Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

I've been kicking myself for missing the Cheltenham show, so intend to catch you at Yate in January.

But could I suggest you post a reminder a week or two ahead of your appearances, to give your followers a timely kick up the rear!

All the best and thanks for modelling an area and era I remember well.

TONY

No problem Tony will do, thanks for the comments.

Well done Rob - glad Andy & BRM have 'found' Peafore! I'll have to buy that issue when it appears - definitely a layout worthy of publication.

I was briefly flicking through the current BRM issue in WHSmith today. Interesting that it features *two* 4mm Inglenook-based layouts (one of them being the new BRM Project layout 'Ruston Quays', featuring two levels like Peafore and a canal wharf ... inspirational!). Might have to buy that issue too, or even contemplate a subscription...!  :O

Hopefully I'll get to the Chippenham show (I HAVE to ... it's walking distance from here!), so I'll see you there. Any changes planned beforehand?

Alan

• Like 1

Well done Rob - glad Andy & BRM have 'found' Peafore! I'll have to buy that issue when it appears - definitely a layout worthy of publication.

I was briefly flicking through the current BRM issue in WHSmith today. Interesting that it features *two* 4mm Inglenook-based layouts (one of them being the new BRM Project layout 'Ruston Quays', featuring two levels like Peafore and a canal wharf ... inspirational!). Might have to buy that issue too, or even contemplate a subscription...!  :O

Hopefully I'll get to the Chippenham show (I HAVE to ... it's walking distance from here!), so I'll see you there. Any changes planned beforehand?

Alan

Hi Alan

Andy and I were chatting about Ruston Quays, a lovely little project. I am tempted to have an evening playing shunting puzzles with the layout having watched the latest BRM DVD.

No major planned changes to the layout, I am hoping to get the second rake of mineral wagons finished with the scrap loads and add a bit more detail to the scrap yard. I have also just purchased another class 08 so that may make it's debut depending on how much work it needs when it arrives.

• Like 3

Hi Alan

Andy and I were chatting about Ruston Quays, a lovely little project. I am tempted to have an evening playing shunting puzzles with the layout having watched the latest BRM DVD.

No major planned changes to the layout, I am hoping to get the second rake of mineral wagons finished with the scrap loads and add a bit more detail to the scrap yard. I have also just purchased another class 08 so that may make it's debut depending on how much work it needs when it arrives.

Ha - now I'll have to get the current issue. I didn't know the DVD covered shunting puzzles!

So I'm guessing your '08 is another Bachmann, also blue? By 'work' you're referring to weathering? That's something I'd love to try on one of my 08s (but still haven't found time to go any further on the 47 - busy summer!).

Ha - now I'll have to get the current issue. I didn't know the DVD covered shunting puzzles!

So I'm guessing your '08 is another Bachmann, also blue? By 'work' you're referring to weathering? That's something I'd love to try on one of my 08s (but still haven't found time to go any further on the 47 - busy summer!).

Yes it is another Bachmann one. In addition to renumbering to 08950, I need to fit some 3 links but the original Bachmann 08s had a poor design of pick up so I fitted new pick ups (with some difficulty) so I am not msure if the new purchase needs the same work. If it does it will wait till after Chippenham and I will fit Laserglaze windows as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is another Bachmann one. In addition to renumbering to 08950, I need to fit some 3 links but the original Bachmann 08s had a poor design of pick up so I fitted new pick ups (with some difficulty) so I am not msure if the new purchase needs the same work. If it does it will wait till after Chippenham and I will fit Laserglaze windows as well.

I've fitted extra pickups to both my Bachmann 08's. Two copper clad strips glued underneath, with phosphor bronze pickup strips onto backs of wheels and soldered to the copper clad. Then solder pick up wires from copper clad and solder to pick up wires already in place. Both of mine are fitted with TCS M1 decoders, so solder pickup wires to red and black wires. Both run superbly!

Also fitted the Laserglaze windows, which although a little fiddly, well worth the effort! I was have laser cut spring overlays (Time Horn) to fit to both, but not quite got round to doing these....

• Like 1

I've fitted extra pickups to both my Bachmann 08's. Two copper clad strips glued underneath, with phosphor bronze pickup strips onto backs of wheels and soldered to the copper clad. Then solder pick up wires from copper clad and solder to pick up wires already in place. Both of mine are fitted with TCS M1 decoders, so solder pickup wires to red and black wires. Both run superbly!

Also fitted the Laserglaze windows, which although a little fiddly, well worth the effort! I was have laser cut spring overlays (Time Horn) to fit to both, but not quite got round to doing these....

