Detailing the Triang 3f

It's a 3F at a quick glance to tell the differance a 4F has a raised "step" up over the cylinders on the running plate and front buffer beam in front of the smoke box where as the 3F is flat as you can see in these two photo's the first shows a 3F with a flat running plate and the second a 4F with the raised step

post-17847-0-28323900-1394609367.jpg

post-17847-0-15615200-1394609379.jpg

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

Very nice, but isn't this a 4F?

3Fs and 4Fs used similar sized boilers. The 4Fs were superheated so needed a longer smokebox while the 3Fs weren't and had a shorter smokebox. The 4Fs also had piston valves above the cylinders (the 3Fs had slide valves between the cylinders) which required the boiler to be pitched a bit higher.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

It's a 3F at a quick glance to tell the differance a 4F has a raised "step" up over the cylinders on the running plate and front buffer beam in front of the smoke box where as the 3F is flat as you can see in these two photo's the first shows a 3F with a flat running plate and the second a 4F with the raised step

Fascinating. You can really tell the difference. It's a shame that none of the 3Fs have survived.

I hope it runs well better than before. Unless, you had the recent Bachmann model of it...

The early 3Fs with non see through wheels and screwed together chassis can be made to run really nicely if fitted with Markits Romford wheels.  Bushing the chassis and soldering the gear wheel to an axle bush and to a 1/8th axle makes a good solid job but the motor pokes into the cab. I plan to shorten an X04 by fitting super neo magnets at some stage for mine and with the screw together chassis the front weight can be shortened to leave a void between the frames which cutting away the under boiler skirtings would reveal.

Say what you like about Triang (and their successors) but it can't be denied that, in their day, they were at the forefront of plastic injection moulding. That their products are still considered worthy of work and, given that work, produce quite decent models I think speaks volumes. Their biggest failing seems to have been to have made little progress post ~1965 or so, until Airfix/Palitoy/Lima (maybe not quite so much) gave them a big wake-up call in 1976 or so.

No doubt some one could blast holes in these models. And will point out Bachman do a new and improved

But the best thing is your haveing FUN and enjoyment doing this which is the most important thing

Keep going and enjoy Modeling

... It's a shame that none of the 3Fs have survived.

Or even something earlier yet from the Derby line of development: a Kirtley outside framed / Johnson round top boiler specimen actually survived working into BR ownership as no 58110, a design with its beginnings just twenty years after Stephenson's Rocket...

Technically, the 4F is sufficient as the end of that development line. The British 0-6-0 format became pretty uniform early on, such that the preserved earlier specimens of various types between them enable one to chart the development path readily.

No doubt some one could blast holes in these models...

Or even did. Notably the H-D and Wrenn product would survive assault by air rifle, where the Triang bodies finished up shredded. (The Triang was much more fun, simply because bits flew off; and of course some cement could reassemble them somewhat.) The bodies were in fairly plentiful supply too, as kids without any suitable oil available wore the mechanisms out something awful...

• 7 months later...

Morning all,

Here are my two Old Ladies. I suppose these have had the Full Sponpost-17261-0-06173800-1529828892_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-41577300-1529828966_thumb.jpg.

Boiler modded, full Romfords, handrails etc. One has a modded Triang tender, the other an old Ratio tender.

Both still have the excellent XO4 motor in them. The Deeley tender version has the origional worm and gear.

I just love 'em to bits!!!

• Like 5

I cheated and ended up using the Airfix 4F mechanism and chassis, the body donated some items like the smokebox door.

attachicon.gif

Personally I would use the Triang Chasis under the Airfix 4F..   I actually have one under construction in my scrap box as I write.

• Like 1

Yes I think we have different requirements/expectations (which is fine).

Very well put. We all like different things and if you are getting enjoyment from them it's a bonus.

They're great for projects and for enhancing skills. I think I lost count of the amount of Class 31 and 37s I detailed back in the early to mid 1980s as a teenager. They were going for pennies as everyone wanted the newer versions. If you messed it up then you went to the model shop and bought another one.

Personally, anything Triang or Hornby Dublo would be put on eBay or straight into the bin now unless it has sentimental value. I fail to see any reason to use what I now see as toys that haven't even been made for over fifty years.

Jason

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...