Heljan Dogfish availability

dagrizz

Yesterday, I missed out on buying a pack of Olive green dogfish wagons from the classified section - they were gone within an hour of posting. This is the second time in recent months that I wasn't quite quick enough off the mark for some of these wagons. I don't see any of these at toyfairs or on second hand stalls.

However, it does raise questions about the supply of these. 1960's black dogfish wagons were never released singly - only in a fourpack with 1970's variants. I don't remember the green ones being sold new at all - must have slipped past me. My impression though is that Heljan released a lot more later-period versions of the wagon. Given that the steam/diesel transition era is still very popular, I think we've been sold a bit short.

And for those who may want to suggest I build Cambrian kits, well, building one Cambrian catfish has put me off for life! :stinker:

Regards

Graham    

Do agree with you - some 4 packs of plain olive green ones would suit rather than the mixed varieties in 4099.

However, Hatton's are doing a good deal on set 4099 at the moment - if you can build a Cambrian catfish then repainting the two black ones olive green and applying some of Mr Isherwood's fine transfers should be a breeze....................

Availability of my Heljan Dogfish is fortunately 100% today, as the main line's closed for a possession...

Oh, hang on... what was the question again?

EDIT: joking aside, I found a pair of '60s black ones on eBay this morning to cascade out a couple of olive drab wagons.  Patience is the key, they are out there.

Try Trains4U, they were selling single wagons from split packs a little while back, always seenmed to be sitting on the floor in the shop.

Stewart

Yes, I bought one or two black examples from them, including one from set #4099 that Hattons are currently selling.

Graham

Wish I could get my hands on a dozen black examples.

Yesterday, I missed out on buying a pack of Olive green dogfish wagons from the classified section - they were gone within an hour of posting. This is the second time in recent months that I wasn't quite quick enough off the mark for some of these wagons.    

Well you could buy 6 x 4099 sets between you and do a bit of swapsies ?? :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Availability of my Heljan Dogfish is fortunately 100% today, as the main line's closed for a possession...

Oh, hang on... what was the question again?

EDIT: joking aside, I found a pair of '60s black ones on eBay this morning to cascade out a couple of olive drab wagons.  Patience is the key, they are out there.

I got impatient. I used the black rattlecan and a sheet of transfers

• RMweb Premium

I got impatient. I used the black rattlecan and a sheet of transfers

I got impatient too, having been unable to find black ones singly, and bought the Set 4099 mentioned above with two black and two olive green.

The black ones look suitable for a steam era layout (although one is Western Region and the other Scottish Region, but wagons do wander about the country....), but I believe the olive livery was introduced around 1963, OK still steam era but a bit too late for my layout.  However both the olive ones in this set carry TOPS codes.

I did think of going down the black paint and transfers route, but don't really want four Dogfish anyway; I'm holding out for a couple of the forthcoming Hornby Trout in black to complete a short (but more varied) rake of ballast wagons.  Luckily I know someone who might be interested in taking the olive ones off my hands!

I've weathered up the black ones; this is what they look like now.  The yellow diamond adds a splash of colour, even if it is an ScR marking!

post-31-0-21455000-1391447234.jpg

Archived