Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kitpw said:

Grate stuff!  Proper modelling going on here.

Agreed, fascinating to see these details coming together. inspiring too.  well done Chris.

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2022 at 20:44, kitpw said:

Grate stuff!  Proper modelling going on here.

I have to disagree, as I had forgotten to make the grate.

I suppose I ought to show you the plan again.

Station Plan for web 2.xlsx

Using these plans I made the wall and doors to the kitchen.

1391525044_011doors.jpg.8976ec69f9929c6a46873d6fd6101eb1.jpg

It was then highly annoying to find that although the ranges fixed to the wall did just about fit the mantlepieces which were a foot wide were too big.  I had a word with Humphrey Davies the Traeth Mawr Architect, who assures me that he had planned out the insides as they should be built and that there should be no problem.  Umm, my advice is, if you need an extension, go to a different architect as the internal plan is all over the place.

So pressing on.

1239988839_012Nearlyfinished1.jpg.b796ed082300fe747fd19be7fb182e25.jpg

I have glued it to the wall and then used 20? x 10 strapping for the hinge brackets and the door closer bracket, 30? x 10 for the door catch,10 thou rod for the hinge and a bigger bit of rod from the assortment pack, probably 30 thou for the knobbly bit on the front.  This was filed down when the glue had dried.

49172923_013Nearlyfinished2.jpg.75ba30d54f040f7d3ca0731566b030e2.jpg

The other side, and you will notice that I have made the smoke hoods out of 10 thou plasticard, the middle section filed to shape.

228366509_014Inroughposition1.jpg.e915f44429eefa6cb65801ae46baeb60.jpg

This is it in roughly the right position.  A new 2mm x 20 thou mantlepiece and the supports are the original ones which were 20 x 20 rod, but cut down a bit and moved round.  I have a nice pair of tweezers for doing this.  The shelf at the top was level when I did it, I am not sure what the staff in the Refreshment Room have been doing to it.  It is brand new as well!

1385088056_015Inroughposition2.jpg.5e974252fa4eb15e5d051038148ffffa.jpg

The other side.  I have Shellacked all the walls, ready for painting.

1571142172_016Inroughposition3.jpg.f0ac1a1d27996bc6fcbd55d7aa39dd97.jpg

Finally one from the end.  A tight fit but the doors open into the kitchen.  This is not a problem as:-

1777900048_017Kitchencupboard.jpg.bfae031b548d50d3f77fde6cc5c75629.jpg

There is a cupboard on the other side.  Made of card.  It was quite difficult making them with working hinges and shelves inside........  No, it is a thin card box with thin card stuck on the front as doors.  🙂  It is 2ft deep, and probably the room may only be 5ft wide so the original plan for the sink to go in the middle is out of the window.  Well, actually it will probably be under the window.  More kitchen  furniture will be built when I know the actual size of the room.  What I have got is a lady to do the washing up.  She works for Pond and Spiers and her name is Ann Morris.  She is/was originally a Preiser figure looking out of a window.

So it appears to be done, but no.

1489178801_018Reallyfinished.jpg.5fa15a1640efd453a04872b3b8020208.jpg

There was a strap and a hinge missing off the grate door, and I have made the grate itself out of rectangular pieces of plasticard.  The last one I did I made out of a strip and bent it but this time it just broke.  You will notice two things, 1) the photo angle means that you cannot see the grate, and 2) the black paint means that you cannot see anything else.  This is with a camera lens about 2" away from it, in the refreshment room with the roof on.........  I only hope the Pond and Spiers staff appreciate all the trouble I have been to.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kitpw said:

I have, and it's page 200 - that's a lot of modelling. Well done! I'm sure that Pond & Spiers are grateful.

Not looking at all 200 pages?  Shame most of the photos are gone, and it is too long to put them back in.

Yes it has taken a while, and I am still not very far on.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Facinating to watch the staton develop Chris, not an empty shell but a real place with interior rooms that have actual purposes and furnishings. It almost feels like witnessing the construction of a real building.

That said, if I were Mr Price I'd be a bit worried about recent developments.  First all the photos to prove his existence disappeared, and now he is stuck with a builder who blames first the architect and then the staff for construction irregularities!  😛

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mikkel said:

Fascinating to watch the station develop Chris, not an empty shell but a real place with interior rooms that have actual purposes and furnishings. It almost feels like witnessing the construction of a real building.

That said, if I were Mr Price I'd be a bit worried about recent developments.  First all the photos to prove his existence disappeared, and now he is stuck with a builder who blames first the architect and then the staff for construction irregularities!  😛

Mikkel,

Thank you.  I am trying not to get too carried away with interior detail but I am trying to make what are 'fitted units', cupboards, fireplaces, worksurfaces.  Eventually, who knows when, there will be tables and chairs in the refreshment rooms, and the offices will have their desks and things in them.  I am sorely tempted to buy Preiser tables and chairs for that, the disadvantage is expense, the advantage is time, and there will be more people Pond and Spiers can fit in and therefore make more money, even given that the doors cannot open.

