Update time!

Scenic work is continuing as and when I have spare few minutes. I'm currently adding the road/path that goes to the Pontsvale Clay Works, this is sandpaper sprayed a similar colour to the concrete around the Clay Works. The grass at the front of the layout will be fields; I have some sheep that I bought at Gas Cupboard Models whilst on a photography jaunt with "ewsjo", these sheep will probably populate the fields.

post-146-0-47124000-1394056954_thumb.jpg

There's plenty more scatter to be added as well as the trees. Hopefully the trees will arrive tomorrow.

post-146-0-88854800-1394057040_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

Sheep? I thought this was Cornwall, not Wales :-p

Progress looks good, I like the over grown track. It's something I have to do on part of the upper level of mine, and will be good practise for future layouts I have planned!

You've certainly captured the greenness of Cornwall very well from my memory of the place

jo

I am sort of assuming that there are sheep, on my visits to Cornwall I haven't been that interested in livestock! The "Devon & Cornwall Longwool" I assume got the name because some exist in Devon and Cornwall somewhere!

At some point I need to build a display box to put the layout in, as the layout is already quite heavy, I was thinking of getting it fabricated in Aluminium sheet, depending on cost of course!

Cheers,

Jack

Update time!

The trees arrived today. Overall they seem quite good for the money. They are constructed from wire and foam, the wire is painted brown, though it's a little patchy in a few places.

The trees arrive flattened in an envelope, which is good in someways because it fits in the letter box!

post-146-0-74088400-1394192887_thumb.jpg

Once you take them out the packet it's fairly straight forward to bend the wires out into a shape you want. Here's a bloke and wagon to give scale:

post-146-0-73209200-1394192864_thumb.jpg

Here's a back-lit view:

post-146-0-54001100-1394192908_thumb.jpg

The trees look a little bland as is, but I'm sure I can find some ways to improve them, I'm certainly pleased with them for the money! They are certainly good enough value that for a reasonable price you could make a whole forest from them! I'll do another post once I decide what treatment to give them!

Cheers,

Jack

Hi,

That's looking great, your progress is fantastic.

One of the best views is of a model railway is, IMHO, Petherick (Link herewith but not brilliant photo - sorry) and the size of the trees is quite an eye opener.

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26941

I hope that helps, Mr. Norman's work is well worth a look for inspiration and ideas etc.

Kindest,

CME

• 1 month later...

Sorry it has been a while!

The last few weeks I have been settling into my new job, so the layout has taken a bit of a back seat. I have done a bit of work on it though, mostly on the scenery. I'm needing to order more, bigger trees!

Here's where Pontsmill presently stands:

post-146-0-82580900-1398537730_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be at the open day with ewsjo and his layout Embankment Road.

Best Regards,

Jack

Archived