The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Liquid Side of Life

Hammer

Yes ?, but where's round here ? You aint giving much away

Sorry I do appologise! The cricket themed micro brewery is in Cheadle, Staffs, we also have Blithe Brewery and Backyard Brewhouse both near Lichfield, and Joules and Lymestones in Stone to name a few. Hope that makes it a bit clearer!

10 out of 10! Thanks for the link!

Jim

Sorry I do appologise! The cricket themed micro brewery is in Cheadle, Staffs, we also have Blithe Brewery and Backyard Brewhouse both near Lichfield, and Joules and Lymestones in Stone to name a few. Hope that makes it a bit clearer!

10 out of 10! Thanks for the link!

Jim

What's the deal with the resurrection of the Joules name these days? I seem to recall that the brewing was initially farmed out to Coach House of Warrington, but the long-term plan was always to brew in Staffs. eventually, although the Joules website seems to suggest that they have upped sticks to Market Drayton instead. :icon_confused:

David

Here`s my `thrupenceworth` ,if you can read it. Damn computer.

Whisky is only ever single malts, in first place Ardbeg, then Laphroig. Did`nt Sheep dip used to have a yellow label ?.

Beers. I like very dark ales, not for the alchol content, but their strong flavours. At present I`m liking McEwans Champion 7.3%. Adnams Droadside 6.3%, Old Peculiar and the Original John Smiths Magnet bitter if you can get it on tap. Guinness always slips down very peacfully. I tried `Winter Ale` in a pub in York before Xmas but can`t remember who brewed it ?????. Lovely. A relative is a drayman for Black Sheep so that goes without saying. Blonde beers,.......nah, waste of time and lager, well..............

Not keen on ruby ales.

Kindest

Ian

Magnet is an excellent beer, more character to it than the ordinary cask John Smiths, and I always took the trouble to track it down on a night out when I was studying up in York. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, though;

http://www.beer-pages.com/2010/01/magnet-loses-its-pulling-power.html

Gutted! :(

David

I'm VERY pleased, I've finally found a retailer in Kent who sells Otter Bright, my absolute favourite beer... The manager was rather taken aback by me taking bottles off the shelf two at a time! At least they know it'll sell well! :blink:

I'm VERY pleased, I've finally found a retailer in Kent who sells Otter Bright, my absolute favourite beer... The manager was rather taken aback by me taking bottles off the shelf two at a time! At least they know it'll sell well! :blink:

That's one of the ones from Ottery St Mary isn't it?

I'd completely forgotten about it. Lovely beers from there.

After a trip to Belgium about 10 years ago I came back full of the joys of Leffe Brune and Blond. Went into my local Asda and asked the Manager there is there was any chance they'd consider stocking it. He actually laughed out loud and said " No chance. There's no demand in the UK for such stuff." You see Leffe everywhere now in th UK including ASDA!!!!

Moral of the story 1. No one knows anyhthing.(i.e It's all opinion)

2. ASDA is run by idiots.

What's the deal with the resurrection of the Joules name these days? I seem to recall that the brewing was initially farmed out to Coach House of Warrington, but the long-term plan was always to brew in Staffs. eventually, although the Joules website seems to suggest that they have upped sticks to Market Drayton instead. :icon_confused:

David

Market Drayton is Shropshire!!!. bloody hethans!!.

Talking of micro breweries in Staffordshire there is also Titanic from Burslem (Boslem if you're local)

• 2 weeks later...

That's one of the ones from Ottery St Mary isn't it?

I'd completely forgotten about it. Lovely beers from there.

Indeed, superb beers! Recommended to anyone who's not tried them, and to people that have, surely they don't need tempting to have another! ;)

Perhaps you'd better bring a crate to NGS, Sparshalt, in April; not to drink at the show, of course, but there's two of us who'd be interested in trying the ale! (One is ex CAMRA!)

For me, whiskey has to be Bush Mills Single Malt; very smooth and none of the aftershock of scotch.

Beer-wise, even though it's been clobbered by Fullers in Chiswick, 'Gales' HSB is still a pretty good contender.