I still have to deal with Mr Price's son, even though he is safely locked away in the display cabinet.

You have obviously never met British builders......       🙂

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, ChrisN said:

2) the black paint means that you cannot see anything else.

Would medium or dark grey be better in this situation? Something dark enough to be black once the kitchen is closed in, but light enough to show all the detailed work you've put into it.

Either that, or a small LED inside the firebox, to give the dull red glow of burning coal.

Congratulations on making 200. And you don't look a day over 125!😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I see your modelling not so much as high speed down a motorway more as a gentle trip down the byways stopping to take in all the interesting bits and putting more of yourself into the models than simply buying prosier items ever could.

tou may not have got as far but how much more have you gained from each step.

Don 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dana Ashdown said:

Would medium or dark grey be better in this situation? Something dark enough to be black once the kitchen is closed in, but light enough to show all the detailed work you've put into it.

Either that, or a small LED inside the firebox, to give the dull red glow of burning coal.

Congratulations on making 200. And you don't look a day over 125!😉

Dana,

Thank you.  I had not thought of a lighter colour, I will give it a try next time, every house in Station Road will need a range.

i am not really into lights in buildings.  There is room to get one in, but the trouble would be getting power to it, and if it failed that would be it.  

And I do not feel a day over 150!

Actually, there has been some good stuff, mainly from contributions from all those who follow this thread either with advice or in the numerous historical discussions.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Donw said:

I see your modelling not so much as high speed down a motorway more as a gentle trip down the byways stopping to take in all the interesting bits and putting more of yourself into the models than simply buying prosier items ever could.

tou may not have got as far but how much more have you gained from each step.

Don 

Don,

Thank you, that is very kind.  I have enjoyed the trip and have learnt a lot on the way.  (Probably forgotten some of the things I learnt as well.)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent modeling once again Chris. I wired up some flickering fake tealight LEDS for all the fireplaces in my waiting rooms. Had you thought of wiring to the exact spot on the platform by drilling down, running power underneath and plonking the station on afterwards?

I'm also very impressed with how you fitted those secret European hinges to the cabinetry. For most cabinet makers there not easy to get right in full scale, well, from what I've seen at least.   

I also quite like that Tuscan look on the walls, very effective!

Regards Shaun 

Edited by Sasquatch
Shakespearean English. (Thou shall not boast of Ten score!)
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Excellent modelling once again Chris. I wired up some flickering fake tealight LEDS for all the fireplaces in my waiting rooms. Had you thought of wiring to the exact spot on the platform by drilling down, running power underneath and plonking the station on afterwards?

I'm also very impressed with how you fitted those secret European hinges to the cabinetry. In full scale there not easy to get right for most cabinet makers, well, from what I've seen at least.   

I also quite like that Tuscan look on the walls, very effective!

Regards Shaun 

Shaun,

Thank you.  I think going for LEDs will only delay the finish of the station.  This is supposed to be a quick build and I have been going for just over a year!  However, the roof will be removeable, and the building removeable so it could be retro fitted in the distant future when everything else is finishing off.  If I do though, that is two for the ranges, but what about the fireplaces?  Then I will have an inn, 8-10 houses, all with a range and several fireplaces, and it is March so cold in the morning and evening.  (No, I am not going to look up the temperature now, although I could do.)  Maybe I will quit while I am ahead.

You have made me realise that I have not done hinges!  I was thinking of my cupboards with the hidden hinges.  No door handles!  I deliberately have not done them on the room doors but forgot to deliberately not do them on the cupboards.  I suppose I could retro fit them, but what to use?  The doors are cardboard not plastic and I would like to use some similar material.  Then when I do someone will look at them and say, 'Is that kitchen built in 1867?  Those cupboard handles were not used until 1921."  (I am not meaning present company.)

I am afraid the Tuscan look is the shellac, and is gradually disappearing under the corporate colour scheme of white and green, except for the toilet.  I am not modelling the toilet so I though a dingy brown would suit.  (I do not think the big toilet at the end of the platforms in Brighton was dingy brown, but it certainly smelled like.  All gone now, and cannot remember if they have replaced it.)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I have decided that on my list of models, opposite the two categories of 'Pending' and 'Current' I will have not just 'Finished' but a new category of 'Done'.  'Done' is not finished, but means that unless something comes along they will not be worked on and will go on the layout.  I have got the coaches that I have been working on to that stage.  I have added couplings and so can go into revenue earing service.  They still need transfers, so when I get round to buying them, understanding what I need, or generally can be bothered.  I think I may still need a vacuum and a steam pipe somewhere.

