Model Rail International

Chameleon

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see they are producing Model Rail International again. Even better as it will be a stand along publication. Presumably it'll be quarterly. I for one will certainly be buying it as I love the european stuff, hope it's a success and it continues.

The cover can be sneak previewed here.

Chris ,

do you know if the magazine will focus on more "mainstream" subjects?

I tend to find that a lot of the articles in the current established "magazine for the overseas modeller" are very esoteric in their subject - I don't dispute that the models are fantastic , but it does seem to be overkill , especially on the narrow gauge side - there isn't really that much narrow gauge railway in Europe .

Likewise , I'm a big fan of the Rhaetische Bahn in Switzerland , but there are only so many layouts of it that one can take in.

I've enjoyed the previous MRI supplements , hopefully the fully fledged magazine will be a success too.

• 2 weeks later...

Model Rail International ON SALE THURSDAY 25 FEBRUARY

contents:

Yes, it is mainstream and mostly standard gauge.

Nurnberg News - new products 2010 from the big trade fair.

Model Rail meets Noch - interview

Scenery and accessories news and new products.

Zofeld HO German layout.

Model Rail meets Gaugemaster

Why model European railways?

Zement Hafen layout - new look for an old friend

Where to go in 2010

Masterplan Blausee-Mitholz- Peter Marriott Swiss station feature

Miniatur Wunderland - German layout

Allenenac - Layout - O gauge Era 1 exhibition layout

George builds a Belgian 'Lampisterie'

George upgrades a Lima DB 103

Speed and style - the Class 103s

How to model Austrian Railways

From the Arctic Circle to Asia - rail trip report

Building Heartbreal Pass - Allan Downes goes 0n16.5

China - last great steam show

Wolsztyn

Q&A

The content is nearly all European. It was felt that the market needed English-language coverage of European subjects and that there were already enough English language North American magazines.

CHRIS LEIGH

Perhaps there could be space for some North American Narrow Gauge including 0n30 as this does not seem to be particularly well covered in magazines available in the UK apart from "Narrow Lines," The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association Magazine.

Perhaps there could be space for some North American Narrow Gauge including 0n30 as this does not seem to be particularly well covered in magazines available in the UK apart from "Narrow Lines," The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association Magazine.

Do you not get the "Continental Modeller" then????

The number of times i've come close to packing it in because it's so full of narrow gauge stuff, admittedly not all N.A. ISTM that everywhere you look, magazines, exhibitions etc - there's 0n30 lurking in one corner or another!

Sorry but i'm a bit over exposed to it, i'm afraid!

Cheers,

John E.

Edit: Sorry to sound a bit 'nasty' but i'm REALLY looking forward to a Euro focused standard gauge magazine!

2nd Edit: Not meant to sound 'nasty' to you 'Unknown Warrior', only against C.M. itself - i would pack it in but i have amost a complete collection!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Although I get my copy of Model Rail by subscription I know that one of the local newsagents sells them so I went along this morning and purchased a copy. Very much the Model Rail "house style" so if you like that and like European railways I'm sure you'll be happy. There are a few pages about Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol releases in the UK and articles about China and even an ON30 North American article for 6026 (John E).

There is extensive coverage of Nuremberg's Toy Fair. Continental Modeller usually take up much of a couple of issues covering this in rather a dull way. I thought MRI covered it without making me lose the will to breathe.

I've only recently started modelling a Austrian themed layout (narrow gauge, sorry!) so I can't speak for more experienced modellers but I rather liked the magazine. If it were monthly I'd certainly buy it in preference to CM. I'll probably buy both in the meantime.

Tony

The number of times i've come close to packing it in because it's so full of narrow gauge stuff, admittedly not all N.A. ISTM that everywhere you look, magazines, exhibitions etc - there's 0n30 lurking in one corner or another!

Cheers,

John E.

Edit: Sorry to sound a bit 'nasty' but i'm REALLY looking forward to a Euro focused standard gauge magazine!

2nd Edit: Not meant to sound 'nasty' to you 'Unknown Warrior', only against C.M. itself - i would pack it in but i have amost a complete collection!!!!

No worries John!

No I don't get Continental Modeller and have only just "discovered" US logging lines so am trying to get my head round how they opperated as I am at present building a micro layout in 0n30. The problem is that my railway knowledge is largely limited to the UK so I am looking for background information.

Best wishes,

John

No worries John!

No I don't get Continental Modeller and have only just "discovered" US logging lines so am trying to get my head round how they opperated as I am at present building a micro layout in 0n30. The problem is that my railway knowledge is largely limited to the UK so I am looking for background information.

Best wishes,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for that, i'm relieved you didn't take it personally as it was certainly NOT aimed at you as an individual!!!!

