The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

E Rankine Gray and H Hunter Wild Video

bodmin16

Many thanks for posting this - a real nostalgia trip! I still have the book that ERG wrote about this layout (although I don't know where it is  :scratchhead:)

I believe that the layout was in his model shop in Bournemouth (modestly called "The Model Shop"!). The layout always impressed me because it was not like so many commercial layouts which tried to pack too much in. The scenery was restrained and the buildings (by the standards of the time) superb, being mostly based on Bilteezi kits.

But, oh those speeds - as Ivan said they were ridiculous. I suppose this was partially due to the difficulty of slow speed control with the technology of the time.

Ian

Wasnt that the Boscombe model railway? With all the buildings from Bilteezi kits.  Featured on the Bilteezi catalogue.

Yep.

No. 727 Christchurch Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth.

post-7009-0-22853400-1392031973_thumb.jpg

The LH door was, once, a dance school, while the RH door led to the stairs down to the basement, where the layout was situated. The ticket office was at the bottom of the stairs, you paid your Shilling (5p.), up, over a few steps (which the track ran under), turned the corner, and 'lo and behold' a miniature wonderland.

Many thanks for a great find, and posting, bodmin16

Childhood memories indeed.

Cheers.

Great stuff, pity it was gone by the time I moved to this part of the world in 1986, hey Frank wasn't it strange how Terry, and Erics model railway 'exhibition' in Haviland Road also had a dance studio above.

Hi Paul.

Alas, you missed the original Boscombe Model Railway.. I remember now, that block of buildings, pictured, were once called 'Melrose Chambers'.  Can't recall the name of the dance studios tho'.

One of the finest exhibitions of it's day. The layout featured BMRS OO Guage hand-built track (Code 75 B/H soldered to Copper clad sleepers) and was fully automatic when open to the public, (I can still hear those wall mounted relays / solenoids / switches ?, clicking and clacking, to this day) with correct signal / point operation of the trains. The odd express and locals stopping and starting at the main station. The locals also calling at that of the branch, plus halting at the junctions allowing an express to pass through.

All this before the advent of DCC......."Those were the days, my friend...

There are some period pictures in the Streets-of-Bournemouth website. I'll see if I can link them.

These's also this thread in the RMweb's archive. http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13419  featuring posts from none other than your esteemed self.

Re. -  The Haviland Road, Boscombe, exhibition.

post-7009-0-77909700-1392196060_thumb.jpg 

The dancing school is still there, but the exhibition closed some time back. I remember taking the kids there a few times. I also seem to remember there being two layouts, one a model of Corfe Castle, with the man behind the scene being, IIRC, one Robin Brasher, a member of this very parish. (I could be barking completely up the wrong tree, here tho')

Rambling on,....Then there was the exhibition in Orchard Street, in the town centre, behind BHS. Again, long gone. Also, the occasional appearance of Frank Hornby's layout exhibited at Seldown School in Poole.

All the best,

Frank.

• RMweb Gold

Rambling on,....Then there was the exhibition in Orchard Street, in the town centre, behind BHS.

Frank.

And before that it was sited in a building on Exeter Road, opposite the now long gone Hants & Dorset bus station.  Here's an image of part of the layout as I remember it in the early 1970s.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alwyn_ladell/5592523384/

Happy memories of both the Bournemouth and Boscombe model railways.

Hi Paul.

I also seem to remember there being two layouts, one a model of Corfe Castle, with the man behind the scene being, IIRC, one Robin Brasher, a member of this very parish. (I could be barking completely up the wrong tree, here tho')

All the best,

Frank.

Robin is a n-gauge modeller, the model of Corfe Castle at Haviland Road was by Terry (Jenkins)in OO, among other things he now is modelling Shillingstone in O-gauge, he is now involved with a model railway club now based in Furzebrook village hall, along with Robin, and others including Steve Fackrell - aka 'Dorset Wanderer' of this parish.

As horsetan sez, we are delving into 'soggy nostalgia' - great innit !?!?

Oh, thanks to '4630' for the pics of the old 'noddy train' at Hengistbury Head.

Robin is a n-gauge modeller, the model of Corfe Castle at Haviland Road was by Terry (Jenkins)in OO, among other things he now is modelling Shillingstone in O-gauge, he is now involved with a model railway club now based in Furzebrook village hall, along with Robin, and others including Steve Fackrell - aka 'Dorset Wanderer' of this parish.

As horsetan sez, we are delving into 'soggy nostalgia' - great innit !?!?

Oh, thanks to '4630' for the pics of the old 'noddy train' at Hengistbury Head.

Thanks for that clarification, Paul.

I even got the name of the building wrong. It should be 'Halebrose Chambers'.

Here's the Streets of Bournemouth link -  http://www.streets-of-bournemouth.org.uk/media_map_player.html#/?category=10&page=2&searchTerm=model%20railway&displayItem=1159

For larger views click on the image, then on View full item.

Cheers.

I remember holidaying in Bournemouth with my parents and brother and visiting the model railway. I recall going up and over the steps as mentioned.

I can also remember buying some loco drawings from there a day or so after visiting the model railway.

Happy memories!

Alan.

