TRAINWEST 2015 - 11 & 12 April

Geoff Endacott

Many thanks to those of you who supported the show last weekend, either by visiting or exhibiting. We seem to be doing something right judging by all the positive comments on here.

Now that things are done and dusted attendance seems to be up by 3%, which can't be bad.

We now have to decide where to hold Trainwest 2016 (and Trainwest 2017). Christie Miller is still available. Car parking will remain a problem, but this year we didn't have enough notice of the building works to do anything about it. If we can use Valldata next year (half a mile away) we will run a shuttle bus along the lines of a park and ride facility. We may also have a new park and ride car park available with space for 200 cars.

As for catering, I have asked if this can be done elsewhere in the building.

So, is the car parking a killer problem, or will visitors accept a park and ride from half a mile away?

Are the refreshments too bad, or will moving them elsewhere be sufficient improvement?

Is the building in such a bad condition that we should leave, or can we tolerate it for another two (or three) years?

In short, do we stay or do we go?

I look forward to your responses.

Geoff Endacott

My twopenneth ...

I visited with a disabled asthmatic. I dropped her off at the venue, parked and walked back. Inconvenient but not a big deal. The mould in the bowls hall is a big deal for an asthmatic, a really serious problem and I would doubt if the hall would pass any food health and safety inspection.

The lighting levels in the main hall is an issue unless the layouts have their own lighting. The lighting isn't unsafe, but I don't think it's suitable for a model railway exhibition.

HTH

Regards

I hadn't planned to visit Trainwest but got invited and am glad I went. I also did an hour helping Martin Wales out on Kinmundy before I had to depart. It was also nice to meet Phil Bullock and Jim and I did spend quite a while watching Abbotswood Junction...........right up my street and era!

For my first visit I was impressed with the organization and the quality of the layouts. Although I have a model railway (unfinished) it is not capable of being exhibited so I would never criticize anyone else's efforts. Yes I saw a few operating problems on some layouts and had one or two myself...............but this is a hobby and it should be enjoyed...........and the lady watching me curse with my first time using of sprat and winkle couplings said she had heard worse expletives!!!........and just laughed!

We parked in the road and walked a few yards no problem. The venue looked a bit tired admittedly but I have been in far worse and apart from being brought out a cup of tea whilst operating I didn't sample the cafeteria.

Well done Geoff and I'd like to say I will come back next year..........................wherever it is.

• RMweb Gold

As I wrote yesterday, I don't think that it is "broken" So don't "fix it" unless you really have a much better option. There is always a cost to moving an exhibition - both in sorting a new set of logistical problems and in keeping the audience.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to those of you who supported the show last weekend, either by visiting or exhibiting. We seem to be doing something right judging by all the positive comments on here.

Now that things are done and dusted attendance seems to be up by 3%, which can't be bad.

We now have to decide where to hold Trainwest 2016 (and Trainwest 2017). Christie Miller is still available. Car parking will remain a problem, but this year we didn't have enough notice of the building works to do anything about it. If we can use Valldata next year (half a mile away) we will run a shuttle bus along the lines of a park and ride facility. We may also have a new park and ride car park available with space for 200 cars.

As for catering, I have asked if this can be done elsewhere in the building.

So, is the car parking a killer problem, or will visitors accept a park and ride from half a mile away?

Are the refreshments too bad, or will moving them elsewhere be sufficient improvement?

Is the building in such a bad condition that we should leave, or can we tolerate it for another two (or three) years?

In short, do we stay or do we go?

I look forward to your responses.

Geoff Endacott

Regrettably for various reasons I couldn't make it this year although it is always a  show I have enjoyed in the past.  My views on the 'package' that comes with Christie Miller -

1. Parking has always been something of a lottery especially at busy times in the show, add in the seagulls and it can be something of an inconvenience  (a few years ago i spent more money using a car wash in Melksham than I spent getting into the show simply to prevent me having to chisel off the mess by the time I got home).  Overall I would prefer somewhere with better parking.

