RMweb

Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Premium

Oh, you mean Jones the spy!

Regarding clogs, I have just been reading a rather eccentric book called "Portrait of the Wye Valley" by H L V Fletcher, originally published in 1968 an d not borrowed from our local library since 2009 - and that was the first time since 1995.

In it there is a reference to clog making in Radnorshire in the author's lifetime, using alder wood. The author says "a few clogs are still worn here and there and for a while during the war there was quite a revival in them - not for millgirls nor colliers, but as fashionable footwear".

I am not quite sure where this leaves us regardiing the wearing of clogs by the residents of Traeth Mawr but it does show that clogs were being worn in Wales into the 20th century though apparently by millgirls and colliers.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you to everyone who has commented.  I have actually been away for a few days, but no longer than last time when no one noticed.  I am always surprised about what works and gets talked about and what does not.  I will reply to the comments that need a reply, but I will be out today, home tomorrow, busy Sunday and then at work for three days without my computer this time.

I have no problems with the diversions, they often bring interesting conversations and information.

Thank you again.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 2

Just back from a very hot holiday in Crete. I noted an aged picture in a restaurant of a bearded bloke carving clogs, on what appeared to be a saw horse. Can't say whether it was genuine or "tourist fodder", but the process did not appear to be as that described above. (Edit grammar!)

Sorry, this is barely relevant...

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I for one appreciate Chris's attitude. A lot of what we have been discussing is social history, I feel Chris is trying to set his layout within social history. This is finescale modelling not in terms of fractions of a millimetre in the track gauge but in the social context. 

Don

Morning all,

As a regular 'lurker' and one who was raised as a youngster in railway company accommodation adjoining the old G&SWR shed at Hurlford 67B, I have no real interest in the region being so well researched by Chris. That said, I am fascinated by the many and varied discussions that have appeared on here and I agree with Don in appreciating the stewardship of the thread demonstrated by Chris. Whatever sort of layout you are keen on, the ability to create a relevant atmosphere is possibly more crucial than the width of the track you settle on!

Looking forward to the next tack,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I for one appreciate Chris's attitude. A lot of what we have been discussing is social history, I feel Chris is trying to set his layout within social history. This is finescale modelling not in terms of fractions of a millimetre in the track gauge but in the social context. 

Don

Don,

Thank you. Umm, Er, Umm.  I only hope that the quality of modelling is equivalent to the amount of input there has been to this thread.  Even if it is not, I certainly have enjoyed it so far, and I think those that are following also have, which I think is what it is all about.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

that would be a painting challenge in gauge 3, let alone something smaller!

I think that 'Purple Primer' would be able to do it in his stride.  I think Tamyia or Valjero do stripy and spotted paint, I will just have to get the right colour!

• Like 2

Yes, this is because, as everyone knows, it was the Welsh who invented television in 1895, hence the immediate need for a Test Card, for which these lovely ladies are clearly posing.

It is of great interest because, apart from the 'folkloreish' elements, it does show that some really bold patterns were in favour at the time, and, moreover, in some pretty alarming combinations!

Combinations, of course, are a different subject altogether.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall I promised to post a photo of my herring bone Computer Chad paving...

I've now found the piece I did, some 30+ years ago for a friends layout - Devynock (Sennybridge).

This paving was due to go under the station awning, but the layouts owner (The Icon) changed his mind.

Everything seems to have dulled a bit and the colours merged, for all the effort there's really nothing to show.

However, I have applied some talc at one end to show the gaps (?), and in view of this topic, obviously a relevant coin for scale.

attachicon.gifChad Paving #1 - Small.jpg

attachicon.gifChad Paving Detail.jpg

I'm not sure how they were glued on as the backing piece is 40 thou Plastikard.

I think I can see the tiny pin holes where I stabbed the individual Chads to pick up and put in place, I think.

Of course I had a full time job then and editing a Society magazine too, plus a young family etc., so I had time to do things like this, now I'm retired, there's no chance of getting on with a job like it, even if I had the Chads. :O

A collection I've not heard of before >> http://www.albertkahn.co.uk/europe.html

But date of photo is circa 1900, I believe.  

Location, not known, though I expect if one really wanted to plod through their records,

Neg. No. A.2356 would tell us something.

attachicon.gifKhan photo #2.jpg

attachicon.gifKhan photo #2A.jpg

Penlan,

That photo is amazing.  I will have to see what I make my paths out of.

The web site will take some exploring, it will keep me quiet for a bit!

• Like 1

Beg pardon, as I have joined in part way through, I have missed any previous mention of this resource, but, if not, The People's Collection Wales seems a great resource.  He are some random samples of Welsh life in the 1890s:

post-25673-0-50731200-1438433881.jpg

post-25673-0-13342000-1438433902.jpg

post-25673-0-02377400-1438433920.jpg

post-25673-0-89685300-1438433933.jpg

post-25673-0-03791900-1438433944.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Chris in 1904 there were through coaches to Barmouth and Pwllheli via both Dolgelley and Welshpool, Liverpool lime st to BArmouth via Whitchurch, London Euston to Barmouth, Criccieth, Portmadoc and Pwllheli via Welshpool, also Pwllheli and Portmadoc via Afon Wen, there were also some Manchester ones. So the train on the bridge could well include a GWR or LNWR coaches maybe both.

