Modellers Carpet

My basebords have warped their last and the whole model railway room is going to get redone (including the 1988 Thomas wallaper!)

As it is a spare bedroom and the floor boards are naff I will need a carpet but the existing one attracts (and creates) dust like mad. Has anybody got any suggestions as to the best type and manufacturer for dust free modelling?

I does not need to be fine-scale and colour can be anything (expect GWR green)  

The words "carpet" and "dust-free" generally don't go, but the nearest you'll get is Floatex.

I love walking on it barefoot.

Oh, sorry, that's another website........oops!...... :blush:  :mosking:

Although our spare room is ok, for modelling protection we've put a decorating dust sheet (the plastic backed cotton type) on the floor - very useful when the "resin water" decided to leak out of a hole I didn't know was there, and the time I dropped my pack of track pins.

IMHO small parts can either drop - in which case a watchmaker's apron is a good scheme http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/modern-professional-watchmakers-can-learn-lot-artisans-past-815543.html

I've made one and its saved a lot of crawling round the floor

Or they can ping.

Apart from surrounding the modelling board with walls there's not a lot that can be done here.

But definitely NO carpet!

[EDIT] the 'over the shoulder' ping is the worst

If you are determined on textile on the floor, another shout for Flotex. Quieter for those downstairs than harder floorings, doesn't shed dust or fibre, very tough, comfortable underfoot. Got it installed in a couple of publicly rentable rooms, holds up very well despite heavy traffic; should imagine it will give very long life in domestic use.

Until the doorbell rings!

Mike.

So you fasten the neck with a small piece of velcro - which rips apart if you stand up and move away. Works for me.

[EDIT] and by small I mean about 3/8 in square. It holds it up but releases when necessary.

The room I called my modelling room in the house before last had a Flotex floor covering and it is by far the best surface I have found for a train space - the ease of locating errant parts (even Kadee springs) is a boon and the floor is quiet & springy underfoot so no fatigue issues if a long operating session whilst standing is undertaken.

I would certainly use it again.

My railway room has a pale laminate floor, which seems to work for me.  Another possibility is cushion-floor (usually referred to in the UK as 'lino').

I would not recommend what is called 'lino' in Bulgarian...

I notice that someone seems to find this post difficult to understand.  I presume that the first paragraph is understandable...

The word 'lino' in Bulgarian refers to perfectly natural waste products from live animals or humans.  It does tend to be only available in brown, though.

Archived