Connection for 12v layout power supply

I've got an intermittent contact in the power supply to the point motors on my layout. I've traced the problem to the connection in the multicore cable distributing the power to the layout. The connector is slightly sloppy, with the result that at times contact across the connector is lost. I'm thinking that a permanent solution might be a replacement connector.  I'm thinking about getting a 16 way inline connector. Has anyone tried a particular connector they would suggest, or can they suggest an alternative?. The layout is sectional which is why the cable needs to be jointed.

Thanks in anticipation of your ideas.

Alex

• RMweb Premium

I've got an intermittent contact in the power supply to the point motors on my layout. I've traced the problem to the connection in the multicore cable distributing the power to the layout. The connector is slightly sloppy, with the result that at times contact across the connector is lost. I'm thinking that a permanent solution might be a replacement connector.  I'm thinking about getting a 16 way inline connector. Has anyone tried a particular connector they would suggest, or can they suggest an alternative?. The layout is sectional which is why the cable needs to be jointed.

Thanks in anticipation of your ideas.

Alex

Is it the connector that's faulty or the wire? If its solid wire, its probably fractured & causing the intermittent fault.

The existing connection uses a 15 pin 3 row D-sub computer connector. Its a very tight space for soldering and subsequent checking of the joints, which makes re-soldering to a new plug an attractive option. There appears to be some "leakage" in the connection.  The wires in it carry the individual feeds to the point motors (Tortoises). Throwing a switch at the panel occasionally causes one of the other point motors to try to move, which suggests a partially loose wire intermittently touching one of the other pins and becoming live when the panel switch is thrown to operate the points.

Given that I'm probably going to replace the connector, any thoughts on the best one to use?

The cheapest multi-pin connectors are the 21 pin TV SCART type. You may need to connect leads in parallel as the cables are quite thin. SCART to SCART leads need to be checked that they have all 21 pins connected as some have only 9 leads (sufficent for their intended use).

Alternatively there are the DIN audio type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=multi-pin+connector&_sacat=0

There are heavier and more robust connectors available but they are more expensive.

I've used D-sub connectors for a while now for point motors, both solenoid and Tortoise, and not encountered any problems. But you must follow basic rules.

Don't use a wire size that will not fit into the bucket.

Don't strip insulation further than is required.

Always twist and tin wire end before fitting.(if it doesn't fit you can always file it down a bit)

Slip some heat shrink over finished joint.

Only then do the next one.

Best to have one connector fixed, the floating one can have a hood to enable easy disconnection.

JZ makes some very pertinent points there. The hoods for sub D also have strain reliefs in their tail ends if you get the right type.

Use a multicore stranded cable and the strain should be on the outer sheath, not the connections in the plug.

I used to help my father making up leads/cables when Jazz 102.2 fm first opened....... one cable was 256 pair !

Emma

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did everything that Jules suggests with the D subs, save both ends of mine are floating at the offending joint. At the other end of the multicore, where it connects to the layout, I've used a D sub without problems. There it plugs in to a chassis socket.  I've ordered the part Emma suggested, which hopefully will solve the problem.

Alex

Archived