Warship detail differences

Stalwart, my models will be,

D806 Cambrian discs all green

D814 Dragon small yellow ends, standard Heljan model.

D845 Sprightly. Very small yellow end with white Brow.

All will probably have replacement couplings and pipes etc.

I'm sure there will be others who would like to alter the stock Heljan model in to either one of the earlier disc variants or the NB locos.

Gives an option to have the different sound chips then as well.

I will happily supply Pete Harvey with a model for all the relevant measurements and as a prototype.

Yes I know what you mean, it does seem more pronounced on some photos. There is also a noticable difference on the line that runs the length of the loco about six inches from the bottom of the bodyside. All the Swindon built locos have this line visible which is because the lower six inches or so are inset by maybe about an eighth of an inch wheras it varies from being visible on some NBL machines and non-existant on others! This very slightly inset section explains why the locos turned out in blue with the four cabside double-arrow logos had the data panel added between logo and cab door, whereas some of the NBL machines in that livery had the data panel underneath the logo!

These 71 locos really are a fascinating challenge to model with all the subtle differences!

Steve,

D806 with discs will be the same in every respect as D803-D812 (jumper cables and upper nose handrails were different on D800-D802) so a photo of any of these machines before modification to headcodes will provide you with the detail you need.

D814 is a 'standard' Swindon product as per the Bachmann 'OO' model.

D845 Had all the details mentioned earlier for NBL machines and had the 'smooth' bodyside as mentioned in the above post.

I wonder if the tower DJH model had the different parts they say on the web site it's the class 42/43.

I've had a look on shaw plans web site and they show the two different fan covers all be it 4mm,

If the DJH model does build both them maybe I could get hold of the bits from some one who built the 42 variant.

Since I have two of those kits in my possession, and they will both be Swindon built examples (817 MFYE  and 824 BFYE, both running as at 1970), you are welcome to any spare parts I can find. Once the Heljan model is with us, we'll look into it, let me know.

PS: I see one of your locos will be D814, standard Heljan model........that's what you said about the Western!

Jeff that's great many thanks, yes I'm not sure how much will get changed on the " standard " model we will have to wait and see. But it should be good fun creating the other two examples.

Pipes & couplings will get changed on all three mind and that little step on the buffer might be a prime candidate for an etch replacement

Plates will of course come from Severn mill and they are up dating the range to include any missing examples.

I've already asked Chris to do plates for D817, and he's agreed.

Having those two kits myself, I might be up for some etched add-ons, I'll have to look once they start to appear.

Once you have some idea what you need from me, PM me and I'll open up one of the kits and see what's available and what's not.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm still slightly undecided then if the stock Heljan model can be turned into one of the NB examples, the parts that concern me the most is the seam, I suppose we won't know until the model arrives.

Did Tower just over look this area and just provide the differing roof details and lights

Doh.

It might also be the platform at Exeter St.Davids that contains the main station building - look at the structure just in the top left of shot.

The picture of 806 is almost certainly on the approaches to Waterloo, taken from the block of flats on the south west side, and indicating that the loco was probably about to take a service to Exeter via Salisbury.

John.

It might also be the platform at Exeter St.Davids that contains the main station building - look at the structure just in the top left of shot.

John.

Could well be. There are only two tracks between 7 & 9 at Temple Meads

Archived