Cider has to be Westons Organic - dry, in a box and reasonably priced!

• RMweb Premium

Even before Fullers' takeover of Gales, HSB had changed more than once. When I first encountered it in about 1975 at the Bay Tree in Southampton (now flats) it was 5.2% abv and had a faint taste of strawberries. First that flavour went, then the strength.

Pete

Why does everything have to be high strength, like +5%, it does not make for a long session, unless you want/need to be blathered out of your minds.......

When I first started, mild was available most places, in the country side, only mild and cider, bitter were for them townies......

Last year I had the Hesket Newmarket 'Red Screes' and 'Kirkstone Porter' up at the Kirkstone pass, plenty of flavour, and both below 4%. In fact the porter were proper heavy on the stomach.

We do have Courage Mild down in west Cornwall, at about 3.2%, and a pleasent eveing can be had. The bitters below 4% are not very good for taste though.

Ciders, why are they nearly all +6.5%, bar of course Magners at around 4.5%.

OK, agreed so many pubs seem to be populated after 9.30 - 10pm in the countryside, but that's not a starter for a session, about 7.30's more like it, with a midnight chippie to round off the evening.

Penlan, just about to make his first port of call with the dog - Doombar at the Swordfish in Newlyn.....tongue.gif

Penlan

After getting bored of the choice of bottled beer in my local supermarkets and offys, nothing wrong with it, just never changing, I took the plunge and ordered from these people. Fantastic range from around the world. Their prices are competitive with what you would expect to pay in the High Street, but the range is huge. Delivery is £7.95 (next day if ordered before noon) and there is a discount if you buy a box of one type (6/12/24 depending on the beer) Prices that I noticed, ranged from £1.29 to £16.49 per bottle. No connection except as a very satisfied customer.

I did get one from my local Co-op the other day, Strong Brown Ale, brewed for them by Thwaites. Excellent stuff.

Got my hands on a bottle of Brewdog's Bashah, a dark double IPA. Quite hard to characterise the taste, but it was very enjoyable.

Very tempted to get a bottle of the cheekily named Sink The Bismarck, a 41% beer so named because of an on going competition with a german brewery.

This is what I am drinking tonight.

sdc10041d.jpg

Berliner Kindl Weisse. Flavoured with woodruff to give it this distinct green colour. This is no gimmick, but a traditional flavouring. it is also available with another traditional flavouring, raspberry.

Berliner Kindl Weisse. Flavoured with woodruff to give it this distinct green colour. This is no gimmick, but a traditional flavouring. it is also available with another traditional flavouring, raspberry.

Sir, I am pleased to inform you, your leprechaun is pregnant :blink:

sdc10041d.jpg

Weisse, white, when green...mein Deutsch ist rostig........

Stephen

The bitters below 4% are not very good for taste though.

Brakspear's standard bitter is only 3.4% yet very tasty. Chain pubs aren't everyone's cup of tea but the Mitre (a Beefeater house) in Oxford city centre - next to the indoor market - serves a very good pint of it.

David

• RMweb Premium

Currently not drinking at all, due to level of medication for shoulder problem, but when I do:

Out of the house, I still like the offerings of Lancaster Brewery - Blonde is totally awesome, (it's a pale bitter brewed using a combination of standard bitter malts plus some pale malt and a Saaz lager hop - think of how Boddingtons once tasted and you're getting close) Amber, Red, and Black are not much worse. The brewery now has four "tied" (actually free but owned by the same management consortium) pubs at Lancaster, Morecambe, Barrow in Furness, and Ulverston.

At home, I've got some lovely single malts, and my current flavour of the month is a 20 year old, single cask, non chill filtered Caol Isla at cask strength which in this case is 57.6%. (I got it in a gift shop at a Scottish stately home, mispriced at £34.99!) Not too peaty like some of the Islay malts. I decided that the best way to learn malts was to start at the strongest flavour (Talikser, Laphroag, Lagavulin) and to move backwards as if I could appreciate the less subtle, I would probably be able to cope with the more delicate Speysides and Lowlands, and so it proved.

Cheers

Stewart

Archived