APA Park - N Gauge in an Ikea Box

A question... what kind of yard clutter do you think you would find in a yard similar to this... are boxes/drums/pallets too cliche?

Hi Steve - looking good.

I think pallets get everywhere! Modern ones are often painted too green, blue, yellow etc.. I think drums and sacks are a bit 'steam era', but it hasn't stopped me using them!! I think some of the peco/ratio bikes can look good. Sleepers are also pretty much everywhere too.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve - looking good.

I think pallets get everywhere! Modern ones are often painted too green, blue, yellow etc.. I think drums and sacks are a bit 'steam era', but it hasn't stopped me using them!! I think some of the peco/ratio bikes can look good. Sleepers are also pretty much everywhere too.

David

Thanks David,

I've just been on to your thread to have a look and got a few ideas... I think I'm going to try and source a container, skip and portaloo for a little cameo down the front, anol with a pile of rail and sleepers at the back, by the walling...

An empty cable drum or three rotting away in the overgrowth and a pile of old ballast would make some sense, just think about what clutter normally gets ignored after a line possession, which is an entirely plausible backstory for that little yard.

Depends how far you want to take it, burnt patch of grass and a couple of bent / removed palisade verticals from the yoofs raising hell perhaps? Litter on a modern urban railway line is compulsory unfortunately, and not modelled enough. Vegetation should probably be much taller and thicker than the short lawns laid so far ;)

In railway terms, point motors or more likely levers and rodding, plus buffer stops, yard lights and some cabling along the retaining wall will probably just 'look right', and add interest to the scene without taking up much room. You can get away without signals on the lower level under the assumption the yard throat is off stage, but will probably need something for dispatching trains from the platforms.

Edited by Saddletank

Shopping trolley (not sure of any UK suppliers), washing machine, old sofa (both of which should be easy for you to do looking at the buffer stops you made).

Room for a burnt out car - if that's not too cheesy?

Edit: Found a UK supplier for shopping carts http://www.ntasticshop.co.uk/Grocery-Store-Shopping-Carts-Trollies/dp/B008GGAPLE?field_availability=-1&field_browse=1941890031&field_keywords=cart&id=Grocery+Store+Shopping+Carts+Trollies&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice&searchKeywords=cart&searchNodeID=1941890031&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Edited by cromptonnut

• RMweb Premium

Done a bit more this morning. Some point levers and a lighting tower from TPM, a few bits of rail, a repaint of the station and some lamp posts made from gardening wire.

14132655997_1943caf57e_c.jpg

20140601_112222 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14317369932_18fa8f95ec_c.jpg

20140601_113410 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14132515538_92e23ecc2e_c.jpg

20140601_113811 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Job list:

Make benches and planters for the station platforms.

Paint lighting tower.

Bed in the road overbridge and fill gaps with vegetation.

General 'rubbish' lying around

Aquire some people and plant them. (no cash left to buy before comp deadline!)

Fit nameboards to station and general signage.

Aquire a 20ft container and some general clutter. (see above!)

Find/borrow a 16v power supply to test point motors. (see above!)

Fit control panel to fiddle yard.

Cut/paint/fit front fascia to fiddle yard.

Layout name on fascia.

Fit rubber feet to both units

Test Test and Test again

Does anybody think I have missed anything?

All that before saturday?!?!

Edited by stevepurves

Think sea containers are available as printable downloads cheap at scalescenes and a few others, shouldn't be more than £2 for as many as you like. People might be a challenge to do cheap by the weekend, you can buy bulk packs for next to nothing off ebay but they come from the other side of the world and need painted first.

Most of the rest of the list are easy hits and add a lot to the effect for little modelling time invested. Good luck!

Edit: Or how about some free building kits? http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/railside.html

Edited by Saddletank

this is terrific. very inspiring. dangerously and distractingly inspiring in fact, as I may have to have a go at this soon...

good luck with the show. I love what you've done with it. sure-fire hit methinks! :)

• RMweb Premium

2 Days to go!!!

Heres a few 'play shots' with some stock. Signage by Scalescenes, Buffer stop lights from Gaugemaster.

14156495097_09cb271b1a_c.jpg
Apa Park update by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14319857166_483e2b07da_c.jpg

14363175793_25a1ccbb0f_c.jpg

14319860846_4ce66a5f19_c.jpg

14156500637_52f79ff36c_c.jpg

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 9