Biffo deltic sound chip

virginhst539

I have! With a standard bass reflex in the tanks, anyone's Deltic sounds will sound miles better than Bachmann's standard speaker setup (in the roof facing up, without the benefit of an enclosure). I can't remember whether it was better facing up or down, but it will be better either way if you open up the tanks to allow the sound out. Suggest you try it both ways before finalising things.

However, if you don't mind a bit of plastic surgery there is a better option, which involves turning the tanks into a big sealed chamber with a length of rectangular tube-section down one side to act as a reflex tube. I tried four different speaker configurations before settling on this as the best by some margin; it really does sound like a Deltic. I am going to write up the method and will post here asap.

Bif

I have the same set up  - reflex in the tanks.

The main problem is biffs Loksound  chip is it programmed to the max 192 on the  CV63 [volume]. It is set up a lot quieter than other sound chips which is fine if you only have a small layout.

I also fitted a 2nd speaker 40x20 Blu tak sealed enclosure fitted inside the loco to see if it would improve on the volume, it did slightly but it also increase the 'white noise'.

I believe the Deltic is probably the hardest loco to do on a sound chip due to the limitations of the sound chips and speakers.

If you are looking for the loud roar of the Napier engines you will be disappointed.

I totally agree it is better than the original Bachmann set up [speaker under the fan].

I have recently done more work on the Deltic sound project to increase the volume level of the engines and reduce the noise level of all sounds, which has made a very worthwhile improvement. Together with the custom loudspeaker design (instructions for which I will be posting here shortly) I have for the first time made a 4mm Deltic sound like a real one. My Deltic-mad pal was more than happy with the four I did for him.

Quiet performance from anyone's sound chips is more likely to result from a poorly designed loudspeaker enclosure than any deficiency in the chip or programming. Volume improvements of 50-100% are easily achievable in Bachmann and Hornby locos by correcting this yourself. Dapol did the right thing by standardising on the self-contained bass reflex speaker, and actually making room for it at the design stage.

Bif

I have recently done more work on the Deltic sound project to increase the volume level of the engines and reduce the noise level of all sounds, which has made a very worthwhile improvement. Together with the custom loudspeaker design (instructions for which I will be posting here shortly) I have for the first time made a 4mm Deltic sound like a real one. My Deltic-mad pal was more than happy with the four I did for him...........

Bif

Biff.

Perhaps, you could reprogram my MK1 version?

I have recently done more work on the Deltic sound project to increase the volume level of the engines and reduce the noise level of all sounds, which has made a very worthwhile improvement. Together with the custom loudspeaker design (instructions for which I will be posting here shortly) I have for the first time made a 4mm Deltic sound like a real one. My Deltic-mad pal was more than happy with the four I did for him.

Quiet performance from anyone's sound chips is more likely to result from a poorly designed loudspeaker enclosure than any deficiency in the chip or programming. Volume improvements of 50-100% are easily achievable in Bachmann and Hornby locos by correcting this yourself. Dapol did the right thing by standardising on the self-contained bass reflex speaker, and actually making room for it at the design stage.

Bif

Hi Bif,

Which is the latest version?

I bought a chip marked V2 from Charlie / You at Warley - is that the latest?

Rgds,

We'll have the 7mm Deltic there, you can certainly hear the Napier roar & drone with that. Ear defenders available on request, which also come in handy for Charlie :-) No 4mm ones I'm afraid as they all belonged to my pal - I don't actually own a model of a Deltic in any scale! I can use the 7mm one to explain what I did though. My pal has sent some photos of the speaker mods so I'll try and post them and the description before I go to Glasgow.

Ian and Andy, please PM me with your questions.

Bif

Hi Bif,

Interested to see how you improved the speaker installation on the Deltic. I have the Bachmann NRM Prototype with sound which to be honest sounds pretty rubbish.

I believe its a Loksound 4 chip so will be looking to get it re-blown and I'll be doing the speaker upgrade once you've posed the details.

Regards

Ray.

Well, I have now received and fitted Biff's V5 version of the Deltic and yes, I totally agree it is much better - I still have 2x speakers fitted [modified bass reflex in the tanks and a 40x20 in the loco body] and its now on par volume wise with Biff's  40. :sungum:

Well, I have now received and fitted Biff's V5 version of the Deltic and yes, I totally agree it is much better - I still have 2x speakers fitted [modified bass reflex in the tanks and a 40x20 in the loco body] and its now on par volume wise with Biff's  40. :sungum:

can we have i video when its done. . .im not into deltics but i do like there sound 

Got biffs deltic chip at Glasgow today and I must say the 0 guage model sounds much better in person! It's the V4 chip don't know the difference between that and the one above but I'm very much looking forward to seeing the 4mm way if achieving the deltic sound. Also very nice to meet biffo in person.

Got biffs deltic chip at Glasgow today and I must say the 0 guage model sounds much better in person! It's the V4 chip don't know the difference between that and the one above but I'm very much looking forward to seeing the 4mm way if achieving the deltic sound. Also very nice to meet biffo in person.

im gutted i cant go glasgow but with a house move in 5 weeks and a child due in 10 weeks i only just blagged it to stafford and doncaster.. its always nice to see biff. .but with being a northern i bounce off charlie. . .preston next week  :senile:  :locomotive:

Archived