Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget, if you do this, you then need to chop a little bit more off the remaining pony truck, or it will foul the steps in their new position. Just cutting the steps off isn't good enough. How do I know this???

Not visible in this side-on shot is that I added a dummy screw-link coupling on front.  The Hornby part X.5069 (good choice of number!) is IMHO a nice cosmetic detail when added to relevant locos, £3.99 + p/p on Hornby site.

Edit: The Dave Franks/Lanarkshire models loco lamps are much better size than most on the market.

As it will end up on Ebay at some point - so I won't hack the pony truck about.

A quick hunt through my spares box located a Hornby dummy screw-link coupling (I always seem to have a few lurking about), however the coupling hook on the front of the loco was well glued in and I had to drill it out.

• RMweb Gold

Just a head on shot for completeness showing the lamp and dummy screw coupling.  (I must remove that crud from below the lamp which I didn't see until I'd processed the pic.....).  I'd quite forgotten that I too had had to drill out the old coupling hook.  IMHO those 2 small changes do a lot to enhance the front end of the model.

rev%20Crosti%209F%20front_zpsxn483zsc.jp

• Like 7

I thought this thread might be the best place for my query.

Back in 2015, I bought this Hornby Pullman brake , unboxed, at a collectors fair.

It is in an early livery, with a cream facia. I don't recall ever seeing another one like it.

I know Hornby produced a GWR ' White Pullman ' set some years ago, but the old

railroad Pullmans were used, and were in this livery.

This model is a matchboard, super detail car. Any thoughts?.

post-24481-0-36348500-1484733704_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Back in 2015, I bought this Hornby Pullman brake , unboxed, at a collectors fair.

It is in an early livery, with a cream facia. I don't recall ever seeing another one like it.

The closet match in catalogue number is R4425, however I've never seen one with cream going over the guards compartment like that. I can only assume it's from a Train Pack. Are the couplings the NEM Socket type?

The closet match in catalogue number is R4425, however I've never seen one with cream going over the guards compartment like that. I can only assume it's from a Train Pack. Are the couplings the NEM Socket type?

Yes NEM pockets. The livery on this car is unusual, as you say, with the cream over the guards compt. All paint/ printing is original, factory applied.

• RMweb Gold

Yes NEM pockets. The livery on this car is unusual, as you say, with the cream over the guards compt. All paint/ printing is original, factory applied.

The more I look at, the more I think you've got a pre-production paint approval sample.

The more I look at, the more I think you've got a pre-production paint approval sample.

It is possible that this car is a livery sample, I have another. A Pair of Brighton Belle motor cars ( 1960 ) with the bodies moulded to take air horns.

The production 1960 motor cars had whistles. This set was bought more recently.

• RMweb Gold

It is possible that this car is a livery sample, I have another. A Pair of Brighton Belle motor cars ( 1960 ) with the bodies moulded to take air horns.

The production 1960 motor cars had whistles. This set was bought more recently.

Sounds like your attracting the pre-production samples. ;)

That being said, pre-production items have turned up on eBay on occasion.

Sounds like your attracting the pre-production samples. ;)

That being said, pre-production items have turned up on eBay on occasion.

Most of my models were purchased at Model railway shows, the Belle pair at the Bluebell railway's model railway weekend.

Many thanks for your input.

• RMweb Gold

Just about to enter the paintshop (hence masking) and soon to have the horrid factory weathering eliminated - former 92021 now 92022.

post-7000-0-67707000-1484755838_thumb.jpg

Also sporting a couple grab rails, lamp irons and a dummy screw-link coupling at the front end. Oh and it's lost the extra handrail by the lighting up chimney (left-hand side one)

Once Dirty (sorry Deltic) Prototype Number 2, is finished...

....a special project will commence, Hornby may of dropped it from the 2017 range in favour of one that doesn't need new tooling to various parts of it's anatomy (pipe-work and sand box fillers) that are unique to her being the first rebuild of her entire class ;)

A donor was located (in the loft)

The various diameters of copper wire were found (in the shed)

And the etched plates are on order (Modelmasters)

Need I say more?