2. I have usually found the hall itself to be not too bad a venue for a model railway exhibition.  Quite happy to stick with in that respect - which sort of outweighs many others of course.

3. The former catering upstairs wasn't wonderful but it wasn't brilliant.  The downstairs off in the adjacent hall area isn't too bad but it compares poorly with many (most if I'm blunt) other exhibitions in terms of what is on offer.  Not the end of the world but I do like to be able to get a decent (preferably good) cup of tea and something pleasant too eat - if it's meant to be hot then it should be, if it's meant to be a cake then it should be a nice one, and sandwiches should be properly filled. So the catering needs some thought and some work (but I realise that might not be easy).

4. Overall 'offer' - usually very good for layouts so is the alternative venue as convenient, or more convenient, for exhibitors?   Normally in my past experience a well laid out show which is easy to find your way around - would an alternative venue facilitate that (it doesn't matter to me if it is spread over more than one building)?  Is the trade suitable for my needs - again could be venue related in terms of convenience of access for unloading/loading?

In other words - can you offer show wise at an alternative venue what you have offered at Christie Miller?

5.  Getting there.  For me Melksham is quite a pleasant drive along some nice roads apart from possible delays in Marlborough and Devizes (I'll ignore getting to the M4 as that is probably common to any route I have to drive in that direction) so I would miss it.   However if possible I much prefer to go by train and have a shuttle 'bus - Melksham is abysmal in that respect; notwithstanding what looked like pretty good connections in both directions this past weekend the totalled overall journey time would have been a joke in poor taste.  Thus I would prefer somewhere which is near enough to a GW mainline station to offer a more frequent and much shorter shuttle 'bus trip which would thereby cut down the total length of my day out.

So sorry if my views are a bit mixed but I hope it helps  (and of course the best venue ever in your neck of the woods was the one no longer available near the station in Chippenham ;) ).

Knowing the options you are considering for 2016, providing you can get the new venue for a price that works then I would move. There is also the excellent Two Pigs pub within a short walk from one of the venues and plenty of B and B accommodation nearby. If you do move to Corsham, you have halls with better natural light, better parking, better catering no mould and easier access from the M4, 15 minute bus trip from Chippenham. So the question should probably be why shouldn't you move from Melksham?

As an exhibitor I'm not too keen on too much natural light, it can mean on sunny days, as it was this year, and ones layout is in the natural light it can get very hot and also destroys any atmosphere that the layout lighting is giving. (I think all layouts should have their own lighting). This year as an exhibitor I cannot comment on car parking, but I felt that the venue was more than adequate for showing model railways.

For my two penny worth of views I'd say the following:

I travelled over from South Wales as I do every year,this year via the Cheltenham show, and I told my mate we would have to get food outside of the venue as it is so bad, so we had MacDonalds in Melksham. I also went for a well earned cup of tea, after walking around for two hours at the show, at 3pm and they just turned off the tea urns, and even if you can get a cup of tea it is pretty much a do it yourself affair where you are give a cup if hot water and tea bag and have to sort ur out yourself. I know this must be a problem for Geoff and the organisers, as having control of the catering can make as much money for the model club as the entry fees. I found this out having been involved with organising a small show in Wales. Having that control would be a huge benefit to the funds on Bentley Club.

The above is in no way a criticism of the Show, as I believe Trainwest is the best show I attend every year, and why I come over on a 160 mile round trip and pay the Severn Bridge toll! The quality if layouts this year was outstanding, the organiser deserve every credit for attracting such a diverse quality of layouts from all over the country. The emphasis there is quality. Geoff and his team must have fantastic contacts and the organisation of arranging these layouts so far in advance is amazing. I was so impressed by everything I saw last Sunday.