@Mikkel asked, 'Would there be a inaugural train?'  I could hardly say 'No', could I?  I contacted Owen Price and asked him to get the train ready, and get the loco that I had modified.  He told me it was all ready.

1073032081_001Engine.jpg.5d67479dfc680d26e6abd15043ee7319.jpg

OP: There you are.

Me: Owen!  Not that one, the saddle tank!

OP:  Oh alright, it is in the other platform.

562852214_002Engine2.jpg.ea910e846708af92f7f8f356707aaa94.jpg

OP:  There you are, it just needs to run round.

Me: Owen.....

OP:  Mister Price to you.

Me: Owen!  It is very dusty.  I thought you were in charge of everything and would keep it all clean.

OP: mutter, mutter, mutter...........

954577972_003Train.jpg.7516c56ef8a4cf40d2646067ac9d5b2e.jpg

The train it brought in is worth looking at as it has my scratchbuilt, brake third and third, and a modified 4 wheel first.  The van is bringing Kent nectar to Wales.

1152375411_004NewTrain.jpg.9213951de2e58def5084a4c728025cef.jpg

So it runs round and backs up to the train in the bay.  I am waiting to get some blackening fluid to sort out the dome, the handrail and the buffers.  I do not think they will send that stuff in the post.

877680842_005Wagonandsaloon.jpg.775033bb86004a0632aafcf4852143ae.jpg

In front is the carriage wagon.  I need some chains for the carriage but I am not going to buy chains on line as I will probably get the wrong size.  I will try and go to a shop or exhibition where I can see the size I need, and still probably buy the wrong size.  Next is @5&9Models's LBSCR saloon, still needing Sir John, his wife, children and staff.

24931060_006ThirdandTricomposite.jpg.8d3342cc558beb15c0c5801e8fcddad5.jpg

The next one might be a surprise.  I think it was @TurboSnail unless it was @Schooner alerted viewers to their thread that Jadlam were selling off Hornby six wheelers for twenty quid.  There had been some discussion about which of Hattons Genesis might do for the Cambrian and the consensus was that the five compartment third was the only one that might work.  Hattons only have one coach with oil tops and they are the GWR ones.  There is no way I would even consider covering up the intricate livery so an oil top in teak was a better option, especially at a third off.  I have to say I am not impressed.  It does not have compartments, just seats.  I will need to repaint the seats and put compartments in, but it at least is pretending to be a coach of the right era.

Behind is the MSLR Tri-composite.  I might even have enough coaches to make a period train, or maybe not.

1115330779_007StroudleyThird.jpg.f3b24719e6dae7298e3bd96f7c3feaed.jpg

Finally the Stroudley Brake Third.  I have set aside the two servants who will ride in it, but they are in the queue for painting.

That is that, but I have been working on the Siphon.

217993380_008Siphon.jpg.6b47d1c6be3b591a7453b71f19e9249e.jpg

Sorry, the sun was behind it, and the pictures where it was not, you could not see any detail.  I have added W irons from MJT and the springs from those supplied with the kit.  It will get the treatment from the blackening fluid, or I may just prime it.  You can just see the milk churns.  I usually have a removeable roof, but I am not sure it will be that easy with this waggon.  I could glue down the thin paper roof they put in the kit, but if the churns come adrift again it would be awkward.

So that is the new rolling stock, and.............

What is all this?

886173729_009Cleaners.jpg.2c2872e847ed9ca84c1544648d436e00.jpg

Me:  Owen?

OP:  I got these servants to start cleaning up after you.

Me: I will ignore that comment.  Where did they come from.

OP:  They are all employed in Station Road, and as you have not built it yet they have nothing better to do.

Me:  If you want to know Owen, I am well on the way to finishing the station building.  I predict it will all be over by Christmas.

OP:I have heard that before.

Me: No you have not, it will be another 19 years until they say that.  Now, I will not do the awning, or the Goods Shed but I will do as much of the platform as possible.  Then, my young man, I will do your house, or rather your dad's house, as then I can use that to mark out the road, and the station entrance, goods area etc.  Then either the Railway Inn, or start on the houses on the other side of the road.

OP:  What about the Down Shelter, and my dad?

*Whistle*

If you have been, thatnks for looking

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 6

10 hours ago, ChrisN said:

So it runs round and backs up to the train in the bay.  I am waiting to get some blackening fluid to sort out the dome, the handrail and the buffers.  I do not think they will send that stuff in the post.

Eileens Emporium send things like that, flux etc via courier. Obviously it's not cheap though.

Good to see movement on the line. The station frontage is looking good in the second photo.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Charlie586 said:

Eileens Emporium send things like that, flux etc via courier. Obviously it's not cheap though.

Good to see movement on the line. The station frontage is looking good in the second photo.

Charlie,

Thank you.  The station is getting there, all be it, ever so slowly.

