Shapeways have a new button..

Read the T & C it's not as straight forward as it sounds.

What have I missed? It seems straight forward.

The problem Shapeways seem to have had recently is that with the massive expansion they have employed a lot more people. 4 or 5 years ago when I submitted a model, a printing technician would look at the model and decide whether it would print or not based on their experience. For the past few years it seems they have switched to relatively inexperienced people analysing the models against a check list, meaning that a model could be rejected because a wall didn't meet the guidelines, even if the model would print and clean up without a problem.

Once they bought in the checklist method I was having 2 year old models which had been printed by customers 10, 20, 30 times before being rejected because a wall was 0.65mm not 0.7mm.

It seems the main reason for the minimum wall thickness isn't so much problems printing, but damage during cleaning. Of course if a model failed during printing then it could affect the print quality for other items being printed at the same time, so obviously they won't print everything. If it would fail during printing and compromise the quality of other models they can't print it.

Cheers,

Jack

About time! 2 years ago they printed over 20 of my little bagnall which had 0.17mm diameter handwheels in the cab. Now they reject them when they're 0.5mm thick. Embarrassingly they chose to start rejecting them 2 days after the model in question was featured in a magazine, thus sparking several orders, and I think 2 sales were lost (the others contacted me and I let them know what was happening).

Basically, the machine and material are the same as 2 years ago, therefore what I used to be able to print then, WILL print now.

Archived