APA Park - N Gauge in an Ikea Box

Wow - congratulations Steve. I would love to have made it to Westbury, but was at Legoland with the kids. (clearly some of the modelmakers there like railways - surprisingly good renditions of locos!)

Congratulations on the well deserved trophy!

• RMweb Premium

Right, Now I have had chance to regroup…

Firstly thank you all for such kind wishes and comments, I don’t hold much confidence for my own ability and this project – as a return to modelling – was a bit of a practice run… The reception on the day was nothing short of remarkable, quite a few of my little booklets went (basically a chronological  print off of photos and captions from the forum in A5 booklet format) and there were so many people taking inspiration from seeing the toy box evolve. The most common thing I heard all day was ‘isn’t it small’, well yes it is, and I suppose I hadn’t realised as I was building it the impression it would give to those people viewing it for the first time or those who have only seen photo’s online. The box holds a kind of Tardis effect, having drawn you in its bigger on the inside!

The height of the tables weren’t ideal, being a bit low. The casual observer wouldn’t have seen the station at all! Again, on the plus side, once you stop and look, the lower you go the box draws you in and it reveals more and more. I did think about a set of legs but this would then destroy everything that made the box ‘small’

The exhibition in itself was great, the selection of layouts were for me excellent (some might say D+E biased) a good selection of trade and secondhand were on offer. I had number two son with me and no assistant for the day so action was a bit lacking on my layout, only being able to move stuff briefly between walks to see more ‘shoo shoos’.

What next for Apa Park? Well I have been pondering this over the weekend. I really would like to bring it to a wider audience, so possibly look in to a magazine article or some carefully selected exhibitions (due to family commitments) I am planning its successor already (two plans, but which to do first?) but I could be persuaded to sell for the right price, there are a few little bits left to do to completely finish it off, so I will probably potter  along with these until one of the above happens!

I didn’t get chance to take many pictures at the show due to having my hands rather full but here’s two that I did manage…

14394928193_3cf8d941cd_c.jpg

Street level. Apa Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14373823284_cd8eb142c2_c.jpg

Station level. Apa Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Steve

• Like 3

Right, Now I have had chance to regroup…

Firstly thank you all for such kind wishes and comments, I don’t hold much confidence for my own ability and this project – as a return to modelling – was a bit of a practice run… The reception on the day was nothing short of remarkable, quite a few of my little booklets went (basically a chronological  print off of photos and captions from the forum in A5 booklet format) and there were so many people taking inspiration from seeing the toy box evolve. The most common thing I heard all day was ‘isn’t it small’, well yes it is, and I suppose I hadn’t realised as I was building it the impression it would give to those people viewing it for the first time or those who have only seen photo’s online. The box holds a kind of Tardis effect, having drawn you in its bigger on the inside!

The height of the tables weren’t ideal, being a bit low. The casual observer wouldn’t have seen the station at all! Again, on the plus side, once you stop and look, the lower you go the box draws you in and it reveals more and more. I did think about a set of legs but this would then destroy everything that made the box ‘small’

The exhibition in itself was great, the selection of layouts were for me excellent (some might say D+E biased) a good selection of trade and secondhand were on offer. I had number two son with me and no assistant for the day so action was a bit lacking on my layout, only being able to move stuff briefly between walks to see more ‘shoo shoos’.

What next for Apa Park? Well I have been pondering this over the weekend. I really would like to bring it to a wider audience, so possibly look in to a magazine article or some carefully selected exhibitions (due to family commitments) I am planning its successor already (two plans, but which to do first?) but I could be persuaded to sell for the right price, there are a few little bits left to do to completely finish it off, so I will probably potter  along with these until one of the above happens!

I didn’t get chance to take many pictures at the show due to having my hands rather full but here’s two that I did manage…

14394928193_3cf8d941cd_c.jpg

Street level. Apa Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14373823284_cd8eb142c2_c.jpg

Station level. Apa Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Steve

Wow. Truly stunning, atmospheric etc etc and a whole bunch of other superlatives... Great work in a short space of time. Magic.

• RMweb Premium

Had to take this shot this morning, the trophy and the layout in comparison…

14387534514_619b644acd_c.jpg

Trophy and Layout by Steve Purves, on Flickr

I have just realised I hadn’t posted a picture of the station without a train in it… so here you go.

