMLTCC

Hope this is useful.

Jason Cook

New Haven, Indiana

Pellets?  Did someone say pellets?  How LITTLE space do you want to devote to unloading pellets?  How about one car length and an equal amount of flat dirt or pavement to park a vacuum truck next to the covered hopper.

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nynjdrybulktransfer.jpg

Page that picture is on is here:  http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nych.html

Search on the words "Bulk plastic pellet transfer" and it will take you right to it.

If you are interested in a (relatively) small plastic plant, here is one on the southwest side of Fort Wayne, IN.  It's a generic concrete and steel factory/warehouse type building that I believe was converted at a later time.  As TotalLamer mentioned about a customer he is familiar with, I believe this place had a pipe through a wall and flex hoses on the ground.  I don't get to this side of town too often anymore and I believe it's been at least five years since they received pellets by rail here.  I'm sure I have pictures somewhere but they would be either slides or prints and I haven't exactly done much in the way of organizing all those boxes and bins of pictures.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qv70ws7x1h0r&lvl=19.43&dir=286.12&sty=o&q=4116%20McClure%20Ct%2C%20Fort%20Wayne%2C%20IN%2046809&form=LMLTCC

For reference, this line is Norfolk Southern's Newcastle District, a former Nickel Plate branch from Fort Wayne down to somewhere in southern Indiana.  If you scroll to the right a little, you will see Hugo Junction where the Newcastle crosses NS's former Wabash mainline that runs between Detroit and Kansas city.

Speaking of the Wabash line, here is another plant that is still receiving pellets.  It's located about a 1/3 of a mile down the road to the west of the plant above.  

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qv6nj87x0xpc&lvl=18.55&dir=160.03&sty=o&q=4284%20Mark%20Dr%2C%20Fort%20Wayne%2C%20IN%2046809&form=LMLTCC

Hope this is useful.

Jason Cook

New Haven, Indiana

I'd go so far as to say plastic pellets are one of the most common (if not THE most common) types of carload freight out there right now.  But once again I must stress, I'm not sure what time period you're modeling and I imagine plastic pellets in theses HUGE covered hoppers aren't something that's always been a thing, nor so widespread.  But anyways  On my tiny subdivision alone alone we've got...

Total Distribution (this is definitely an old image... they've got way more cars by their building these days AND they cleared out a lane by the track between the crossings so they could pull trucks up to even MORE cars parked over there and unload them.  This is the place where their unloaders are nothing more than a pipe sticking through a crudely-cut hole in the brick wall.

FG7jD7f.png

Mauser...

jfHlu4C.png

Transflo...

eFqZUp3.png

Wanda's... (what we call it... not sure of the real name.  National Leasure I think?  I dunno.)

xsKmnw5.png

Charlotte Pipe & Foundry

me8e4u6.png

No idea what this one's called...

sNdRHO9.png

Aaaaand AEP.

vuIaCgP.png

Amazing pics TL. Thanks

My main interest is contemporary railroading ,so I like to model current operations. I've seen plenty of PP hoppers in videos of Northern New England, so I've incuded a couple of silos and a

spot next to the warehouseto receive PPs. I'll add some piping, hoses etc later.

post-7898-0-19621800-1391947479_thumb.jpg

The silos were recycled from a previous layout

post-7898-0-48867600-1391947556_thumb.jpg

Mal

Archived