Millpond Central - a BR/SR Steam era layout

Ian Abel

More shed photos;

34003 Plymouth now WITH accesories added

post-20244-0-79424500-1414600821_thumb.jpg

34053 Sir Keith Park finally in running condition

post-20244-0-35551200-1414600908_thumb.jpg

Originally I wasn't sure about the thought of getting weathered locos, especially since "some" I've seen have rather too much for my taste.

However, having now compared 34003 against the other BB/MN/WC locos, all of which are pristine, I must confess I do rather like the light weathering provided on 34003.

Makes the loco look somewhat more characteristic that a completely clean version. I still consider "heavy weathering" too much, at least for me.

More shed photos;

34003 Plymouth now WITH accesories added

attachicon.gif34003 on shed -2.jpg

34053 Sir Keith Park finally in running condition

attachicon.gif34053-2.jpg

Originally I wasn't sure about the thought of getting weathered locos, especially since "some" I've seen have rather too much for my taste.

However, having now compared 34003 against the other BB/MN/WC locos, all of which are pristine, I must confess I do rather like the light weathering provided on 34003.

Makes the loco look somewhat more characteristic that a completely clean version. I still consider "heavy weathering" too much, at least for me.

Hi Ian, I think this is the first time I've seen your thread so I'm off back to have a read through, love the pic of Plymouth of course as we have discussed before in the Lunester ;Lounge I believe.

Cheers for some nice pics.

Hi Ian, I think this is the first time I've seen your thread so I'm off back to have a read through, love the pic of Plymouth of course as we have discussed before in the Lunester ;Lounge I believe.

Cheers for some nice pics.

Thanks Andy - the layout (and therfore thread) are a bit slow going as I never seem to get enough time to model, even with the BEST of intentions.

Slowly trying to gear up again as it's autumn and approaching winter.

Other than being a large roundy-round with a substantial main-line terminal station it's a bit "flat" so I'm not sure if I can make it as enticing as all the other great examples I've seen. I always wanted a 4-track mainline, as I grew up with one on my doorstep, and that has essentially taken more space than allows for too much clever scenic variation in the space <sigh>. I'm not going to let that stop me though :)

Thanks for stopping by.

• 4 months later...

Woefully slow posting on my thread, then again seems I've been given little time to work on the layout since November, except occasional brief sessions.

Adding THIS video of the first DCC sound loco I've acquired - lovely Bachmann 32-503 BR 5MT

You'll also notice in the background on this section there's a back scene, temporarily in place whilst I decide if I like it - so far I do :)

http://youtu.be/u6kU3Xg3kHI

Thanks dt - going to get the backscene installed rather "better" than just pinned over the next couple of days and will post some more. It's one of those "ID" backscenes and I must say I do like it. Once I get some additional retaining walls and other "clutter" made it will fit in quite nicely I think :)

Quick update - added a first for Millpond, a Bachmann Warship in BR green.

Since they were used on the BR/SR lines and I wanted one example of this type of motive power, here it is...

Bachmann 32-055 D800 Warship "Sir Brian Robertson" - all front end dangly bits added :)

post-20244-0-68992700-1426103927_thumb.jpg

Kadee coupler attached to the other end and now awaiting a decoder - so shown NOT on layout as yet.

• 1 month later...

Layout overall very slow going - building an almost 8ft. retaining wall from the Scalescenes range. Going very well and looks nice, but so many parts to make with the length I'm needing, it means that whilst I am getting "something done" there's not a lot to show for it right now <sigh>

Continue to accumulate stock as available when I spot bargains, and additional locos as needed, and given the acquisition of the Bachmann 73030 5MT with sound, decided to take the original 73030 and renumber/rename it to one of the "named" 5MT locos.

Hence we now have Bachmann renumbered 73080 Merlin as a companion to my DJH 73081 Excalibur. In lieu of any other photos worth showing here is a sequence taking during the renumbering/renaming process. Used the excellent Modelmaster etched number/nameplate set for the job;

Original 73030

post-20244-0-86356700-1430154842_thumb.jpg

Smokebox renumbered

post-20244-0-13598900-1430154847_thumb.jpg

Nameplate added

post-20244-0-49055300-1430154850_thumb.jpg

Renumber completed

post-20244-0-36226500-1430154853_thumb.jpg

Thanks dt - going to get the backscene installed rather "better" than just pinned over the next couple of days and will post some more. It's one of those "ID" backscenes and I must say I do like it. Once I get some additional retaining walls and other "clutter" made it will fit in quite nicely I think :)

Seem's as though,time has been against you Ian.

Yes, John @ ID Backscenes is very good,he made up the one for DP, from my photographs'.

Archived