The postage for these things is not cheap, in fact it is almost the price of an entry to an exhibition, so I will wait.  Unfortunately, I was away the weekend of the one I usually go to.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see your progress and all your own work!  It must be so satisfying.

I also agree with not putting items on the layout until they're finished, or at least as much as they can be.

Well done

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hurrah, that's a major milestone, must be pleasing for you Chris (despite the grumpy staff!). A most interesting line-up of coaches, and good to see the saddle tank in action. 

Every photo has something unusual in it, and all the work beginning to pay off. Ketchup effect! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2022 at 16:00, Mikkel said:

Hurrah, that's a major milestone, must be pleasing for you Chris (despite the grumpy staff!). A most interesting line-up of coaches, and good to see the saddle tank in action. 

Every photo has something unusual in it, and all the work beginning to pay off. Ketchup effect! 

Mikkel,

Thank you. Strangely it does not seem like a milestone, maybe because I know what still needs to be done, or because it is a milestone down the coach road,  It is nice though to move them into the 'Done' pile.  I now have two whole trains that can said to be 'period', although a bit of a mixture.  I also have twp period locos, a Coal Tank and the Saddle tank.  The Saddle Tank is on the roster when the grandchildren come round although it is not as popular as the ones with faces.  🙂

Once I have done the building, and sorted part of the platform, then it will be Mr Price's residence, and that will give proportions to Station Road, even though it is already marked out.  When that is done then it will begin to take shape.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been working slowly on the partition walls and in the kitchen.  However, for various reasons I am also, at times when actual modelling is not possible, looking at the next project.  Once the station building is finished, I will put paving slabs on the platform.  There needs to be a Goods building at the end but I want to get on with Station Road so I may just do a mock up and come back later.  The first building which will mark out the edge of the station forecourt and the station side of the road is, and shhhh, do not say it too loudly, Mr Price's house.  The actual building is two houses, one for Mr Price, and one for John Roberts the Signalman.  The house is a copy of the one in Barmouth that in 1901 housed the Barmouth Station Master, his wife and eight children.  I have taken photos of it.

Front

DSCF5325.JPG.ec0a6ad991621f748f117969502c913f.JPG

Side

DSCF5323.JPG.4db34d8079e2312fdf621c799385e587.JPG

Rear

DSCF5321.JPG.9b869cf3b20b097b865809f1c182e444.JPG

I have put this one into Silhouette America software as that has a ruler in it and have made some measurements.  Unfortunately I am not exactly parallel, but have made what I think are good estimations, of window sizes, heights, etc.  I was going to put up screen shots of the workings but I have moved things around so they probably would only confuse.  I assumed that I was not parallel as the distance from one edge to the drain pipe is not the same as the distance from the drain pipe to the other edge, which is not, as the second distance is longer, and if anything it should be shorter as the window on the left is closer to it than the window on the right.

However, the distances I have, seem to work, (Right to less than an order of magnitude, half width is 24ft rather than 25ft), so I am happy.  York Modelling make windows of similar sizes.  Also, the older pictures, to be shared at another time, make it look symmetrical, so it will be. They also show chimneys.  I will share what photos I have, all from my favourite web site, later when I have actually made a drawing, yes, do not gasp, of the outside and the probable internal layout.  (Note of the side of the building a small window at either end, with a drain underneath it.  This does not appear on earlier photos, so is probably the later addition of a bathroom, can't be 'avin that!

Here is the earliest photo from 1873.  Must have been taken on a Monday as they have washing out on the line. 

I was going to say it is browner than the station, but the station looking again at it again is not as dark as I thought, but all the photos I have are taken in full sun which has affected the colour, so Traeth Mawr will stay dark grey.

Sorry, it has been a bit of a ramble, but this not not look too difficult a build.  It will still be mounting card covered in plasticard, but I need to think about the windows as the last ones worked but were a little wide, and deep.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Looks like an interesting project Chris. They had it good back then, Station Masters.

6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Unfortunately I am not exactly parallel

I know the feeling.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I think you are right about it being symmetrical.

I have sometimes used screen grabs off Google Street View for this kind of thing, though of course you don't see the back. But you can sometimes move the viewing position to get a straight-on view. This is how I did the half-timbered house on Sarn, so the back is a guess - though I have since realised that you can see it from the churchyard.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I think you are right about it being symmetrical.

I have sometimes used screen grabs off Google Street View for this kind of thing, though of course you don't see the back. But you can sometimes move the viewing position to get a straight-on view. This is how I did the half-timbered house on Sarn, so the back is a guess - though I have since realised that you can see it from the churchyard.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thank you.  The problem with this house is that it is that it is tucked in a corner and backs onto a car park so what you suggest is not possible in this case.  It will be as usual with me, a near representation, rather than an exact copy.

• Like 6