Degreasing solution?

Hi all...

this a bogie off a second hand Bachmann cl 57 in DRS livery;

post-21664-0-47399500-1391290289_thumb.jpg

It may not be too clear on the pic., but it is COVERED in a greasy/oily substance, which the dust sticks to. This is a problem as I intend to weather this model, and am worried about the finish I will acheive.

So...does anybody know of (preferably) a product I can soak the bogie in, so it is free of grease...or a spray (or similar) that I can use?

(Also be greatful to know how easy it is to use and your experiences of it.)

TIA

Jack. :locomotive:

(EDIT: spellings)

Try washing soda - very cheap in most supermarkets, often in a green packet next to the laundry powder. Make up as per packet instructions. Works wonders on brass kits during and after the build, oily car parts and anything else similar. It does seem to leave sound paint intact, but I'd make sure before soaking anything important. Rinse and repeat if necessary, thorough final rinse and dry.

I use the green bag with washing soda crystals inside for degreasing and cleaning metal after soldering etc. It's effective and very cheap.

I keep the expensive spray can of IPA for more delicate things like CDs/DVDs.

I did purchase a defluxing spray from an electronics shop, but found it not as good as washing soda, and much more expensive.

Enjoy your Sunday

Thane of Fife

Hi Jack

It's a wise precaution otherwise the paint doesn't stick.

I recently had a couple of 66s apart and just washed the bogie frames in the kitchen sink with "fairy liquid" (other similar products are available...) then left to thoroughly dry before airbrushing.

I may have used a toothbrush lightly on each to ensure the grease was washed off.

Regards

Nick

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply... :sungum:

Mum is going to tesco today, so I'll ask her to get me a bag of washing soda, but first I'll see if fairy liquid does the job... Got some of that! :locomotive:

Many, many thanks

Jack.

If all else fails, I swear by Wickes Paintbrush Cleaner, the blue liquid.

Soak, and brush with an old paintbrush/toothbrush, then was in hot water and washing up liquid, it will remove even the thickest grease, and is bio-degradeable.

Thank you everyone,

Today I tried washing them in a bowl with fairy liquid and water......they look OK, but the real test will come when I try to weather them..... :unsure: :dontknow:

Thanks for all the replies,

Jack

and just washed the bogie frames in the kitchen sink with "fairy liquid" (other similar products are available...) then left to thoroughly dry before airbrushing.

Thank you everyone,

Today I tried washing them in a bowl with fairy liquid and water......they look OK, but the real test will come when I try to weather them..... :unsure: :dontknow:

Thanks for all the replies,

Jack

Not a good idea, such products contain 'lanolin', which isn't conducive to a good paint finish.

Water on it's own isn't good at removing grease. Hence all the adverts for dishwasher powders/tablets with "excellent grease cleaning properties".

Note to advertisers: I don't want my grease clean...I want it REMOVED!!!

Archived