Update time!

After waving a tenon saw above my head and yelling "I am Doctor Frankenstein!" I began extending the baseboard using a selection of old offcuts I had, this left the board looking like a timber version of Frankenstein's monster! I would have used all new timber, but the wallet is a little empty at the moment!

post-146-0-67213500-1392139613_thumb.jpg

The weathering has continued, most of the buildings are now almost done. All that remains is the dusting with clay, but I'll do that with the building in situ so it blends in with the scenery.

post-146-0-11954000-1392139934_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-55793800-1392140199_thumb.jpg

More work has been completed in the digital realm. Firstly I have created a piece for 3D Printing to convert my OBA to an OEA. The OEAs were used on clay, so it's possible they ended up at Pontsmill. The grey part is the print, the red part is the simplified template of the Farish OBA.

post-146-0-54665100-1392139831.jpg

Next is the belt fed loader, this fits inside the blister on the clay dries roof.

post-146-0-66619600-1392140232.jpg

Lastly is a WIP scenic item, an Atkinson lorry, as seen in John Vaughan's photographs. I'm not sure what livery it would have. I have anicdotal evidence that Western Express Haulage ECC Ltd ran lorrys from Pontsmill to London, the lorry in the John Vaughan pictures was owned at some point by ECC, but the livery in the images doesn't look like ECC.

post-146-0-69221600-1392140221.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

I've never heard of the OEAs, that looks like a distinctive and interesting conversion.

Presumably by the 1980s that Atkinson would be well worn and whatever livery it was in was under a nice layer of clay dust. I wonder if by th time you're modelling that it'd be used as a yard shunter or for local trips? Seems a good excuse to go to town on the weathering hehe

jo

I've never heard of the OEAs, that looks like a distinctive and interesting conversion.

Presumably by the 1980s that Atkinson would be well worn and whatever livery it was in was under a nice layer of clay dust. I wonder if by th time you're modelling that it'd be used as a yard shunter or for local trips? Seems a good excuse to go to town on the weathering hehe

jo

Paul Bartlett has some pictures: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/obarebuild/h634D836F#h1891d443 They certainly look odd with the pitched roofs!

I'm sure it probably was a bit knackered! The livery on the Atkinson looks to be a pale colour, maybe white or yellow, without any patterns/logos etc. Could well have been reduced to local trips! I'm trying to imagine driving one from Cornwall to London through the night in the 70s! Led Zeppelin on the radio, cigarette on the go, eating cold Spaghetti Hoops from a can on the dash!

Cheers,

Jack

Thanks Mike, I have had a couple of interviews both of which I'm waiting to hear the outcome of, so fingers crossed!

A quick update, I've cut the first two pieces of MDF to build up the top. There's another layer to go which will hopefully give sufficient depth to the canal. The view below now gives a good impression of the geography of the layout.

post-146-0-90921600-1392166179_thumb.jpg

Pontsmill is quite a rural location, so I wanted to give a bit room for country side rather than having the industrial dominate. At the very front will be fields, probably with a few cows in, then a tree/hedge line beyond which is the road leading to the nearby ECC Pontsvale Mill. Beyond the road is the branch track, then the canal and finally the works. I am toying with the idea of a T Scale Newquay line in the background, but we'll see.

Cheers,

Jack

Crikey Jack, this looks fantastic! You seem to have captured the plant very well - not an easy task given how few photographs exist. Ponts mill has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I know it had a rotary dryer and a unique (to the industry) "band dryer", but that's about it. I do believe the band dryer was responsible for the tall structure emerging from the roof of the old dryer. Not sure but I think this might have housed the filter presses for that machine. The loading conveyor that fed the polybulks and tiger wagons fed from this dryer. I believe the band dryer clay was also milled and bagged, then loaded into vans from the stores at the end there. The reason why there was a specific flow to a specific papermaker from this plant was because the plant was so unique! I suspect it may have even been installed at their request to produce the specific grade required. Have you managed to dig up any information on the plant yourself?

Hi Stoker, thanks for the compliments and information!

Since starting the layout I have come across a few, I assume unpublished, pictures of John Vaughans. The relative positions and sizes of a few bits are a little off, but not enough to make me take the building apart.

I think you're probably correct about the filter presses being in the tall structure. There's a conveyor that goes from the largest roof structure to the adjecent structure, it could be possible that the filter cakes dropped from the presses, traversed this conveyor and then down to the band drier.

John Vaughan mentions in his Rails to Newquay book that PRAs and PBAs were loaded by front loading tractor, but I haven't been able to find any other reference to this or any photographs. He also mentions the front loading tractor in the 2nd edition of his Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains, though he describes it as being used to push Tigers under the loader. The front loader he references I think is actually the tractor I've modelled above, there was a similar one at Treviscoe, with buffing plates front and back. I don't like doubting John Vaughan, as after all he actually visited the place in operation several times. Perhaps you can shed some light on this, as I have only seen photos of the conveyor loader and very early(pre band dryer) photos of wheelbarrows being used?

