Westbrook

Alcanman

Yeah that looks perfect!  Maybe the building/silos could use a bit of weathering, but otherwise I can't imagine a more appropriate looking place for plastic pellet unloading.

I'm not sure what you could use to simulate it, but where they unload those things there's usually a pretty good amount of pellets spilled all over the ground beside the tracks... they're white.  I can't really think offhand what could be used to model something so small as spilled pellets though.

Today I planted the first couple of trees, re-cycled sea moss Super Trees from my previous layout.

As the layout is set in New England, I'm going to need plenty more trees. Appropriately, an 'Evergreen' boxcar has been spotted next to the trees.

post-7898-0-40961000-1392135743_thumb.jpg

Mal

As it will be some time before I can start making videos of the layout, I'm content to watch the real Westbrook branch in action.

Here's another video of the local taking a short cut of clay slurry tank cars along to the paper mill at Westbrook. Some very nice 'tree tunnels' in evidence, ideal for a scenic break on a layout.

Mal

hey, where's that Guildford Motive Power?? ;-) 

OK, Koos - here you go!

post-7898-0-53317300-1392725737_thumb.jpg

Whilst many modellers usually have more locos than they need for a layout, I found myself without any suitable power for a New England layout!

(My last layout had to re-located from New England to upstate New York using CSX power)

At long last I have a suitable loco, and, as luck would have it, my favourite high nose GP40 still is operation with Pan AM.

Here is the real loco in action.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3497921

Mal

This week I've continued to work on the grain silos. I'm quite impressed with the size of them, they hide the corner of the layout nicely.

A first for me was using a Humbrol Acrylic spray can and I'm pleased with the results. Also,  the color matches no 64 light gray, which is a color I often use.

A wash of dark gray followed and then some dry brushing and weathering powders. Still lots of work to do on the grain facility but so far so good.

post-7898-0-56620000-1393157754_thumb.jpg

I've also added some concrete hard standing at the front of the layout to represent a team track. This is assumed to have been where a station platform was situated back

in the day when the Westbrook branch had a passenger service. Although infrequently used, here we see a gon arriving for unloading at the team track

post-7898-0-51674100-1393157944_thumb.jpg

Mal

Looking great Mal, and I love the added 'story' about a former passenger depot.  Would it be an idea to model a few very low weathered remnants of what was once a depot building or associated structure foundation ? Just to enforce that story?

Koos

Looking great Mal, and I love the added 'story' about a former passenger depot.  Would it be an idea to model a few very low weathered remnants of what was once a depot building or associated structure foundation ? Just to enforce that story?

Koos

Thanks Koos.

I will be adding a small yard office to the right of the team track, situated on the site of the former depot.

Luckily, the Cornerstone kit I'm using for the grain unloading facility has a office building included which fits nicely in the space. :no:

Mal

In my travels over here I've found that most interesting former station buildings get taken over by the local council (for various activities). And if it didn't it meant that the building was of no architectural interest and was demolished.

Very nice work, Mal.

Best, Pete.

Here's a pic showing the overall progress of the layout to date. The left hand end of the layout coming along nicely.

post-7898-0-30364500-1393428588_thumb.jpg

And, a contrast in boxcars. An old weathered CLP and brand new Pan AM.  At long last I've started to acquire some Pan Am/Guilford stock. :no:

post-7898-0-81480300-1393428737_thumb.jpg

Mal

Nice Mal!

I guess MEC#378 is working overtime every night.

Where did you find the Pan Am boxcars and the Guilford GP40?

Cheers

Jacques

Thanks Jacques.

After searching the web in vain for months, I was lucky enough to obtain the stock from a fellow RMWebber :no:

And yes, #378 is working a lot of overtime, here it is again with a typical Westbrook sized load!

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1441796

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jacques.

After searching the web in vain for months, I was lucky enough to obtain the stock from a fellow RMWebber :no:

Mal

Hi Mal,

You are very fortunate to have found a Pan Am boxcar on this side of the Atlantic!

However, I have one that I don't need as the Pan Am 'Blue period' is to late for my preferred time line.

It came all the way from the states as part of a job lot of other Guilford/MEC/B&M cars.

The 10 cars cost me £150 inc Vat and delivery.

Having just seen one on EBAY at 320.00 plus shipping - I think I was very fortunate in my purchase.

If you want it - let me know and we can haggle!

Thanks

Mal;

Always enjoy watching the layout's you build and they are very inspiring to say the least. You've managed to come up with another very nice layout in the available space you have; and your modeling is great. The only change I'd make would be to replace the current feed bins with a couple of the Rix grain bins and a grain-leg which would be a bit more like what you find at most feed mill operations in the U.S. However, your choice is certainly different - so if you like it - go with it!

Like the way you've worked a run-around track in to your plan and something I've tried to do a couple of times with my own switching layout - just never have found a plan that looks right to me. So for now, I'm sticking with a push-pull type operation and since my layout era is 1978-1982 - I lead the train with a caboose coming into the spur. Also allows me to have numerous colorful short line box cars!

Anyway, keep up the great work and I'll be looking forward watching your progress on this layout.

Regards,

Ed

Thanks Ed, nice to hear from you.

I had thought of using grain bins, in fact, I have a Rix one which I used on my last layout. However, the when I saw the new Cornerstone kit, I liked that, in additon to the silos, it includes a conveyor and and unloading pit.

