Millpond Central - a BR/SR Steam era layout

Ian Abel

Time to actually start the layout topic and take the hits, rather than just hang out in Wheeltappers...

The layout in brief - a DCC layout set in the south of England, post-war BR/SR steam era. Encompassing a large terminus (6-roads), and a four track mainline "roundy-round" so I can have trains running continuously. Provision for a decent engine shed complex and goods yard. Additionally, a "junction" station to allow some stopping on the roundy-round.

PECO code 100 track in use and NCE PowerCab for present control, expecting to expand some to incorporate a smart booster as needed. 

The layout was started almost a year ago, in a planning capacity, and benchwork begun last spring, various events stalled a speedy build, but I'll get the thread caught up over the next few days...

So here we go, for now just posting the layout diagram while I compose myself and start the thread in ernest.

post-20244-0-45548900-1392075125_thumb.jpg

Here are some views of the final piece of baseboard to be built. This was required by the "management" to be moveable for access beyond a duck-under, so I decided to hinge it.

Due to the baseboard height, size of section, and restricted ceiling height, it won't hinge 90 degrees, but it's enough for the requrements.

I planned to hinge rather than removeable, for both the ease of use, removeable would have been heavier than practical, and ease of wiring. I'm running the bus around on the hindged side, and will simply provide enough slack in the bus wire to allow the section to be lifted. That way I don't have to deal with annoying connectors that may fail/cause problems!

Two questions/issues remain;

1) I plan on soldering the rails to brass screws on the baseboard joins - never done it and hope it's as straightforward as many suggest

2) Need a clever way to hide the hinges - not come up with one yet.

Lifting section, in "running" position. Already have trackbed in place as can be seen.

20140210_191124_zpsebc261a2.jpg

Lifted - there's a cleat in the ceiling that allows the section to remain "up"

20140210_191149_zps51c81ab7.jpg

Finally, the hinges and mounting blocks - how to hide them!!

20140210_191225_zps6f243c9b.jpg

Next up - Junction station area track being laid...

The Junction station also serves as the junction into/out of the Terminal from this the "north" side of the layout. There is one carriage/wagon siding far left, that will allow rakes to be shunted out of terminal platforms and into another platform without fouling the running lines.

The two up lines on the left both feed into the terminal throat with access to all platforms and the "fast" line will be used to feed out from the terminal across the up fast, crossing the down fast and onto the down slow road to get trains out of the terminal in the "down" direction. Additionally, using the down slow, in reverse, locos will have the shortest route to the engine shed/MPD area via the point at the far end of the right-most track.

Whilst I know reverse running and/or crossing fast main lines is not exactly what should be "happening" that's really the only way to handle the layout functionally...

Junction area track laying in progress.

post-20244-0-99281300-1392143830_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I'll post a few more pictures showing the terminal (only other area with track so far) to give you a feel.

Also, I think I'll start a separate thread for motive power/rolling stock, is that the "standard method"??

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I'll post a few more pictures showing the terminal (only other area with track so far) to give you a feel.

Alos, I think I'll start a separate thread for motive power/rolling stock, is that the "standard method"??

Not to sure I just post it all on the one thread but I'm pretty new to this to, more posts the merrier I say :)

Paul

Looks interesting. My only possible concern is the movable section.

Correct me if I'm wrong (please). But, if you raise the movable section, aren't you going to foul the track on both boards?

Duncan

the "raised" hinges should prevent that happening, or?...

to disguise the hinges, could you integrate them into the schenery with sort of hummocks of hanging basket liner?... would it then be flexible enought to move with the hinges?

the "raised" hinges should prevent that happening, or?...

to disguise the hinges, could you integrate them into the schenery with sort of hummocks of hanging basket liner?... would it then be flexible enought to move with the hinges?

Indeed correct - the hinges are raised on a 1/2 inch platform. Movement of the section at the hinged edge  actually separates the track by some significant margin - see second photo and imagine track laid. It has plenty of clearance (took a while to get the right raised amount whilst striding for the LEAST hight also.