It's not that i'm anti-0n30 in particular or narrow gauge in general, it's that in CM, ANYTHING goes as long as it's not standard gauge, it seems sometimes!!!!!!

On the subject of 0n30, you may find this site of interest;

http://www.carendt.com/index.html - THE resource for micro layouts!!

Tony_S,

Again, i'm not attacking narrow gauge modellers - a good model is a good model in any gauge/scale combination, enjoy your Austrian ng - ignore anyone who says "oh, why model THAT!!" and have fun. BTW, i've a little bit of Austrian ng, myself!

All,

I suppose that the crux of the problem is there are not enough standard gauge articles being written? For myself, i don't really know where to begin!

Back on topic, first impressions of MRI are very favourable indeed and i will be looking out for any future issues!

Cheers,

John E.

Cheers,

John E.

The perception of a magazine is it is usually full of subjects that are at the absolute nadir of someone's individual interest. This theory was started sometime in the 1970's when due to a copying error, the same "Ashburton" layout featured in sucessive issues for approximately two years (later on, a small factory was set up in Devon in order to supply the exhibition circuit with identical clones). Later on, US switching layouts took over CM to the point where there was a backlog, and despite such a genre proving itself to be popular with modellers, magazines seemed reluctant to feature them excessively.

I think there is a market for a US only magazine featuring UK based layouts, as CM doesn't have enough content for my liking and the gap hasn't been adequately filled with society publications. The NMRA's Roundhouse could be an excellent mag and i'm sure membership would grow if only they filled this void and produced something along the lines of 16mm Today. I'd personally like to see more US traction & Interurbans in magazines, but until there is widespread interest it'll remain a minority focus.

• RMweb Gold

I had a quick browse of this but the copy was badly creased so I'm going to find a good one before parting with the cash. As a RhB modeller with US tendencies that's mainly why I buy CM but I agree the toy fair reports are a bit hard going so I'm certainly going to try MRI for a bit.

The problem is that my railway knowledge is largely limited to the UK so I am looking for background information.

John I tried a pm but it failed so, have a look on the Steam Powered Video (SPV) website and maybe try a couple of issues of the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette for US NG inspiration or a copy of the On30 Annual which is specifically aimed at the US On30 modeller. The DVD's by Paul Scoles on his smaller scale Sn3 Pelican Bay RR are also brilliant inspiration on scenic modelling.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Thanks for that, i'm relieved you didn't take it personally as it was certainly NOT aimed at you as an individual!!!!

It's not that i'm anti-0n30 in particular or narrow gauge in general, it's that in CM, ANYTHING goes as long as it's not standard gauge, it seems sometimes!!!!!!

On the subject of 0n30, you may find this site of interest;

http://www.carendt.com/index.html - THE resource for micro layouts!!

Tony_S,

Again, i'm not attacking narrow gauge modellers - a good model is a good model in any gauge/scale combination, enjoy your Austrian ng - ignore anyone who says "oh, why model THAT!!" and have fun. BTW, i've a little bit of Austrian ng, myself!

All,

I suppose that the crux of the problem is there are not enough standard gauge articles being written? For myself, i don't really know where to begin!

Back on topic, first impressions of MRI are very favourable indeed and i will be looking out for any future issues!

Cheers,

John E.

Don't worry I didn't feel in the least bit attacked! I really can see me doing some standard gauge European modelling one day. As well as the ON30 US stuff I have rather a lot of US HO. I agree with your point about a good model is etc. I originally got a subscription to Model Rail as it did include an International section occasionally. I still kept the subscription going as I enjoyed the modelling articles.

Best wishes

Tony

Hi there,

I have been unable to find a copy of Model Rail International? My local, well stocked newsagent doesn't have any copies on display and neither does my local WH Smith. Does anyone know if the release date of 25th February is correct, or if there are problems with distribution?

Many thanks,

Paul (aka Intercity 125)

Rushden, Northamptonshire

• RMweb Premium

Its a pity regular supporters of Model Rail havent had there copy in time for release date, I subscribe to Model Rail and ordered a copy of MRI by credit card but no sign of it yet :(

Steve

another day and still no sign of it (01/03/2010)

Thanks to Chris Leigh and others on here replying to my post re: non-availability of Model Rail International. My friendly local newsagent immediately rang the distributor and ordered two copies from them which should arrive tomorrow.

Regards,

Paul (aka Intercity125)

I'm curious to this article:

What is briefly the contents of this article? Is it about stations, rolling stock, landscape...?

Regards,

Werner

• RMweb Gold

I'm curious to this article:

What is briefly the contents of this article? Is it about stations, rolling stock, landscape...?

Regards,

Werner

It is an introduction to the modern Austrian rail system, the type of trains that run and why it is an interesting subject to model ie variations of scenery, international train workings. Sources of further information are provided for prototype and model.

Tony

• 9 months later...

Archived