Bachmann GWR City Truro class 4-4-0

Hi

Just looking at the add on bits for this lovely model and I see I have a pack of what look to be brass plates.

How are these fitted please? just glue them over the ones that come on the loco, and if so what glue.

Thanks

post-1423-0-23076400-1391168880_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

So do I fix them over the existing ones then?

Provided you can't see the existing ones underneath on any side, probably no problem doing that. I'd use a touch of Evostick Impact glue, on a small area of the brass plate only, should be enough to hold it in place.

I would be a little wary of Evostik, as I have seen it affect some plastics. You could test it on a hidden bit somewhere.  I use PVA, which is water-based and sets to a rubbery consistency.  It all depends on how firmly you want them fixed and whether you expect ever to want to remove them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

OK so I decided to have my first try at brass name and number plates as supplied with this model.

P1000627s_zpsa63b63b6.jpg

I am not sure if to fit the number plates as the originals have red lining while the brass ones won't, however I like the clarity of the brass plates.

I noticed to that the brass works plate does not seem as clear as the original?

P1000629s_zps13712b70.jpg

I think etched plates always look better than printed ones, however well done.

The line should be orange and 1/8" thick - theoretically invisible in 4mm scale, as well below the resolution of the human eye. The contrast with the background does seem to make it noticeable however.

I think etched plates always look better than printed ones, however well done.

The line should be orange and 1/8" thick - theoretically invisible in 4mm scale, as well below the resolution of the human eye. The contrast with the background does seem to make it noticeable however.

Thanks David, I do prefer the look of the brass number plates! I really am in two minds as to proceed or not?

OK I took the plunge and in fact I think they look much better!

However, while using the air cleaner on the loco I made a discovery!

P1000630s_zps12048769.jpg

The smoke box door opens!!!

Here is the loco with the brass plates, I decided not to fit the one on the back of the tender as the brass one was of poor quality and not the same size as the printed one

P1000632s_zps04ea25cc.jpg

Archived