Don

Don,

Thank you, you are of course right.  I have just looked at the 1904 Through Coach list again and the first thing I noticed was GWR trains, I assume so as they were going to Snow Hill, going via Welshpool.  When I was looking at them before I assumed all Birmingham trains went further on.  I will look at the list again.

Mike Oxen has enhanced the image and all the coaches have a pale top half.  What I find interesting is that the front and rear brake vans are of different heights.  The clerestory is obviously a bogie coach and could be GWR which means I cannot get away with only six wheelers.  I shall have to peruse Russell's I think to find a suitable one.

I think that 'Purple Primer' would be able to do it in his stride.  I think Tamyia or Valjero do stripy and spotted paint, I will just have to get the right colour!

Hi Chris

I've seen his posts and photos - he's clearly extremely talented, and he might well take a challenge such as this in his stride, particularly with the help of the paints you mention, but the tablecloth will be a killer...

:)

• Like 1

Beg pardon, as I have joined in part way through, I have missed any previous mention of this resource, but, if not, The People's Collection Wales seems a great resource.  He are some random samples of Welsh life in the 1890s:

Hi All,

"quote" doesn't seem to be working very well for me today but the second photo down in this post is a cracker!

I've had a little look around but can't find an answer, is this typical of Welshmen to wear this type of beard at this date? They look very "Quaker" to me! ISTR that a close friend of George Stephenson was a Quaker and back then, they did seem to be very involved in business but in an earlier period i.e. 1820's.

I find it a distinctive look, not passing any kind of judgement!

During my looking for the above, I did find this that may be of use:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/293508100691006117/

Clearly a colourised picture but hopefully one that gives a reasonable rendition of the original colours used.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Talking with my friend 'The Icon', about Gambo's (Welsh carts)*, we got onto Donkey carts, and he stated that they were mainly used around the coastal areas for deliveries, groceries, milk, etc.,  though I'm sure we could be inundated with inland views of donkeys pulling carts, soon.

ChrisN, I can see a BIG congestion on the roads at Traeth Mawr, and not just due to the Parade, Military attending a local Camp etc., 

* We have an extensive exchange by snail mail and telephone re, pantechnicans at present - The Icon doesn't do 'The Internet', as I'm sure John Miles on this Forum will confirm.

Penlan,

That is very useful.  Was it only the local shops that used donkey carts, or did it extend to the railway as well?  I am not sure I have seen a picture with a donkey cart in although it is more than possible I have missed seeing it.  Would each shop have their own or would it be someone they hired, a late Victorian DHL? (Donkey Haulage Ltd.)  I will put it on my list to research.

• RMweb Gold

ChrisN, Period costume ?

Well it would make for a interesting cameo.. :nono:

attachicon.gifGirls on Bike.jpg

PS - I see in the papers there's mention of Newport (South Wales) having a legal area near Pill ...

.... for the use of Ladies that perhaps John Sewel is familiar with......

......So far removed from Barmouth and Chapel values.

Preiser in their unpainted set, now discontinued, have a number of people on the beach, also push bikes, but I am fairly sure such clothing was confined to being in the sea.

I shall have to peruse Russell's I think to find a suitable one.

Chris

Approach the works of Jim Russell with a degree of caution and always seek alternative confirmation of anything he claims.  With things he didn't know or wasn't sure about he had a habit of guessing rather than finding out.  He was particularly bad at that when it came to absorbed stock but I'm assured he wasn't much better with the GWR's own stuff.

... and a couple of Welsh (Cymric) ladies reading a Trespass Notice in Welsh & English.
(Not sure if that means the Notice is in Welsh & English,
or the 2 ladies are reading it in Welsh & English - Time to visit the pub me thinks).
It's from a paper or journal 'Black & White Budget' issue dated April 20th 1901.

Again on Ebay searched > Victorian Welsh, this is a part of a larger image.

post-6979-0-75756900-1438439794.jpg

... and please, no jokes about not touching it with a barge... :nono:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

He's not?! I feel very let down by the title then!

Chris, you're just going to have to rename it Ger y Traeth Mawr!

:jester:

Neil,

Traeth Mawr is the town, and the name of the railway station.  Beach Road, or Ffordd Traeth runs between the beach and the railway and is in front of the present layout.  I am not sure I wish to attach a 9ft by 2ft 6" board to the front just to have a little diorama with a beach hut, 3 girls and a bicycle.  ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can recommend 'The Photographer in Rural Wales' by W.T.R.Pryce, a photographic archive of Llanfair Caereinion and its region, c.1865-1986, published by The Powysland Club 1991. Although not of the Barmouth area it has several street views.

Thank you.  Something else for my Christmas list, if I have not got it before then.

Chris