(which requires a hole to be cut in the baseboard). I may use the facility for transloading road salt, a common commodity in New England. The type of structure would more likely be used for salt rather than grain.

Mal

They certainly use plenty of road salt in New England. This video from 2 years ago sees a Vermont Railways 48 car salt train. A variety of covered hoppers used but as far as I can see they all have trough hatches and I guess will be unloaded by gravity.

As a bonus VRS used 7 unit lash up on this train! Possibly a power move.

Mal

Mal

You said that

' Peco turnouts were also re-cycled and the warehouse was made by joining together 2 structures from previous layouts.'

What kits were they exactly for the grey wharehouse? It certainly looks rugged and simple, like contemporary US industrial structures do/should.

This will probably trigger another US layout from me, as a CSLB syndrome sufferer. No known therapy apparently.

Paul, I originally used Walthers 'Magic Pan Bakeries' http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2915  to build 2 small warehouses on my Deerfield Beach layout.

To get more out of the kit I used 60 thou styrene sheet for the back walls.

post-7898-0-99479400-1393930104_thumb.jpg

For Westbrook, I simply joined them together and added some thin styrene strip to hide the joints.

I like CSLB  - Compusive Small Layout Builder?  - that sums me up too!

Mal

They certainly use plenty of road salt in New England. This video from 2 years ago sees a Vermont Railways 48 car salt train. A variety of covered hoppers used but as far as I can see they all have trough hatches and I guess will be unloaded by gravity.

As a bonus VRS used 7 unit lash up on this train! Possibly a power move.

Mal

Great to see a 'Southern Pacific' speed lettered car (amongst the autoracks) passing by :-) 

Great to see a 'Southern Pacific' speed lettered car (amongst the autoracks) passing by :-) 

That is a fairly typical mix of autoracks. The cars are pooled - most of the flats are owned by TTX, with the racks owned by the RRs - so nobody bothers to re-logo them unless they get into a shop for repair of the rack (which seems to be uncommon).

The excess of motive power may just be a reflection of the age and reliability of the geeps and the challenging conditions that might be encountered in winter in New England.

Adrian

Here's a few of examples of rock salt unloading in Fort Wayne, IN.

Location #1

First up is a downright fancy facility.  There is a covered unloading pit, a nice storage dome, and a warehouse/packaging building.  The warehouse is (relatively) old, probably 1960's/70's vintage.  I remember when they built the salt dome and all the related sheds and added the two tracks to service it.  I moved here in 1997 so it was after that, probably between 1999 and 2003 but I don't have a firm date.  You will also note a conveyor from the salt dome to the warehouse building.  I believe that they bag a certain amount of product for regional distribution at the consumer level, plastic bags in 5, 10, 20 pound range.  Most of the salt to this facility is in Cargil or nowadays, former Cargil 2-bay covered hoppers.  There is no close model of this particular car unfortunately.  Years ago, there used to be boxcars with Diamond Salt logos spotted at the boxcar doors.  For you Inglenook fans, check out the track arrangement.  it's not a perfect 5:3:3 but you could certainly adapt this industry to an Inglenook.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qvgqcm7x1r97&lvl=18&dir=270&sty=o&q=2532%20W%20State%20Blvd%2C%20Fort%20Wayne%2C%20IN%2046808&form=LMLTCC

This is the most common car I see at this facilty:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?id=259666

You can see where the Cargill decal has been removed from the side of the car.

Here is a car with the decal:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2180439

Cargill Salt covered hopper pictures:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=CLSX

Very weathered and grafitti'd Diamond Crystal boxcar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freightgraffiti2/5057968694/in/photostream/

Location #2

Here's a much 'lower budget' rock salt facility.  It is located adjacent to the Norfolk Southern Triple Crown yard located on the property of the former Pennsylvania/Penn Central/Conrail hump yard.  This one has nothing permanent except maybe the track.  The salt is in a huge pile.  Covered hoppers to this location are a diverse mix, mostly older grain cars towards the end of their lives although those two-bay Cargill cars also make appearances here.  

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qv9yrc7x6tn1&lvl=19.52&dir=162.45&sty=o&q=2358%20Wayne%20Trace%2C%20Fort%20Wayne%2C%20IN%2046803&form=LMLTCC

Location #3

Here is the third large salt unloading facility in the area.  This one is located to the north of Norfolk Southern's East Wayne Yard.  This could be the easiest to model in some ways.  You could easily add a fairly large industry by including at least two of the three tracks and making use of the isolated nature of this location.  The tree line to the back would be great against the backdrop and have the conveyor truncate at the front edge of the layout or into the tree line and don't worry about the salt pile itself.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qvc8867xc616&lvl=18&dir=180&sty=o&q=7152%20Parrot%20Rd%2C%20Fort%20Wayne%2C%20IN%2046803&form=LMLTCC

Cars at this location appear to be primarily DSSX reporting marks, Detroit Salt.  Most of the DSSX cars are former grain cars that are 30-40+ years old.  DSSX repainted them into a reddish brown color that fades to a pretty horrid chalky pink color.   Here's more DSSX cars than you want to look at:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rslist.aspx?id=DSSX&cid=4

Hope it's useful.

Jason Cook

New Haven, IN

Archived