Millpond Central - a BR/SR Steam era layout

Ian Abel

Hello Ian, Looking forward to the progress on this one, looking great so far, love the pacifics of the southern region, 

George

Same here George. Not sure just how many I can "justify", but so far one of each BB/MN/WC... there are a couple of special items I want in those groups, we'll see.

I also like pretty much any and all the BR/SR steam that was seen on the Waterloo/Portsmouth mainline going through Weybridge my home town.

Need to source a nice Schools yet too.

Actually, anything that was shedded at Nine Elms/Stewarts Lane or Guildford will work for me :)

So - awaiting the arrival of TWO single-slips and a couple of cross-overs, all should arrive before the weekend.

Then I will be able to complete a SECOND loop, with crossover capability in both directions back into the terminal.

Some buildings being slowly created, the Water Tower finished less weathering and lighting - one photo for now, rather poorly lit with too much flash from camera...

post-20244-0-92204700-1395248319.jpg

Hello Ian,   You can't go wrong with the Southern Region, in the early 60s l was always at Waterloo trainspotting, travelling up from Portsmouth most Saturdays with two mates, we would spend most of the day jotting down numbers in our Ian Allen, cor great days..........

George

Same here George. Not sure just how many I can "justify", but so far one of each BB/MN/WC... there are a couple of special items I want in those groups, we'll see.

I also like pretty much any and all the BR/SR steam that was seen on the Waterloo/Portsmouth mainline going through Weybridge my home town.

Need to source a nice Schools yet too.

Actually, anything that was shedded at Nine Elms/Stewarts Lane or Guildford will work for me :)

If in doubt add an 'N' or two. :yes:  :yes:

If in doubt add an 'N' or two. :yes:  :yes:

Indeed :)

I've been looking at the Bachmann "N"s, they are awfully appealing!

Currently have an N15 (Hornby - Sir Kay) and a Lord Nelson class (Craftsman - Lord Nelson) and a Q1 (Hornby) that is exceptional...need a Schools also, boy the list goes on and on!

So - awaiting the arrival of TWO single-slips and a couple of cross-overs, all should arrive before the weekend.

Then I will be able to complete a SECOND loop, with crossover capability in both directions back into the terminal.

Some buildings being slowly created, the Water Tower finished less weathering and lighting - one photo for now, rather poorly lit with too much flash from camera...

attachicon.gifWater Tower-2.jpg

I like the weathering on the top of the water tower. Would adding some weathering powder to the brickwork get rid of the paper edges poking through?

Not that I know the answer you understand I have never built a cardboard structure it is a question NOT a suggestion.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting Ian. I've just found this thread and very interested. Its my type of layout, large roundy roundy with terminus.  Can I ask what you are using as trackbed?

I like the weathering on the top of the water tower. Would adding some weathering powder to the brickwork get rid of the paper edges poking through?

Not that I know the answer you understand I have never built a cardboard structure it is a question NOT a suggestion.

Jaz - thanks for stopping by :) Yeah, I have to get busy learning/practising weathering - I have all the tools to try, just need to get the time and courage!!

The paper edges are a result of me being too anal when bending the paper layers over the card formers, I want really tight/sharp corners but the result is the occasional loss of printed colour. Will fix that with weathering, when I get to it ;)

Thanks for posting Ian. I've just found this thread and very interested. Its my type of layout, large roundy roundy with terminus.  Can I ask what you are using as trackbed?

Hi, I'm using 3mm Depron. One of the many options I've seen discussed and I decided to try it because I was looking for something about 3mm (some of the ready-made roadbeds are 5mm, seems a little too much for me) and over here in the US I can buy Depron for really good prices. Seems it's used by a lot of R/C modellers and I get mine from an R/C supply place, They sell 6 sheeets 24" x 30" for $16US so you get plenty of roadbed for what seems like a very cheap cost...

I like how it cuts and seems to work well. Not done any ballasting yet but all I've read says it'll work fine with the regular PVA style techniques.

• 2 months later...

Well, that's what you get for partaking in a "minor kitchen remodel", there's NEVER anything minor when you start doing home improvements!! No significant amounts of time to work on a layout <sigh>

I thought it'd only somewhat hamper my progress, instead I ended up with precious little time to apply to the railway!

Anyway, a couple of updates to at least give the appearance that Millpond Central isn't dead.

1) Managed to install the single-slips so now there are two complete circuits, and crossover between each, one in each direction.

2) Installed Cobalt digitals on one of the crossovers and now realise I have to re-lay one of the points due to "technical issues"

3) Most of the short periods of available time spent building/finishing the Scalescenes North Light engine shed - pictures below.

post-20244-0-57623000-1402001354_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-57205200-1402001358_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-12816900-1402001356_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-70269000-1402001357_thumb.jpg

4) Obtained a Bachmann "N" class - they are really quite lovely locos!

post-20244-0-28249700-1402001494_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-34495200-1402001496_thumb.jpg

Slightly "bad" news - after all the careful sorting of the lifting section, it turns out that even WITH the planning and allowing for expansion, I will probably have to re-lay those sections of track as the rail as expanded enough to meet and start deflecting at one edge.

The offending location is shown in post #20 - when I cut the gap I thought I'd left it large enough :O

Guess I'll have to leave an even bigger gap! I expect that even though the temperature is reasonably "stable" in the house, overall the track was at its shortest when I laid it in the winter and will probably fare better from laying now and we'll see if there's an issue come winter again. At least a "gap" is easier to deal with and run across than buckled track end! :jester:  :jester:

Hoping to pick up steam some moving foward :)

• 2 months later...