:jester:  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just about to enter the paintshop (hence masking) and soon to have the horrid factory weathering eliminated - former 92021 now 92022.

92022_awaitingpaintshop.jpg

Also sporting a couple grab rails, lamp irons and a dummy screw-link coupling at the front end. Oh and it's lost the extra handrail by the lighting up chimney (left-hand side one)

Once Dirty (sorry Deltic) Prototype Number 2, is finished...

....a special project will commence, Hornby may of dropped it from the 2017 range in favour of one that doesn't need new tooling to various parts of it's anatomy (pipe-work and sand box fillers) that are unique to her being the first rebuild of her entire class ;)

A donor was located (in the loft)

The various diameters of copper wire were found (in the shed)

And the etched plates are on order (Modelmasters)

Need I say more?

:jester: :jester:

Hmm could it be a BIL by any chance?

Hi Trevor7598 - I`m finishing up with Antony Ford's Pullman Profiles  - I purchased the 1st 3  at Christmas - and could you please confirm what the car number is  - I just can`t make it out  - Car 38? But I gather it is a Standard K type built in the early 20s

• RMweb Gold

British India Line has finally got a set of etched plates and a tender top swap for a late crest one (hence red nameplates)

post-7000-0-56598400-1485550243_thumb.jpg

And a commission is nearly done - the owner just wanted a rename & renumber, so sent just the loco body..

post-7000-0-31759800-1485550214_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby D16 is a lovely model, and with the red box team deciding to do 62581 in brown sludge meant that bargains were to be had. Hornby's interpretation of weathered:

rev%2062581%20800px_zpsytesgfhl.jpg

62581 was withdrawn in 1953 but 62584 lasted until 1957 at Cambridge and hopefully visited Oxford (close to my layout area) some time 1954-57 when D16's were known to operate the route.

rev%2062584%20800px%20side_zpsjkgooxet.j

rev%2062584%20800px%20front_zpsn6hd0t98.

rev%2062584%20800px%20rear_zpscmxndbr4.j

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Finally finished

35018 British India Line

post-7000-0-49188100-1485805922_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-81212100-1485805957_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to Glenn (mattingleycustom) for the plates, the ones I ordered from modelmaster are still yet to arrive - still they will get used on the next one ;)

Apologies for the lurid background - the rename for a client is done ( was posted back to him today)

post-7000-0-08665700-1485806220_thumb.jpg

On the strength of it, I've got two more to do...

• Like 1

Superb work on Crosti, D16 and Bulleids thankyou gents, but may I add a contender for 'best ever'?  

Having bought a couple of second-hand and new Schools class models, and been once again reminded of the fragility of well-detailed models, I must place this model high up on any list. They even come with superb close-coupling!

I must add that if value for money is a factor, then current offerings in the UK of S15s, K1s, B17s, B1s, Kings, and the Schools, all in the £75-90 range , how does anyone generate profit at these prices?

But back to the Schools class, I am not only blown away by the sheer quality of the model, I have bought the Irwell Book of the Schools 4-4-0s by Richard Derry and it is up there with the absolute best of that series of books, beautifully written as ever by Richard Derry and brilliant photos throughout.

So my vote for this week is the Hornby Schools class. Photos of course all edited to a greater or lesser extent.

post-7929-0-57050800-1486071122_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-80493100-1486071026_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-04624200-1486071085_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Robbie  

p.s. next week it may well be S15s...  I have an SR black/sunshine version on its way to me . :)  

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Nice looking model,Rob....but not the best performer. I hope the new version will not have the infamous Satan's plug which on this particular model is a nightmare.

I don't see Hornby redesigning the model to move the DCC socket back into the loco just to eliminate the Plug.

• RMweb Gold

I don't see Hornby redesigning the model to move the DCC socket back into the loco just to eliminate the Plug.

Why not ? Almost all releases and new versions of existing models arrive permanently coupled and plugged in ready to go...so no reason fot this example to be different surely ?