00 gauge SMP Scaleway or C&L Flexi track

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody post photos of these two makes of ready-made track please? I have made a couple of hand-built turnouts using 1.2 mm copper-clad sleepers and want flexi track to match. I wondered if there was much difference between the two makes? C&L go to some lengths on their website to show and tell the reader of their product but there's nothing on the Marcway site save the price, which is a little cheaper than C&L. I know C&L's sleepers are only 0.8 mm thick, so would need a little packing to fit hand-built turnouts. How thick are SMP sleepers for instance?

Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find a similar topic.

How thick are SMP sleepers for instance?.

I have just measured the height of C&L track, to rail top is 3.4 mm, rail height 2.14 mm. The sleeper height is 0.84 mm but the chair on the sleeper adds about 0.4mm so they should match in height

Hi John,

Not too sure that you answered the question :)

Are you able to advice on the height of the SMP track/sleeper?? I'd also be very interested to know.

Ian

Hi John,

Not too sure that you answered the question :)

Are you able to advice on the height of the SMP track/sleeper?? I'd also be very interested to know.

Ian

Ian

Sorry if I confused you but was just trying to inform you that the C&L track does not need packing to match the height of your turnouts. I have only got old SMP (40 + years) track, so it may have changed by now. I use C&L products as I prefer their copperclad strip, as it is cut by a router giving a uniform width and has a square cut, the last lot of copperclad strip I got from Marcway was very variable in width. Also I find C&L is available at the shows I go to. 

Scaleway was OK when I bought it and as Gordon has said, he uses it.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info regarding the overall height of the two tracks it seems as if both will do the job. What I really wanted was what do they look like compared with one another? Do they both look the same or is one slightly better in appearance than the other? C&L say that the sleeper length and spacing is done so that the track does not look "narrow gauge", does SMP do the same? C&L might also say that their NS is high in nickel content so looks like steel.

• 1 year later...

This is SMP track...

attachicon.gifDSCF5405.jpg

Gordon, you are a master of track construction! Like many, many  others, I have watched Eastwood Town via the thread from afar and have been deeply impressed by your abilities (and dismayed by the times you have chucked the whole thing away and started again!). Partly because of you I've sold my collection of Peco track and ordered some C+L components, but plan on using SMP flex. How do you join your track together? With Peco there are rail joiners, and I know SMP sells a similar item for bullhead rail. But is there a better solution?

I've just ordered a whole load of bits from C+L, amongst them loads of plastic chairs and sleepers in 1.6mm thickness for building turnouts. I'm planning on using SMP flexi between the turnouts. Have I ordered the correct thickness of sleepers, or should I have ordered 0.8mm? So much to worry about!!

Richard

In my opinion you have chosen the correct thickness sleepers for turnout and crossing construction, as the thinner sleepers tend to curl upwards over time due to the solvent drying out and shrinking. SMP flexi track has thinner sleepers (as does C&L flexi track) the simple solution is to have card packing underneath.

If you have not bought the track yet consider the Exactoscale fast-track bases, these are 1.6 mm thick and match what you have bought. You will have to buy and thread the rail yourself (quite easy) but I feel its a much better product

An alternative is the Exactoscale plastic fishplates  http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=346_347_349&product_id=4184 These are quite fragile, but sturdy enough to hold all together whilst the glue is setting. They really do look the business

Richard

In my opinion you have chosen the correct thickness sleepers for turnout and crossing construction, as the thinner sleepers tend to curl upwards over time due to the solvent drying out and shrinking. SMP flexi track has thinner sleepers (as does C&L flexi track) the simple solution is to have card packing underneath.

If you have not bought the track yet consider the Exactoscale fast-track bases, these are 1.6 mm thick and match what you have bought. You will have to buy and thread the rail yourself (quite easy) but I feel its a much better product

An alternative is the Exactoscale plastic fishplates  http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=346_347_349&product_id=4184 These are quite fragile, but sturdy enough to hold all together whilst the glue is setting. They really do look the business

One main difference not mentioned is that with SMP track you have to cut the web to flex with C&L you don't.

• 2 months later...

I've been comparing SMP and C&L EM Gauge flexitrack. To my surprise, they're noticeably different. SMP sleeper average width is about 0.338mm whilst C&L average width is about 0.343. (Scale is 0.333 wide). SMP sleeper average spacing is about 0.897mm apart, whilst C&L average spacing is about 1.03mm. (Scale intermediate sleeper spacing is about 0.97mm). Sleeper lengths are identical.

These differences may be small, but the track appearance is noticeably different. Curiously, I think the SMP track looks better, but decided to use C&L for both flexible track and point components because it seems to be more accurate and is likely to give a more complementary appearance between points & track.

Perhaps in 00 gauge SMP & C&L are identical, I don't know.

Perhaps someone would correct me if I've made an error here.

SMP Scaleway is now owned by Marcway and is older than C&L

C&L is by C&L they also supply Exactoscale fast track bases

C&L sleepers are 3.39 mm wide (give or take the odd thou),standard 8' 6" lengths.  About correct sleeper spacing, will depend on era/region, certainly looks much better than 00/H0 from RTR suppliers 

One key issue is that C+L flexible  has a reputation for catching the flanges on some modern RTR. The problem is with the tip of the flange striking the chair moulding. The chairs on SMP are less prominent, so this does not happen

The problem with C+L chair strike is intermittent and has been suggested it may relate to wear or damage to one out of several moulds for the track base.

One key issue is that C+L flexible  has a reputation for catching the flanges on some modern RTR. The problem is with the tip of the flange striking the chair moulding. The chairs on SMP are less prominent, so this does not happen

The problem with C+L chair strike is intermittent and has been suggested it may relate to wear or damage to one out of several moulds for the track base.

From what I understand is that the chairs are scale size and some of the earlier better quality RTR wheels bumped along the tops of the chairs, nothing to do with the moulding process, NEM standard and those wheels with the finescale label are OK

I just measured a piece of SMP and the clearance from the rail head to the top of the chairs is 0.8 mm which is quite a bit less than the typical flange depth. However, the chairs do not project very far from the inside of the rails so the face of the flange does not contact the side of the chairs even though the flange is lower than the top of the chairs..

I don't have any C&L for comparison, but it may be that the issue was more to do with chair width (across the gauge) rather than the height.

Archived