• RMweb Premium

I visited both the Bournemouth model railways during my schoolboy days in that area in the early 1970s.  I thought the Boscombe exhibit was absolutely marvelous; by then it was semi-automatic and I dont remember such speeds or intensive service as in the film.

And before that it was sited in a building on Exeter Road, opposite the now long gone Hants & Dorset bus station.  Here's an image of part of the layout as I remember it in the early 1970s.

http://www.flickr.co...ell/5592523384/

I'm sure I remember this one as being up a steep narrow sidestreet originally, but later moved to a location opposite the bus-station.

Nostalgia indeed.

Dave.

The Huntley Archive has an astonishing library of films, a lot ruined [in my view] by that wretched, immovable watermark they have placed bang in the middle. It makes some of their stuff completely unwatchable - a great shame. I suppose there is a reason for it though......

Tony

Hi Paul.

Alas, you missed the original Boscombe Model Railway.. I remember now, that block of buildings, pictured, were once called 'Melrose Chambers'.  Can't recall the name of the dance studios tho'.

One of the finest exhibitions of it's day. The layout featured BMRS OO Guage hand-built track (Code 75 B/H soldered to Copper clad sleepers) and was fully automatic when open to the public, (I can still hear those wall mounted relays / solenoids / switches ?, clicking and clacking, to this day) with correct signal / point operation of the trains. The odd express and locals stopping and starting at the main station. The locals also calling at that of the branch, plus halting at the junctions allowing an express to pass through.

All this before the advent of DCC......."Those were the days, my friend...

There are some period pictures in the Streets-of-Bournemouth website. I'll see if I can link them.

These's also this thread in the RMweb's archive. http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13419  featuring posts from none other than your esteemed self.

Re. -  The Haviland Road, Boscombe, exhibition.

attachicon.gifBoscombe Model Railway (2)..jpg

The dancing school is still there, but the exhibition closed some time back. I remember taking the kids there a few times. I also seem to remember there being two layouts, one a model of Corfe Castle, with the man behind the scene being, IIRC, one Robin Brasher, a member of this very parish. (I could be barking completely up the wrong tree, here tho')

Rambling on,....Then there was the exhibition in Orchard Street, in the town centre, behind BHS. Again, long gone. Also, the occasional appearance of Frank Hornby's layout exhibited at Seldown School in Poole.

All the best,

Frank.

The dancing studio  above Halebrose Chambers was the Domelow Murning- how do I know?

Terry Jenkins , Eric Ruberson, myself and others, one whose name I can't remember opened a shop- Branch Line in Charminster Road, and later at Queens Park was there.ERG Models was in Roumelia Lane Boscombe, roughly behind where Iceland is today. After E. Rankin greys demise, the railway was taken over by his brother and some time after a mysterious fire destroyed the layout. The original layout in the Square, an old church, now a nightclub was moved as has been said to premises on the first floor adjacent to the old BHS, now Primark.

Thanks for that Dorset Wanderer.

Mentioned in the 2007 archive topic is the emporium called 'Toyland', Unless I'm mistaken this was at street level, immediately next door at No.729, This was the place where I bought, after saving up months of paper round profits, my first Hornby-Dublo loco, a 3-rail (fer pete's sake !) Std. Cl.4, 2-6-4t.  A couple of years later they brought out the 2-rail version....Doh.

At the time, I had the feeling that 'Toyland' were, in some way, connected to ERG. 

A character I'll always remember was one I only knew as 'Jock' , the rather brusque but jocular (forgive the pun) Scotsman behind the counter at ERG'S Roumelia Lane premises. Among other scratch / kit  building aids, w/m castings, brass, 3-link couplings etc, Biltezee and Hamblings lithos, Jamieson, Eames kits and bits  and CCW wooden coach kits, he held the full range of Skinley drawings, which was quite handy  

His daughter was also employed there, always in the background, attending to the mail orders. 

After Jock's passing, ISTR, the business, stock and the famous ERG octagonal logo was sold to someone operating from either Kent or East Sussex. Their ad.appearing in the back pages of the RM for some time afterwards.

Apologies for the mushy memoirs HT

All the best.

Thanks for that Dorset Wanderer.

A character I'll always remember was one I only knew as 'Jock' , the rather brusque but jocular (forgive the pun) Scotsman behind the counter at ERG'S Roumelia Lane premises. Among other scratch / kit  building aids, w/m castings, brass, 3-link couplings etc, Biltezee and Hamblings lithos, Jamieson, Eames kits and bits  and CCW wooden coach kits, he held the full range of Skinley drawings, which was quite handy  

His daughter was also employed there, always in the background, attending to the mail orders. 

After Jock's passing, ISTR, the business, stock and the famous ERG octagonal logo was sold to someone operating from either Kent or East Sussex. Their ad.appearing in the back pages of the RM for some time afterwards.

Apologies for the mushy memoirs HT

All the best.

I lived in Southbourne away back then - and had the pleasure of knowing him too - I was a frequent customer for "bits" to make OO9/Hoe models - a wonderful "Aladins Cave" - the like of which we shall never see again! RIP! 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for putting that up Alan.

A trainset that I would have loved to have a play on!

The quality of the stock looks excellent for the time. I suspect Jamieson locos and cardboard ERG coaches. I've built a few of those. Great fun (still have one, but not as good as any of these!)

Archived