Ack! Arrghhh! Once again, thwarted by the onset of "everything non-model reailway" <sigh>.

I've been making progress so slowly that I'm beginning to think I only visit the layout in my DREAMS!

The entire summer so far has been taken up with an endless stream of home projects, various diversions and functions designed to provide zero time for modelling.

That said, I've obtained a few more items of rolling stock, photos which I'll attempt to post soon, and FINALLY as of last evening managed to complete the 4-track roundy-round section.

I now have a completed 4-track mainline, and later today will actually attempt to run 4 trains simultaneously on their own tracks!

All that is left for track-laying is the goods yard area and I can also now start some of the scenic work, especially want to get the platforms built for both stations.

Did buy a keyfob cam and hope to start creating a few videos - they'll be rather pitiful as there is no scenery on the layout so all there will be to view is track on bare roadbed!

As we approach the end of "regulation summer" here in the US (deemed to end abruptly on Labour Day) I should get more modelling time consistently - here's hoping.

Ack! Arrghhh! Once again, thwarted by the onset of "everything non-model reailway" <sigh>.

I've been making progress so slowly that I'm beginning to think I only visit the layout in my DREAMS!

The entire summer so far has been taken up with an endless stream of home projects, various diversions and functions designed to provide zero time for modelling.

That said, I've obtained a few more items of rolling stock, photos which I'll attempt to post soon, and FINALLY as of last evening managed to complete the 4-track roundy-round section.

I now have a completed 4-track mainline, and later today will actually attempt to run 4 trains simultaneously on their own tracks!

All that is left for track-laying is the goods yard area and I can also now start some of the scenic work, especially want to get the platforms built for both stations.

Did buy a keyfob cam and hope to start creating a few videos - they'll be rather pitiful as there is no scenery on the layout so all there will be to view is track on bare roadbed!

As we approach the end of "regulation summer" here in the US (deemed to end abruptly on Labour Day) I should get more modelling time consistently - here's hoping.

I would not worry about that Ian, it will give you another medium to work with,  look at mine.. :O  :no:

all wonky.....

Hi Ian

As an absolute beginner I'm enjoying watching this layout develop and cribbing ideas where i can.

The scalescenes northlight shed looks great too and will only be improved with a few of Bulleids finest outside.

Any chance we,can have a few more pics please?

Nik

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, I was going to make/post some videos anyway as soon as I can get around to it - this just reminds me I need to do that and get back to the thread - AND MODELLING.

With summer over I can once again get some heads down modelling done, but sadly there's be little real progress on the layout that I care to show - it's mostly boring stuff <sigh>

Following the 4-track mainline, the roadbed has now been completed for all the remaining trackwork. That consist mostly of the goods yard area and some additional storage tracks.

Some track is already sourced but as of now, not ALL the remaining points, so there's some limit to what I can lay - I will be moving on regardless.

I've spent rather more time (and MONEY $$$$$$) accumulating rolling stock and locomotives, and also am busy with the walls, pavement and roadway for the front of the terminal building.

I found a delightful "7' victoria wall" on the modelrailwayscenery.com and am in the SLOW process of constructing about 6' of double-sided wall for the station approach.

See below - web site example, it makes up extremely nicely and I will post some pictures when I have more than one section completed...

post-20244-0-47080700-1414003877.jpg

I've also finished the Superquick Coaling Tower for the MPD, and whislt it's rather disappointing compared to the offerings of scalescenes and modelrailwayscenery, I wanted a larger "tower" style coaling facility, and until I can find a reasonably priced Hornby one, this will have to do, again, pictures soon...

As a motive power appetizer, here's 34003 Plymouth, not even out of the box yet, ready to get her decoder and accessories added.

post-20244-0-26652200-1414004103_thumb.jpg

I missed this one somehow but I really like the look of this.

What did you use to draw the track plan ?

Rob,

I look at the various offerings and decided on XTrkCAD in the end - it's FREE too which is a bonus for us cheap folks. It was for, for me, the most suited to my style and interface preferences. It has a full set of PECO track definitions (I'm using PECO Code 100) and I also liked the ability to add your own custom elements. I created elements for the various buildings I was constructing - it was the only way I could come up with the terminal layout without a lot of trail-and-error when actually building it.

I've also made a zillion changes and iterations and it's so easy to do, then just print the full-size track diagram to lay the roadbed/track. I like the feature that you can print the roadbed outline (and define the roadbed width) so you can simply lay the plan down, cut roadbed and then lay track... worked very well for me.

is the video making getting you down? If your uploading to Youtube i might be able to help....not much though...I stumble thru my own LOL.

Jaz - in a word "yes" :)

I've not problem with the posting, it's the creation... I got myself a cheap keyfob cam, and it works averagely well, BUT, I get a lot of vibration as I insisted on mounting it on a cheap/old Mainline wagon (don't get me wrong the Mainline wagons IMHO are really nice BUT they need to be re-wheeled first!!). The plastic wheels/axles aren't true and it just...wobbles some...and I'm embarrased to post the current attempts.

I've got to get back down to the layout and simply move it to a decent Bachmann flatbed that runs smooth, then I'll try and post soemthing - at least give everyone a laugh ... :O

I'm also nervous that since I've NO scenic work done, just track down on roadbed, there's not much to see and I could be summarilly dismissed from the forum for poor quality! :butcher:

Couple of quick pictures - camera phone so not best quality, will do better over the weekend...

34003 Plymouth now on shed - still awaiting accessory pack installation

post-20244-0-68912200-1414180349_thumb.jpg

Superquick (very average) coaling tower in position, overview of west end of MPD

post-20244-0-52174300-1414180368_thumb.jpg

Archived