Ringfield strikes again!

miles73128

I think the issue with the ringfield motors is that they are relatively expensive to produce rather than anything else with the former Lima ones being non-compliant with current EU regulations. Hence Hornby retooling to remove them from older tooling where possible.

This might (and this is only ill informed speculation on my part) indicate that Hornby could be looking at this as the last hurrah of the old 91 tooling prior to a completely new one.

Lima can be much the same running as a Hornby 

The newest class 91 has the wheels spoked for some unknowen reason

instead of disc types

The nothern belle class 47 both set and solo release are Ringfield 5 pole units 

so i myself think we will not see the end of the ringfield in Hornby diesels

So presumably this one will be ringfield as well then?

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/product/37995/R3001_MR_Hornby_Class_91_Electric_Locomotive_number_91_110

Are they fitted with a DCC socket?

Still debating whether to get one of these. I do see the 91s a lot so would like one from that perspective, but the Hornby model isn't great in terms of detail, and if they haven't even updated the workings either then over a hundred quid is more than a bit steep...

• RMweb Premium

Soz about the title typo. Phone auto correct!

You can alter the topic name (as originator) by going to your original post and enter edit mode.

You can change the title (as well as edit the contents.)

Keith

I thought the set one was going to be the ex-Lima tooling?

I think the RES set one is the Limby, Hornby (I think!) have stated the Northern Bell will also be Limby.

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/product/37995/R3001_MR_Hornby_Class_91_Electric_Locomotive_number_91_110

Still debating whether to get one of these. I do see the 91s a lot so would like one from that perspective, but the Hornby model isn't great in terms of detail, and if they haven't even updated the workings either then over a hundred quid is more than a bit steep...

Quite, that's what I was thinking. Will still get it though

What is wrong with a ringfield? Properly maintained and used with a decent PWM controller - nothing. Simple to keep going too. I've seen many in my years of servicing them. The best were the original metal copies of Fleischmann motors though.

Stewart

Seconded - lot to be said for ease of maintenance and serviceability, earlier ones better than the cost-cutting Chinese examples with grey plastic gearing...

All you can do with a can motor is throw it when it stops !

• RMweb Premium

What is wrong with a ringfield?

Stewart

Hornby Dublo were changing to Ringfield's at the time of their demise.

The Castle I bought was extremely smooth and powerful, even though it was only 3-pole, however HD's implementation was in-line rather across the frame.

This meant it just had a worm and pinion rather than a set of spur gears

IIMHO the Hornby and Lima ringfields suffer from inertia more than a can motor. The three I have had all were slow to respond compared to cans.

Keith

EDIT also had an HD E3002 with a vertical ringfield - pity it only drove on one axle!

The nothern belle class 47 i can confirm has in both instances a ringfield non dcc ready chassis 5 pole

Mine was sold minus a center drive axle! The railroad class 47 which was a lima modified version was the blue pullman set

released around 2006. it has a lima top which fits the old lima complete chassis. Hornby did modify the chassis

for the blue pullman set engine to similar standards of the class 37 (exlima) railroad model

i could not find though if the blue pullman set was a dcc ready?

Given the very complex paint job, which is different each side, plus the roof roundels, it's not a bad price IMHO. And, my understanding is that the price includes postage.

I'd be surprised if these didn't sell out quickly, as I suspect people might just want them for display. And, of course, being limited edition they're not going to be repeated. But, you're the buyer, so it's your choice!

Given the very complex paint job, which is different each side, plus the roof roundels, it's not a bad price IMHO. And, my understanding is that the price includes postage.

I'd be surprised if these didn't sell out quickly, as I suspect people might just want them for display. And, of course, being limited edition they're not going to be repeated. But, you're the buyer, so it's your choice!

Doesn't really make much difference in manufacturing how complex the paint job is - as I understand it they effectively print the decoration onto the body.

1000 is a lot for a limited edition. I'd be surprised if they sell out quickly.

Doesn't really make much difference in manufacturing how complex the paint job is - as I understand it they effectively print the decoration onto the body.

1000 is a lot for a limited edition. I'd be surprised if they sell out quickly.

I was just going on the basis that it's a complex livery, and Hornby had said that their teak coaches needed 30-something passes in the print process. Obviously I'm happy to be corrected! I agree that 1,000 is a lot, but I understand that's the minimum Hornby will do. Either way, it's a lovely job and something that the home modeller would be hard-pressed to produce to that standard.

I think the issue with the ringfield motors is that they are relatively expensive to produce rather than anything else with the former Lima ones being non-compliant with current EU regulations. Hence Hornby retooling to remove them from older tooling where possible.

This might (and this is only ill informed speculation on my part) indicate that Hornby could be looking at this as the last hurrah of the old 91 tooling prior to a completely new one.

A new 91 would be nice, but given how poorly electrics sell, it's probably not top of the list. At least it leaves modellers with something to do, if they fancy an upgrade. There was an article in Model Rail many moons ago on this, I think

I was just going on the basis that it's a complex livery, and Hornby had said that their teak coaches needed 30-something passes in the print process. Obviously I'm happy to be corrected! I agree that 1,000 is a lot, but I understand that's the minimum Hornby will do. Either way, it's a lovely job and something that the home modeller would be hard-pressed to produce to that standard.

Pretty much smooth bodyside on the 91 - much more so than the teak coaches.

Agree it would be pretty  much impossible to replicate a livery like that by hand.

Archived