Hi Richard,

The loco arrived today and is one of the earlier batch so will need to do the mod, I know when I did my original 08 the improvement in performance was very marked. Laserglaze is planned, I popped by Howes today on the way home alas they only had the packs for the Hornby one so that will have to wait for a few weeks.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

The layout looks great, let me know which month the layout will be in I will try and get a copy.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Will do, I think it is pencilled in for January but not 100% confirmed.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

The loco arrived today and is one of the earlier batch so will need to do the mod, I know when I did my original 08 the improvement in performance was very marked. Laserglaze is planned, I popped by Howes today on the way home alas they only had the packs for the Hornby one so that will have to wait for a few weeks.

You could try Peters Spares ...

• 2 weeks later...

I had to empty the garage to allow me to finally paint the floor today in readiness for the rebuild of the Land Rover so while the layout was in the house I took the opportunity to set it up, more anon.

With a lot of the focus since Feb 2014 being on getting the layout finished for pre booked show commitments, I deliberately didn't do much work on Rolling Stock. Consequently I currently have at least a 12 month backlog of projects either in progress or waiting in the wings, some of which date back from 2012. 3 of those projects are locomotives and as I like to have at least one new bit of rolling stock at each show I thought I would look to complete one of them in readiness for Chippenham. The 3 locos concerned are 08950, 25185 and D1023:

post-7400-0-18159300-1441484760_thumb.jpg

D1023 is a standard Dapol model that I finally got round to getting the nameplates for earlier this week. Dapol have done an impressive job with the Western but putting the detail bits on is fiddly and time consuming, but the roof lifting rings have beaten me so have been left off

25185 is undergoing similar work as 25191, this should be straightforward for me to finish as I have already made the glazing. 

08950 was intended as a quick renumber of a Bachmann 08 but I should have guessed things wouldn't be so simple. My donor loco had the arrow logo in the wrong place, while 08950 had every hand rail painted white. Further more the donor loco has the early chassis so it required new pickups:

post-7400-0-52708100-1441485342_thumb.jpg

I also decided while the loco was in bits I would paint the cab interior and fit Laserglaze. I am a big fan of Laserglaze and eventually the whole fleet will be done where possible. Here is a before and after comparison with 08949:

post-7400-0-53336700-1441485424_thumb.jpg

I recently weighed in some scrap at the local metal recyclers and took the time to take a look around to see if there is anything else I should be looking to add in the scrap yard. Key things I noted were:

- Better security on the office. I will add some window bars and grilles, especially as Scrappies used to deal in large amounts of crash

- A snall weighbridge for high value metals. I have assumed my main weighbridge is off to the left of the layout but the small weighbridge would be near the office

- A loading shovel/fork lift truck - The yard I saw had some pallet sized bins for more valuable metals which are moved about by forklift. I also needed a way to load wagons as my magnet fitted crane would be no use for non magnetic metals.

I have a Knightwing fork lift which needs some more weathering before adding to the layout. I have also adapted an old Airfix JCB which I made when I was 11 and had suffered in the intervening 25 years but was salvageable and just needed weathering:

post-7400-0-52470800-1441486054_thumb.jpg

I always envisaged and designed Peafore Yard for home use as much as show use. To date most of the time I have set the layout up I have either been doing test runs in readiness for shows or operated as I would do at a show. Having watched the recent BRM freebie DVD which had a feature on Inglenook sidings and Shunting puzzles,and as the track plan was not that different to Peafore Yard I decided to have a go.

Essentially you have 3 sidings, 2 of which have 4 wagons and the third is empty:

post-7400-0-94239200-1441486599_thumb.jpg

Each wagons is different and has a card with its description on. The 8 cards are shuffled and 4 pulled out at random. The idea is to make the train in the order the cards have come out in the third siding by moving a maximum of 2 wagons at a time and having no more than 5 wagons in any siding at one time. 

post-7400-0-60756400-1441486787_thumb.jpg

It sounds simple but requires some thinking. 37240 provided the motive power,  30 minutes and a pint later the train was in the right order. All in all something a bit different and quite fun:

post-7400-0-25850500-1441487002_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-82869000-1441487014_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-43075800-1441487078_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-84001400-1441487097_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-02573600-1441487115_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-69180900-1441487129_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Hi Rob, the Layouts looking great and as for shunting puzzles, well I saw the Video too, and also having read a lot of John Flann's stuff on Hintock where he uses the Card system for a normal layout I must say its not as simple as it looks, and getting stock into the right order can be time consuming but also fun.

You Track plan lends itself well to the puzzle conundrum.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Rob, the Layouts looking great and as for shunting puzzles, well I saw the Video too, and also having read a lot of John Flann's stuff on Hintock where he uses the Card system for a normal layout I must say its not as simple as it looks, and getting stock into the right order can be time consuming but also fun.

You Track plan lends itself well to the puzzle conundrum.

Hi Andy,

I agree about the puzzle, you need to think at least 3 moves in front and it is very dependant on which is due to be first wagon in the 3rd siding.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Good work!

I too really like the Laserglaze, if a bit fiddly to fit and not cheap. I've converted a few of my locos and does make a huge difference. Just done my green Hornby 08 in readiness for light weathering.

