MGR appeal

firefly9

Hi Guys. This is a project i'm involved with. If you could take the time to read it and hopefully make a donation no matter how small it might be. Time really is running out for these wagons so if you want to see some saved we need to act now. That can only be done through donations from guys and gals like yourselves.

PM me if you have any questions, ideas or information.

Thanks,

Rich

MGR Appeal

The class 56 preservation group is backing a plan to preserve several of the last remaining MGR wagons.

Over 10,000 exapmples of the HAA wagon and it’s derivatives were built from the mid 1960’s through to the early 1980’s at Shildon in Durham and Ashford. Currently the very first and last wagons are both preserved and on display at Shildon, the NRM annexe built on the site of the former wagon works.

There are now only around 20 examples remaining around the country and are being disposed of frequently and quickly. The wagons which were synonymous with classes of locomotive such as 20’s, 37, 56 and 58 have been replaced by higher capacity bogie wagons built for EWS in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.

The class 56 and 58 groups have lent their backing to the project with the 56 group having agreed to act as a depository for donations specifically for the appeal and set them aside to try and purchase as many examples of MGR as possible.  A home has also been found in the midlands for any wagons which are preserved. Scrap prices currently mean the value of a wagon is around £3700 from scrap Merchants who are disposing of them.

Talks have also been started with DB Schenker who own the last remaining wagons and are positive so far. Richard Prestidge from the appeal said

“There are very few of these wagons left and time is running out for them quickly. They are possibly the most iconic wagon built in the last 50 years and their place in the lineage of the history of railways and coal carrying is easy to see. There were over 10,000 of them at one time to the 20 odd we have now with only 2-3 being officially considered preserved.  Anyone who has used electricity in the last 50 years whether boiling a kettle or switching on a light has been affected by the work these wagons do, so culturally they are very important, and not just in railway terms. They are very worthy of preservation.”

It is intended once preserved to use them as an educational resource to explain with other wagon types the history of coal carrying by rail, and also for photo charters if a short rake can be saved alongside appropriate locomotives types.

Anyone who wishes to make a donation is asked to make cheques payable to

Class 56 Group (MGR Appeal)

61 TYERSAL PARK

BRADFORD

W.YORKS

BD4 8EY

or pay via paypal at kbulmer(at)talktalk.net (with the (at) replaced by @ )

• 2 weeks later...

How are thing's progressing with this? I could well be tempted to put some money/time into something like this. Are there any plans to actually demonstrate unloading on the move though i fully understand how difficult it would be to provide the infrastructure to do this. If the door opening/closing gear could be acquired would it be possible to demonstrate just this part of the operation?

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a shame, it would have been good to have saved about 10-20 of them for haulage behind suitable loco's, but that's been missed now.

In the future museums and preserved railways will only show to the public visions of a utopia that never existed. Highly polished steam locos and if you are lucky a couple of green diesels. Most but not all think railway history ended in 1968 and a lot seem to think that mk1s ,DMUs and BR standard freight vehicles are disposable assets, often converting them into monstrous hybrids of vehicles that never existed by putting an ancient body on the frames of a vehicle that is truly worthy of presavation.

Shame the mgr project didn't succeed

You can't save everything, and at present spare cash is at a premium. Also, it's the public whose money supports heritage railways, & whether we like it or not, diesels just don't have the 'pull' that steam does. Whether that will change or not remains to be seen, but I for one cannot see it changing any time soon.

• RMweb Premium

Just spotted this, I think it is important to preserve some. Trains like the Great Central's windcutter freight do help show what things were like in the past, so in 10 years time it would be good to have a rake of mgr hoppers to run behind a preserved diesel.

How is the appeal doing?

• RMweb Premium

When it comes to moving coal around it seems weird to think that there are more 16 ton mineral wagons around nowdays than HAAs (at least I assume that there a lot more than a dozen 16 ton wagons left).

When it comes to moving coal around it seems weird to think that there are more 16 ton mineral wagons around nowdays than HAAs (at least I assume that there a lot more than a dozen 16 ton wagons left).

There going fast due to DBs having to hand back a lot of yards/sidings and therefore they have limited storage space. Would be interesting to know what the HEA fleet numbers are now ? 

• RMweb Gold

how about trying to get some of the CDAs A second batch of CDAs was produced in 1989, these being converted from HAA hoppers by RFS Doncaster. Renumbered as 375124-375137[/size]

Never thought of this, seems the project could have a second chance. How many CDAs are still in traffic and what I'd the timescale for withdrawal?

• 1 month later...

Hi Ladies and Gents.

I apologise for not posting anything in ages on here. The appeal went quiet for a while but i received a call from DB Schenker in november telling us a wagon had become available. We have now purchased this and it will be moving to Barrow hill imminently. The following press release gives more details. (PS) we are still collecting funds for those who want to donate. Please see how at the bottom of the press release.

Thanks

Richard, MGR appeal

MGR Appeal press release

The MGR wagon preservation appeal would like to proudly announce that it has been successful in purchasing HMA wagon, number 355798 from DB Schenker at Immingham. The wagon should be moving to Barrow Hill roundhouse in the near future by road transport. Once at Barrow Hill a thorough inspection of the wagon will be made by volunteers, a formal restoration plan will be devised and a decision on restoration will then be taken.

The appeal could not have succeeded without generous donations from supporters of the Class 56 Group, Class 58 Group and others who have seen the appeal on websites and in railway magazines. The appeal is particularly grateful to the members of the WNXX forum whose members have donated generously to the appeal. It also wishes to extend its thanks to DB Schenker who has been very supportive of this project.

More plans and information will be released in the New Year when matters have been decided upon. 

The MGR train principle was developed in the mid-1960s as a way of increasing the efficiency of loading, transportation and unloading of coal at pits and power stations and is still in use today. The wagons were built from 1964 until 1982. Shildon works built nearly all the MGR wagons and their derivatives, with only two built at Darlington and 160 built at Ashford

From the 11000 wagons built for this work, withdrawal and replacement by newer designed stock sees only a handful left today. None are currently in use for the transportation of coal and mainly remain as crippled or damaged wagons in sidings. With regular clear outs of older rolling stock the remaining few wagons will not be around much longer so time really was of the essence with this appeal.

There are in one form or another five or six officially preserved MGR wagons saved with several held by the NRM at York and Shildon, One wagon is at Boness, one is at Barry Island and a plinthed example is on display at Knottingley depot. The group is still collecting donations for the appeal for anyone still wanting to make a contribution.

The address for donations is:

Andrew Wilson

MGR Appeal

61 Tyersal Park

Tyersal

Bradford 4

West Yorkshire

BD4 8EY

Alternatively please visit www.wnxx.com for details of how to donate online. 

• 1 month later...

I'd guess around £2,200 based on scrap value (14.5 tonnes at £150 per tonne).

And transport, Now that 2 have been saved the main target for fund rising should the purchasing of spares as these will be as thin on the ground as the hopper are now, the odd wheel set would be good. The bottom line is that 2 are saved and the guys seem to know what they are doing so hats off to them.

For purchase of one of these wagons your looking at around £1400-£1500 inc of VAT. Then transport which is nearly as much again. Spares are not so much of a worry for the work they will be doing in preservation.

cheers

Rich

Oh and we have set of door operating equipment too.

Rich

Archived