With regard to the venue, it looks tired and the lighting is poor and any layouts without it's own lighting suffers and appears very dark. A better venue would enhance the show immensely , especially with better catering as I said above. However, Trainwest has become , I believe, somewhat of a brand name on the model show circuit, and Christie Miller at Melksham is known to all who attend shows in the local area and beyond. Any move to a smaller venue would I feel be detrimental to the name of the show, and may have an effect on attendances, purely because of a change of venue. That could mean smaller income, albeit with smaller expense for less layouts, with fewer traders, and might require a drop in admission fee too.

Trainwest is a fabulous show , I wouldn't travel all the way to if each year if I thought otherwise, my favourite show as I said above. Great atmosphere , good trade and wonderful layouts, but shame about the catering facilities. The parking has never been a problem for me as I always go on the Sunday which is apparently quieter.

So in summary, stick with it.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

For my two penny worth of views I'd say the following:

I travelled over from South Wales as I do every year,this year via the Cheltenham show, and I told my mate we would have to get food outside of the venue as it is so bad, so we had MacDonalds in Melksham.

Tony

When MuckDonalds is a better option you know the catering is bad:-)

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I had a perfectly decent BLT (Bacon Lettuce and Tomato not Branch Line Terminus) at the show. A tad pricey but then I could have made the effort to make my own or pick one up on the way.

Having control over the catering is indeed potentially a good additional source of income for a Club and cuts down on the exhibitor expenses as well. But it is very hard work unless you have an ample number of capable volunteers to handle it.

I did not notice any seagulls. Perhaps wind was in the wrong direction on Saturday.

• RMweb Gold

I had a perfectly decent BLT (Bacon Lettuce and Tomato not Branch Line Terminus) at the show. A tad pricey but then I could have made the effort to make my own or pick one up on the way.

Having control over the catering is indeed potentially a good additional source of income for a Club and cuts down on the exhibitor expenses as well. But it is very hard work unless you have an ample number of capable volunteers to handle it.

I did not notice any seagulls. Perhaps wind was in the wrong direction on Saturday.

You didnt notice the gulls??

You must have heard them as they dont shut up all day!!!

Looking at it from an exhibitors point of view:

Having exhibited at the current venue quite a few times now, we find it adequate. There is a lot worse out there.

Access is good (although we dont park immediately out front for unloading and loading as you can get blocked in). We were packed and leaving the vneue in just over 20 minutes whihc is pretty much a record.

It can get warm in there on hot days but most sports halls have the same problem if its hot weather (We take clip on fans just in case anyway) although this year some exhibitors down the back of the hall found it a bit cold.

Seen much worse lighting in venues.

Exhibitors lunches were OK - again we have had much less than that at even some bigger shows.

We had the space we requested and more which makes it easier for all exhibitors in the same area.

Very happy to exhibit again if it remains in the same place but also happy if it moves but as has been said some posts back , that will bring a whole new set of issues some of which will only be found out after the first time, so a whole new learning curve for Geoff and the rest of the team.

I would like to thanks Geoff and his team for a very well organised exhibition. Thanks for organising the social get together on Saturday night.

The standard of layouts was exceptional and I was very pleased to exhibit 'Earl's Court' in such fine company.

Great to see Ian and the boys with 'the steel works'.....and to share a few beers on Saturday evening.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

1    As for catering, I have asked if this can be done elsewhere in the building.

2     So, is the car parking a killer problem, or will visitors accept a park and ride from half a mile away?

3     Are the refreshments too bad, or will moving them elsewhere be sufficient improvement?

4     Is the building in such a bad condition that we should leave, or can we tolerate it for another two (or three) years?

5      In short, do we stay or do we go?

As a starting point I would like to say thanks to you and your team for another cracking show .

My thoughts on your questions .

In order as numbered .

1   The catering was much better when you had the upstairs cafe , not your fault that it was closed I know ,

since being downstairs the choices are severely limited and this year was worse than last year .