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

Good work!

I too really like the Laserglaze, if a bit fiddly to fit and not cheap. I've converted a few of my locos and does make a huge difference. Just done my green Hornby 08 in readiness for light weathering.

Thanks Richard, the 08 wasn't too bad to do, the 37's are the hardest as I changed the frames as well but it makes such a massive difference. 

• Like 1

More work on the bench this morning, some 21t Hoppers that have been in the work in progress box for years. The parkside kit is very well detailed but is somewhat involved in it's construction but the light appears to be at the end of the tunnel and I look forward to ticking them off the list.

post-7400-0-82645300-1441540816_thumb.jpg

D1023 is finished except the weathering so with 15 minutes spare before the grand prix coverage I had a go at another shunting puzzle to give it a test run. The polarity on the loco is wrong which I need to fix and it has a lot of slack in the drive train so I will have to have the body off at some point.

post-7400-0-10133400-1441540983_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-86097100-1441540997_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Peafore Yard has a new home...

No I haven't sold it but as part of the weekend garage clearout/floor painting it has taken up occupancy in the corner of the garage where Pallet Lane used to live. I am about to embark on the rebuild of my Land Rover over the winter so need as much space as I can get and kept tripping over the legs which were in the way so decided to wall mount them when not required.

post-7400-0-80771500-1441550409_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Wow - wish my garage was as tidy as that! The added detail to the scrap yard is great Rob - I do remember those JCBs in my youth, so it brings back memories.

Great to see you trying out the shunting puzzle. I still haven't picked up that mag, but while building my Inglenook (still a long way to go) I've consoled myself with the best Inglenook 'arcade game' I've yet found, which came out recently on the iPhone: Tiny Trackz. It's British made, and even features Panniers! It's not free (around 3 quid), but the best game I've bought for ages. I am, of course, not affiliated to them, just a happy customer... I digress.

Looking forward to 'compare shunters' on Wednesday Rob - my Hornby 08's livery is very similar, and also is way too clean! I picked up some Railmatch sleeper grime, roof dirt and a humbrol 'Matt 173' (again a dirty brown) recently, so hopefully some of those might be useful? They were originally bought more for track & rail colour.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 1

Wow - wish my garage was as tidy as that! The added detail to the scrap yard is great Rob - I do remember those JCBs in my youth, so it brings back memories.

Great to see you trying out the shunting puzzle. I still haven't picked up that mag, but while building my Inglenook (still a long way to go) I've consoled myself with the best Inglenook 'arcade game' I've yet found, which came out recently on the iPhone: Tiny Trackz. It's British made, and even features Panniers! It's not free (around 3 quid), but the best game I've bought for ages. I am, of course, not affiliated to them, just a happy customer... I digress.

Looking forward to 'compare shunters' on Wednesday Rob - my Hornby 08's livery is very similar, and also is way too clean! I picked up some Railmatch sleeper grime, roof dirt and a humbrol 'Matt 173' (again a dirty brown) recently, so hopefully some of those might be useful? They were originally bought more for track & rail colour.

Cheers,

Alan

The garage won't be that tidy for long Alan as Julie keeps eyeing it up for garden clutter.... 

Likewise I am looking forward to the "Ale and Modelling" on Wednesday, I was hoping to finish weathering the 08 as well, the colours sound fine, Dave and I have a good cross  section of colours so we can fill any gaps in your colours.

Hello Rob

Catching up again with Peafore Yard and enjoying your latest photos of the layout. Nice to see the blue Western - hope it ends up looking reallly grubby after it's weathered.

Interesting to see how you operate the layout at home with the shunting puzzle.

Alan

Hello Rob

Catching up again with Peafore Yard and enjoying your latest photos of the layout. Nice to see the blue Western - hope it ends up looking reallly grubby after it's weathered.

Interesting to see how you operate the layout at home with the shunting puzzle.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

Re the Western, I have just finished weathering it and it is not as grubby as you might think, looking at photos from the time D1023 was kept reasonably clean (above the solebar at least) in 1977, so I haven't gone too mad. The photo below probably under plays the end result in terms of dirtiness but I am happy with how it has turned out:

post-7400-0-58392800-1441834332_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In readiness for the Chippenham show, tonight's "Ale and Modelling" session focussed on some tweaks to the layout and enabling Alan to get fully familiarised with the layout and 3 links, while Dave did some scenic work at the edges of the waste ground. I also wanted to test 08950 and 25191 which has had some work done as the snowploughs were catching in places:

25191 on test:

post-7400-0-66329500-1443041788_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-83346800-1443041805_thumb.jpg

Dave watches while Alan shunts the class 25

post-7400-0-80694800-1443041996_thumb.jpg

37029 gets a run

post-7400-0-03541200-1443041870_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-37872000-1443041892_thumb.jpg

Edited by 37114
  • Like 17