The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

So I have just seen this house....

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

We are looking to move house and yesterday SWMBO found a 2-bed bungalow on Rightmove. Not our usual type of property but in the right location, at a good price and with potential to improve.

Luckily enough, agent was able to arrange a viewing for me today. All much as I was expecting except for the loft which is about 29' long and wonderfully unobstructed by any timbers, chimneys, etc. And already a proper loft ladder.

So my question is: "How do I persuade my other half that it should be a railway room rather than a loft conversion with two new bedrooms and a bathroom?

• RMweb Premium

Do you have an embarrassing/sponging/otherwise obnoxious relative living within striking distance? If so point out that if you have the extra rooms that they are likely to want to stay overnight/spend their holidays with you/move in permanently. Of course you have to be very careful or you might get "Thats a good idea mother can come and live with us." But then on the other hand you can also suggest that some of your relatives that SWMBO does not get on with could move in.

Build the two new bedroom, and the bathroom, then snaffle one room for the train layout, then you have a nice warm area to work in all year round. Smaller maybe but more comfortable.

She will agree to the outlay....bonus

You might not get a big layout....but eventually you might have two small ones......sly as fox.......

We are looking to move house and yesterday SWMBO found a 2-bed bungalow on Rightmove. Not our usual type of property but in the right location, at a good price and with potential to improve.

Luckily enough, agent was able to arrange a viewing for me today. All much as I was expecting except for the loft which is about 29' long and wonderfully unobstructed by any timbers, chimneys, etc. And already a proper loft ladder.

So my question is: "How do I persuade my other half that it should be a railway room rather than a loft conversion with two new bedrooms and a bathroom?

Tell her it is full of bats.

Find her an expensive hobby which gets her away from the house - I purchased a horse for my wife and there is always something she has to buy for it !

Paul

You don't have to persuade her - just don't tell her when you move   ;)

If you don't need the extra rooms now thats easy. Convert just before you sell the property in the future - the money you invest in the conversion now is locked up until you sell. Assuming that you can get a yield on that money (or pay down loans) at a higher rate than building costs increase, you're quids in. :)

• RMweb Premium

If you don't need the extra rooms now thats easy. Convert just before you sell the property in the future - the money you invest in the conversion now is locked up until you sell. Assuming that you can get a yield on that money (or pay down loans) at a higher rate than building costs increase, you're quids in. :)

This seems the most honest way to start a discussion to me anyway.

• RMweb Gold

We are actually seriously considering just putting in the staircase for the moment as first phase would be to rearrange most of the space on the ground floor. I can then take my time with loft conversion, insulation, etc. The only big question is joist sizes. I think that I may have to take down the ceilings (horrible artex anyway!) a few inches to get big enough joists (engineered) into place. Must remember to take some sort of pole with me tomorrow so that I can get into the loft properly.

We have a second viewing tomorrow morning and an offer on our current house, so this could move forward quite quickly.

Archived