On the edge-join, I plan to anchor the track both sides of the split by soldering rails to brass screws, the clearance hopefully will be a "tight razor saw width separation", and we'll see if that works or I need some additional separation - this may be done as early as this weekend, on at least one of the running lines.

As it stands right now, I still haven't acquired ALL the track I need for the entire project, so intend to start with a two-track complete circuit (want to have some trains going roundy-round), and build on as time permits from there. Still need to source additional points and probably one more 25-yard pack of rail.

Good idea on the hummocks/basket liner, may try that. I bridge at that point may not fit in, but possible also as I've not deicided on scenic detials quite yet - food for thought, thanks.

I think a removable roadbridge would work. You could use the hinges as the guide for the bases of the abutments. 

Ahh, I thought that too - but as the Mrs will be the prime user of the liftable section, I want to minimize anything "additional" that has to be done to lift it and gain access - on occasion remembering to do things like "remove" are forgotten :O and I fear I'll spend a lot of time re-building anything that requires moving/removing to operate <sigh>

I might just do it anyway though, as I have a vision of having that area be the roadway that comes down in front of the tracks and leads to the goods yard - do I trust that it can be moved when necessary is the 64,000 dollar question ;)

On the edge-join,   ...   the clearance hopefully will be a "tight razor saw width separation", and we'll see if that works or I need some additional separation - this may be done as early as this weekend, on at least one of the running lines.

Ian, re. a "tight width separation", this post may be of interest for you...

Armin

To add a little additional context, here are some more photos, this time of the terminal area - if you look at the Junction photo, the terminal is reached under the two arched bridge to the top/left of the picture;

View of the terminal platform arrangement (platforms yet to be built) from the bridge

post-20244-0-16313700-1392418478_thumb.jpg

Near ground level view, showing one of the station pilot/holding roads.

post-20244-0-26953500-1392418503.jpg

Looking towards the bridge from the station

post-20244-0-41546000-1392418546_thumb.jpg

Drivers eye-view arriving from the north/junction station

post-20244-0-15893700-1392418605.jpg

Hello Ian,

S'posse, your up to your ear's in snow out there,again............

Good to see you posting, at last.  Good pics.

I thought "we", had decided on a "circular block of flats" for that drainpipe, Hmm.when was the GPO Tower built ?

We must Skype soon.........

Hello Ian,

S'posse, your up to your ear's in snow out there,again............

Good to see you posting, at last.  Good pics.

I thought "we", had decided on a "circular block of flats" for that drainpipe, Hmm.when was the GPO Tower built ?

We must Skype soon.........

Ahh, the block of flats :) Heaven knows when I'll get to that, still busy trying to get some track down so I can actually run trains around in a circle and run seriously run some of the locos in! There's just so much to do sometimes I don't know where to start when I get time :O

Look for me on Skype in the week, should have some time...

Quick update to show the laying the first two tracks across the hinged section.

Right-hand track in position, soldered to screws and glued down, left-hand in place checking fit, ready to glue and solder...

post-20244-0-76021500-1392661367.jpg

We'll see how they do later this evening when I go for the "cut" and check the results.

"Cutting" appeared to go close to plan, although I was expecting a perfect result (NEVER expect perfect!!), and I did have to file the ends/tops of the rails a little ot provide a totally smooth transition. Other than that it seems to work well - so far.

Next quick update, I managed to complete the wye-inside track so that I now have the wye connected on both side.

Closeup of the Wye

post-20244-0-77082900-1393016875.jpg

View from the Junction

post-20244-0-13797000-1393016884.jpg

Having "seen" this layout build from it's conception, many, many months ago, talking about it, frustration of the build delay,..

your display of recent photo's, just goes to show,how much, in depth thought and what you have achieved.

Do like the all in one roadbed, just like my Dover Town Yard.

All ya gotta do now,...............is stay off e**y.

Well Done Ian...... :paint:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest achievement - all the track for/in the MPD is down and runs <yay!!>, I can now take a loco into the MPD area, turn it on the table and out again :) :)

post-20244-0-63684600-1394815597.jpg

In other news, there is a complete FIRST line of th 4-line mainline, and I'm now running-in locos.

Archived