A structure I have yet to model is the silo, there seems to be a pipe going from the main structure to the silo. I assume powdered clay was pumped up to the silo for forwarding by road?

Cheers,

Jack

I don't like doubting John Vaughan, as after all he actually visited the place in operation several times. Perhaps you can shed some light on this, as I have only seen photos of the conveyor loader and very early(pre band dryer) photos of wheelbarrows being used?

A structure I have yet to model is the silo, there seems to be a pipe going from the main structure to the silo. I assume powdered clay was pumped up to the silo for forwarding by road?

Cheers,

Jack

From the little information I have, there was a forklift attachment for the tractor, as well as a dedicated forklift truck inside the store building. That whole end of the building was platform height for loading the vans, but for whatever reason at some point the loading doors were bricked up. After that, bagged clay on pallets was stored outdoors under one of the canopies. So yes at that point, which is around the time Vaughan would've visited, they were loading vans using the tractor.

Little bit of trivia for you: one of the two Par harbour Bagnalls (I believe it was Alfred) spent some time up at Ponts Mill while the resident shunter was out of action. I assume "resident shunter" in this case meant one of those tractor thingies, as I've no record of any other locomotive at that works. If there was then it would've been something generic like an 08, but that was the only time in it's working life that the little Bagnall ever left the docks.

With regards to the Atkinson lorry, the livery was white. ECLP livery was two tone, bottom half blue, top half white. Western Ex had a white livery with I believe a black stripe in the middle. I have some photos somewhere...

Oh, and with regards to the silo, it was pneumatic fed with an auger discharge. The supporting structure was designed to take two silos - an identical one was built at Par docks, and ECCI had planning permission for two but only erected one - surprise surprise Cornwall Council whinged, and Imerys responded by just demolishing it. Can't say I blame them!

It's strange they chose to brick up the door on the store. I was thinking perhaps at some point they needed additional room inside for more equipment and so extended the dries to occupy what was the store.

Thanks for the information on the Atkinson, it'll be good to have it in an authentic livery.

I always thought the silo was strange being asymetric, I didn't realise there was an identical one at Par. I've just looked on Google Street View and you can see it from Par Moor Rd! I assume the one at Pontsmill would have had the enclosure at the base of the silos if it had been completed.

That's interesting information about the Bagnall, perhaps in the future I'll do a little back dating and model one of the pair!

Many Thanks,

Jack

It's strange they chose to brick up the door on the store. I was thinking perhaps at some point they needed additional room inside for more equipment and so extended the dries to occupy what was the store.

Thanks for the information on the Atkinson, it'll be good to have it in an authentic livery.

I always thought the silo was strange being asymetric, I didn't realise there was an identical one at Par. I've just looked on Google Street View and you can see it from Par Moor Rd! I assume the one at Pontsmill would have had the enclosure at the base of the silos if it had been completed.

That's interesting information about the Bagnall, perhaps in the future I'll do a little back dating and model one of the pair!

Many Thanks,

Jack

Wrong silo Jack! The one you're looking for is visible on google maps satellite view, it's just north of a group of silos near a crane, next to the par river. It was demolished recently because Imerys couldn't be bothered to sort out the planning permissions for it. The ones visible from google street view are related to a brand new dryer/mill thingy... I have no idea what it is or how it works, I stopped paying attention to the new stuff after the introduced fluid bed dryers.

Good luck with the bagnall in N, it's smaller than a pug! I drew it out in 4mm scale a little while back just to see how it sized up and I can just about fit a Dapol pug mechanism in there... barely. Might have a go at it sometime, since as far as I'm aware nobody has ever done one to scale before! Might make an interesting mini module to model that low bridge under the main line at Par.

Hello Jack,

Superb work - I am really looking forward to seeing how your project progresses.

The buildings are superb and really capture the character of the locale - all very refreshing subject matter too, in terms of era et al.

Is there any chance that you can super-detail the propriety track so as to match the other - very high - standards of your modelling. I'm not speaking of 2mm FS, but swaping out the track base for one of the more finescale flexi bases (by one or another of the societies)? The points can be adapted, very simply, ala Andy York's work in '00' (the flexi could be too, if replacement sleeper base is not an option). Hopefully, as the layout is relatively small, the cost to upgrade would be minimal - maybe just time alone will do it. Just an observation from a friend thinking out aloud tho himself, that, 'this is looking like a superb model already and that the track needs to reflect and reward such work'. :-)

Kindest regards,

CME

Wrong silo Jack! The one you're looking for is visible on google maps satellite view, it's just north of a group of silos near a crane, next to the par river. It was demolished recently because Imerys couldn't be bothered to sort out the planning permissions for it. The ones visible from google street view are related to a brand new dryer/mill thingy... I have no idea what it is or how it works, I stopped paying attention to the new stuff after the introduced fluid bed dryers.

Good luck with the bagnall in N, it's smaller than a pug! I drew it out in 4mm scale a little while back just to see how it sized up and I can just about fit a Dapol pug mechanism in there... barely. Might have a go at it sometime, since as far as I'm aware nobody has ever done one to scale before! Might make an interesting mini module to model that low bridge under the main line at Par.