14387152852_f1cb25ea43_c.jpg

station detail by Steve Purves, on Flickr

My next project for the next few weeks/months will be to bring all my stock up to scratch for an impending magazine article… I started last night by adding end details to two of my locos, as seen below. I now need to aquire an ‘air dam’ for the front of my Dapol 66 before detailing that and my Farish 60. I have a Farish 37035 (dutch) on the way that will be similarly treated, they will all be blown over with varying levels of dirt and weathering before I start on the wagon sets…

14387529604_77d3044ede_c.jpg

buffer beam detailing by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 9

Now there's an inspiration - N gauge layout set on a piece of full size rail! Does bring it home just how small N gauge really is.

Enjoy the magazine article, and be sure to fly the flag for APA and micro layouts - any hints which mag? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Had an attempt at weathering last night, I don’t want to go too heavy on it but wanted a light dusting. This is the first time I have tried weathering with an airbrush and I am quite pleased with the results…

14267589407_85ddd6db70_c.jpg

Weathering progress by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14452680982_f56b2461c6_c.jpg

14450688471_b3781312d0_c.jpg

14267600787_4d3726ee6b_c.jpg

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Did a spot more weathering last night on the set of PCA’s and my new 37. The 37 will be renumbered to 37012 because as far as I can tell that was the only dutch/0 that carried black headcode boxes. Have decided to move on my JGA’s as they were a bit too modern in their depiction and have a set of BAA steel coil carriers coming in their place.

Now I need two sets of numbers for 37012, a buyer for the JGA’s and possibly aquire one more set of wagons but I’m not sure what will be next… (a few more seacows won’t go amiss)

14506408144_2d8d2c9028_c.jpg

20140625_204307 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14506627502_b5531c017f_c.jpg

20140625_204140 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14321106990_ff23340200_c.jpg

20140625_204116 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14506415124_824a5a1d00_c.jpg

20140625_203531 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Some new acquisitions arrived on Saturday courtesy of NGF member Stevieboy, a rake of 5 railfreight BAA steel coil wagons. I have decided to fit these with cradles rather than stanchions, these being glued to the wagon and the loads left loose (so I can show them loaded or unloaded) The next job on the cards is to grime these up as they always seem covered in brake dust in real life. I’m not sure about the loads yet, I may repaint the coils to a better colour?

14540989135_d893dc6319_c.jpg
Grid on the Steel by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14540036712_f77ceb7799_c.jpg
Under the Bridge by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14517882286_acde3bc4c5_c.jpg
Empty BAA's by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Whilst photographing the wagons I had a very quick play with video mode. I’m not sure if it works well but heres some basic efforts. If it is well received I may put a short operating sequence together.

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 8

Hi Steve,

The videos look good. Just a couple of tips from my own experimentation...

Purchase a generic digital camera mini-tripod, mine cost £7 from Argos. This means that the camera is absolutely static and then you can edit knowing that the frames will fit together and  the viewer won't be able to tell where you've cut and spliced the clips.

The generic video editing tools on a PC or Mac are actually pretty good and self-explanatory!

I've got quite into making videos - planning a few more now!

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

I did think about that, although I haven't found one that grips a mobile phone as yet (all pictures on this thread are either Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4) I have now run the videos through the youtube stabilisaztion program and it seems to have helped. I will have a go at putting something a bit more professional (my younger brother is a director of photography - http://www.karlpoyzer.com/ ) I will have to try and twist his arm...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the votes so far... Updates on Apa Park will be few and far between now, as my new project is underway. I consider Apa Park to be pretty much finished and available for shows and the like. There are a few little things I would like to add, streetlights along the front road and overbridger for one, a few more people on the station being another. I plan to add a standpipe in the road with hose running to the nearside line in the yard for servicing my new Black Five when it arrives.

My new project, currently nameless is also using Apa Boxes, a pair - spliced together. I was unsure whether it belongs here or in the main layout section, as the Apa Box mentality is firmlly in the micro layout camp, but now with the overall scenic area being just over 4 foot long, this is not what I consider a micro layout in N gauge!

The thread can be found here... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87597-apa-something/

Micro or not? what do you think? Honorary Micro as it uses Apas? anyway, the thread is currently residing in the layout topics sections...

Finally, Many thanks for all the kind words and ecouragement on this, my first scenic railway from scratch by myself.

Steve

• Like 2