DJH B1

Yes, it is in forward gear...my bad, sorry.

Lovely pics, lovely build.

Any reason why it's a Doncaster loco?

The choice of loco was pretty much random: I wanted one with lighting, English rather than Scottish as I had already cut away the strengtheners from the running plate, and I wanted one that lasted until near the end and had plates available. I cannot remember seeing B1s even though they were regular visitors to Gloucester. I remember in late 1965 a buzz in the school playground that there was a B1 on Horton Road 85B, but I have no memory of going to see it.

If I can work out how to do it I will post a video of it running and show the valve gear reversing and the lubricators being driven.

That would be interesting.

So if you are an 85B man...why a B1?

I remember seeing an article about this model in the Railway Modeller many years ago - I've since tried to find it and failed - and couldn't believe how much detail there was in the kit. I have a friend here in Bangkok who is also into modelling and we decided to get a kit each and see how the build went. I didn't know anything about 0 gauge kits but always liked the DJH 00 kits which 25 years ago when I was building a kit a month were much better than the other makes. So we chose something - more or less at random - from the DJH site. My memory of the RM article was enough to sway us to get this kit. I thought I would finish it in 3 months!

My next 0 project will be an 85B loco: 92250. I have ordered the plates and the Giesl ejector so now just need the rest!

I am presently building a Brassmasters Deeley 0F: pictures of this may start tomorrow, I have chosen 41537 a Gloucester loco.

I managed to find a few pictures during the build. I didn't take many.

post-13840-0-02695600-1396179810_thumb.jpg

Two things from these: I should have soldered the axle bearings in place before adding the springs, and for anybody else that makes this kit, don't follow the instructions to fix the while metal cylinder back plates to the frames. after I did this I realised that they were designed to be fixed with a screw which should be soldered into the casting. The casting, which has locating lugs can then be attached to the frames with a nut and removed later if you ever need to get the wheels off. My friend who was building a B1 at the same time was juts behind me at this stage and able to do it. I had to contrive a different arrangement so that the cylinders will come off.post-13840-0-35001400-1396179858_thumb.jpg

A view underneath post-13840-0-95781000-1396180254_thumb.jpg

Rear sander attachment. The rear sandboxes are fitted to the running plate. A convenient place to make a break so that the body can be separated from the chassis is at the valve under the sandbox.post-13840-0-09728600-1396180307_thumb.jpg

Incredible detail.

Whose model will 92250 be made from?  You didn't fancy a Piercey A4 then? Have a look at the detail photos on the DJH website...........

Incredible detail.

Whose model will 92250 be made from?  You didn't fancy a Piercey A4 then? Have a look at the detail photos on the DJH website...........

Seven models I think. I was so impressed by the Crosti models that were featured in Jazz's thread. It looks like it might be a better kit than the DJH version. I wondered if Sanspareil does a kit but I had no response to my requests for a catalogue.

Yes I do fancy the Piercey A4 and probably the other Piercy kits too. 

I had forgotten how much white metal there is in the Piercy build, but it looks very tidy work. If the Ivatt is anything to go by the 9F will be a great kit, but I would say not a quick build. Still, that prolongs the enjoyment!

Regards

Tony

No doubt there'll be some buying a few to flog on eBay....

I've recently seen an Acorn /Jim Harris.Ennis A4 on ebay for £599 with wheels.

But ACE still has the kit and it's £280. Without wheels. Some rogues on ebay.

I've a DVD railways around Gloucester and 92250 is taking a train of withdrawn under ground stock down sapperton bank.

If I was doing a South Wales based layout I would have to have 92250 but as it's Ranelagh Bridge it has to be 92220

From a MOK kit, nice B1 I could have one of them too as I've another DVD with one rolling in to padd on a diverted GC express.

I've recently seen an Acorn /Jim Harris.Ennis A4 on ebay for £599 with wheels.

But ACE still has the kit and it's £280. Without wheels. Some rogues on ebay.

Just means fewer of the 75 to go round to builders who can't pay Gosturde prices.

Hi, what a lovely job you have made of your B1.  I think from the photos the hairdryer trick has worked.  I am pleased for you.  I hate varnish, they do seem to go wrong more often than paint and it is always when the damn thing is finished.  A varnish I have used recently over my own models is Purity Seal Satin spray from the Games Workshop.  It works every time so far.  Over all paints - Humbrol, acrylic, Halfords.  The only problem I had with it was making some transfers craze slightly.  I think I was to blame, they had been applied to a matt surface with decal set, contrary to advice.  The varnish  dries to a very nice satin matt sheen.  Since most of my time in the workshop is commercial building I have recently started spraying old aerosol cans with the paints and finishes being used on the model .  I then have something to varnish before risking the model and pay day!  The Piercy Kits are superb, almost as much detail as the MOK kits. It will have to be MOK to find another loco for Gloucester. Regards, Malcolm. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived