Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Any new updates my mate??

Hi Neil,

I will post a few photos later this week, I have been working on the advertising hoardings so hoping to have them fitted before the show this weekend. Other than that my spare time has been spent on this piece of 1977 history:

post-7400-0-10150000-1454826630_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Rob.

Be prepared for comments at exhibitions about the cigarette adverts though, I've had people complaining about the one on Mortimore's Yard! I remind them that it's the 1970s and that's how it was, cigarettes too long to fit in the packet (apparently). 

Looking good Rob.

Be prepared for comments at exhibitions about the cigarette adverts though, I've had people complaining about the one on Mortimore's Yard! I remind them that it's the 1970s and that's how it was, cigarettes too long to fit in the packet (apparently).

Thanks Adrian, I had a cigarette advert on Pallet Lane (albeit the design was a bit more subtle) and didn't have many comments, and I agree they were an ever present part of the 1970s. I did deliberately place the Skoda advert at the front partly to make the cigratte advert less visible. Edited by 37114
  • Like 1

Those hoardings are looking great, Rob, what a good idea! From the photos, not only do they hide the fiddle yard exit, but they improve the 'topology' of the layout too, breaking it up a bit. I can just imagine the atmosphere of that second shot at twilight, with distant flange squeal as the 08 approaches and the orange/yellow sodium street light flickering slightly...  :)

Adrian raises a good point about the smoking adverts - we'll see what the reaction is on Saturday at Yate. The Skoda advert is brilliant - and another good talking point with visitors. Having lived most of my adult life in its native land (and driven a 120L on occasion), I begrudgingly admit that the rear-wheeled design had some benefits - but forget about meaningful conversation if you were ever in the back!

Those hoardings are looking great, Rob, what a good idea! From the photos, not only do they hide the fiddle yard exit, but they improve the 'topology' of the layout too, breaking it up a bit. I can just imagine the atmosphere of that second shot at twilight, with distant flange squeal as the 08 approaches and the orange/yellow sodium street light flickering slightly...  :)

Adrian raises a good point about the smoking adverts - we'll see what the reaction is on Saturday at Yate. The Skoda advert is brilliant - and another good talking point with visitors. Having lived most of my adult life in its native land (and driven a 120L on occasion), I begrudgingly admit that the rear-wheeled design had some benefits - but forget about meaningful conversation if you were ever in the back!

I wonder how many Skoda jokes I will hear (none of them will be new to me)? :-)

What a fantastic aid to disguising the fiddle yard exit. My brain would have got no futher than a bridge or building as a view-blocker. It works a treat and looks superb. Like the ads too. Pure 70s.

Hi Neil,

I will post a few photos later this week, I have been working on the advertising hoardings so hoping to have them fitted before the show this weekend. Other than that my spare time has been spent on this piece of 1977 history:

Good luck with the Landy. I loved mine when I owned a short wheelbase  77 safari in the 90s but had to sell it when children came along. Now I've got used things like working heaters, power steering and to ad to that  our latest car is automatic!

Love the layout.

Edited by mullie

What a fantastic aid to disguising the fiddle yard exit. My brain would have got no futher than a bridge or building as a view-blocker. It works a treat and looks superb. Like the ads too. Pure 70s.

Thanks Pete. Originally I wanted to model part of the GPO building on the frontcorner of the layout so the parcel conveyor could have formed the scenic break but when I drew it out the plan didn't work so the hoardings are a good compromise. Ironically the scenic break was an area I struggled with on Pallet Lane so will be something I plan properly on the next layout.

The 'cigarette ad' issue is easily solved; place a man reading his copy of The Sun at the front of the layout and make sure he is at page 3...that will distract the critics (regular blokes will just smirk, feminists will be too embarrassed they bothered to check to see if it was page 3, and so on...)

• Like 2

The 'cigarette ad' issue is easily solved; place a man reading his copy of The Sun at the front of the layout and make sure he is at page 3...that will distract the critics (regular blokes will just smirk, feminists will be too embarrassed they bothered to check to see if it was page 3, and so on...)

I have got a set of Faller figures (the type that come in the black box with no windows) in the cupboard I could place at the back of the railway arch that would prove a distraction. Ironically it was my wife who spotted them in the model shop in Skipton...

Hi Rob I really like the hoarding boards idea to help hide the low level exit into the fiddle yard. Any plans in the pipeline for the exit on the high level?

Thanks for your comment, welcome to RMweb. The short answer is nothing planned for the top level yet, I am sure one day I will think of something. 

Great to meet so many RMweb members yesterday at Yate. It was my first time as either an exhibitor or punter at the show and I was impressed how well organised the show was, with a nice friendly atmosphere. We had a few niggling problems in the morning and the 3 link god was obviously displeased as I was struggling with them but it calmed down by the afternoon. 

Alan and I agreed in the car on the way home that as there are 2 independant tracks and 2 controllers, that the wiring should be modified to let 2 of us operate the layout at the same time (at the moment only one controller can work either level). I will probably look to do this sooner rather than later as Trainwest is only 8 weeks away.

Being a glutton for punishment I also agreed with Mike Walker that I will have my next layout ready for Cheltenham April 2019... Oh and it will be in a scale I have never dabbled in before so it's going to be an interesting 3 years.

• Like 4