2    Yes car parking was a problem this year without the spaces opposite available , we walked from the new area

and the mate who drove us suffers with bad arthritis and was pretty crock after the walk . A good park and ride

would certainly help with preventing that problem .

3   Even if the refreshments are moved it would also need to be upgraded to a better selection on offer , as mentioned

above this year was worse than last , all I could see this year were sandwiches and some cakes , last year there were

hot dogs , though not very hot , bars of chocolate and I think crisps . In the old cafe you could get a hot meal , not

Michelin stuff but at least burgers , chips and so on . It's nice to be able to get a bacon or sausage bap mid morning

after making an early start to attend .

4   The building although ' tired ' does serve it's purpose , at least the main hall is roomy with a good floor , and

unlike some venues it's all on one level and one room , no struggling up and down stairs .along congested

corridors into tiny overcrowded rooms that you can hardly turn round in .

5  For my 10 pence worth , if you can find a more modern venue that alleviates the current restrictions and at

a cost that is within your budget , I'd say move .

Two of us travel up from Burnham on Sea for this show , we have done the last 6 shows as it is one of , if not the

best in a sensible radius of us . You always have good layouts and trade which makes for a great day out , if you

can keep this going in a new venue you might even get more visitors .

• RMweb Gold

You didnt notice the gulls??

You must have heard them as they dont shut up all day!!!

No, I really didn't, Ian. And I did the ten-minute walk from the overflow car park (where nothing marked my black car).

Don't tell the wife. She keeps nagging me to get a hearing check-up.

Thanks for all the comments. They tend to confirm what we concluded at this week's club meeting. For the next year at least, Trainwest will be staying put.

The hall at Christie Miller is better than the alternatives. We don't have any other options for a single hall on one level.

Car parking is not the problem it might have been. We can make the overflow car park work better by providing a shuttle minibus. I already have a volunteer driver.

As for catering, it doesn't seem worth moving just to improve the food. Food for exhibitors was OK this year because we did it ourselves. Christie Miller are never going to be able to do much without an on-site kitchen. Perhaps we should advertise the burger van around the corner and ask him to stay open all weekend.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments. They tend to confirm what we concluded at this week's club meeting. For the next year at least, Trainwest will be staying put.

The hall at Christie Miller is better than the alternatives. We don't have any other options for a single hall on one level.

Car parking is not the problem it might have been. We can make the overflow car park work better by providing a shuttle minibus. I already have a volunteer driver.

As for catering, it doesn't seem worth moving just to improve the food. Food for exhibitors was OK this year because we did it ourselves. Christie Miller are never going to be able to do much without an on-site kitchen. Perhaps we should advertise the burger van around the corner and ask him to stay open all weekend.

Geoff Endacott

Your final point is an excellent one Geoff - many mobile catering type folk seem to be happy to attend events they know about in advance, subject to suitable parking being available for them of course.  Provided they serve decent hot food I would be happy to pop out for  some food (and if they served decent hot tea I would be even happier).  So it might be worth investigating?

• RMweb Premium

Your final point is an excellent one Geoff - many mobile catering type folk seem to be happy to attend events they know about in advance, subject to suitable parking being available for them of course.  Provided they serve decent hot food I would be happy to pop out for  some food (and if they served decent hot tea I would be even happier).  So it might be worth investigating?

A couple of things about this ,

it is not a mobile van , it's over 200 yards away , okay if it's not raining but would be unusable if it was ,

most off these catering outlets are not set up for the throughput you can expect from an exhibition venue ,

little or no seating and tables , what are there are again outdoors .

So while it sounds okay in theory to use something like this it still comes with problems .

• RMweb Gold

I am not suggesting the burger van should replace the catering at the hall, merely augment it.

However, a mobile van parked outside might be another option.

Geoff Endacott

Somewhere near you, I have seen a mobile food vendor who uses a bus. So a limited amount of "indoor" seating.

Archived