I often forget how tiny they were, the top of the roof is about 6" lower than the bottom of a Class 08's windows! I think it can be made to work with a 6mm diameter motor effectively forming the boiler. It will be a challenge for the future! I've been building a model of Denise in N and that's been quite tricky!

Hello Jack,

Superb work - I am really looking forward to seeing how your project progresses.

The buildings are superb and really capture the character of the locale - all very refreshing subject matter too, in terms of era et al.

Is there any chance that you can super-detail the propriety track so as to match the other - very high - standards of your modelling. I'm not speaking of 2mm FS, but swaping out the track base for one of the more finescale flexi bases (by one or another of the societies)? The points can be adapted, very simply, ala Andy York's work in '00' (the flexi could be too, if replacement sleeper base is not an option). Hopefully, as the layout is relatively small, the cost to upgrade would be minimal - maybe just time alone will do it. Just an observation from a friend thinking out aloud tho himself, that, 'this is looking like a superb model already and that the track needs to reflect and reward such work'. :-)

Kindest regards,

CME

Thanks CME!

The track in the images above is standard Peco N, I will be using Finescale (as Peco call it) Code 55 once I get to laying, I just have to pull it off an old layout first! The majority of the track is buried in concrete and the rest is buried in weeds so I think Code 55 suitably weathered will suffice. That said, if I get a job before I begin track laying I may splash out on some nicer track!

Cheers,

Jack

They had narrow gauge cylinders, I think that says it all really! They were dear little things though. Think I might have to make it my next project.

Perhaps with your 3D modelling skills and my scale drawings we could collaborate on a project to get one uploaded onto the shapeways site, as a shell that will fit on a pug chassis?

They had narrow gauge cylinders, I think that says it all really! They were dear little things though. Think I might have to make it my next project.

Perhaps with your 3D modelling skills and my scale drawings we could collaborate on a project to get one uploaded onto the shapeways site, as a shell that will fit on a pug chassis?

We could certainly give it a go, if you have the dimensions of the chassis and scale drawings. I have some scale drawings from a book called "Pit to Port", though they are low resolution scans so not brilliant.

Cheers,

Jack

The baseboard has now been built up so it is at railhead height. The track will sit in a trench which will then be filled following a method similar to Andy's: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-44-inset-trackwork-on-keyhaven/

post-146-0-55107600-1392472729_thumb.jpg

Denise has come down from Rocks for gauging trials at Pontsmill, it seems an extra mm is needed so I've worked that into the design. Even though Denise probably never visited Pontsmill it'll make an interesting piece of stock to run!

Cheers,

Jack

Here's a closer view:

post-146-0-00980700-1392484520_thumb.jpg

I also did a blog a long while ago: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/689/entry-8334-a-cornish-sentinel/

There is still pretty much everything left to do paint wise. I need to paint the under frame black, rub the orange back and apply a second coat as well as the wasp stripes on the buffer beam! Then cover the whole lot in clay muck!

The wheelbase is 1mm short, but that's because it's the best fitting chassis I could get. The chassis next to a 1 pence piece:

post-146-0-21662400-1392484531_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

Ah, thanks Jack-sorry I missed that blog post. I'm really impressed with how this is coming together. Please do take some in progress pics of infilling the track, as I've always been scared of doing it!

Crikey that Sentinel looks massive! :-p

I'd forgotten you'd done that one, it'll look great with a good coating of white. I like the foam idea, the worst bit of doing my inlaid track was filing the plastic to match the slight curve of the track. I've read Andy's entry before, but will have to remember it for next time!

jo

Crikey that Sentinel looks massive! :-p

I'd forgotten you'd done that one, it'll look great with a good coating of white. I like the foam idea, the worst bit of doing my inlaid track was filing the plastic to match the slight curve of the track. I've read Andy's entry before, but will have to remember it for next time!

jo

The track is completely straight through the concrete apart from the area around and within the point so 90% should be straight forward. I have the peco template for the Code 55 point, so I'm thinking of using that to draw up some infills which I can then cut on the silhouette, in theory they should drop in. Do you know how wide the flange way should be?

Cheers,

Jack

Honestly, I have no idea. Though in practice, 1mm seems to work, though you could probably get away with smaller. On mine I made the centre strip about 7mm I think, tried wheels over it to see if it'd run ok. I used a wagon with shiny silver Poole era wheels, just to be safe. Although I didn't normally run stock with those old wheels in, so of the Dapol wheel standards can be a bit 'loose' so extra clearance is useful to be safe

jo

The best method I could come up with for doing track laid in concrete, was by gluing plastruct Z section, 1.6mm x 1mm, either side of the chairs like so:

post-10374-0-86840700-1392582132.jpg

The space inbetween could then either be filled with self leveling plaster, or bridged with styrene sheet. I found it was easier to achieve a close to real life flangeway using this method.

Archived