Model Rail 194 April 2014

dibber25

Issue on sale March 13. 

Contents:

Reviews, including Farish 'Jinty' 0-6-0T and second batch Heljan Class 128s

News: Latest new product photos from ModelRail Scotland, Model of the Year Results

Layouts: Seend BR/WR (OO), Deesdale Road (Modern Image, OO), Leeds Central BR/ER (OO)

Workbench:

Get the best from grass mats (PM)

Interior revamp for a Heljan AC Cars railbus (CJL)

Build a model of railbus LEV1 (JS-W)

How to build a quarry layout by Chris Nevard

How to install low reliefs and backscenes (CJL)

Modelling 60099 in N (BA)

Feature: Where next with Maunsell coaches?

Regulars: Q&A, Show & Tell, Backscene, plus George's Diary. 

A major revamp of MR195 means that some articles shown in the 'Next Issue' advertisement within issue MR194 may be deferred (notably the 'Merchant Navy' article). Apologies for any inconvenience this might cause. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

some articles shown in the 'Next Issue' advertisement within issue MR194 may be deferred (notably the 'Merchant Navy' article). Apologies for any inconvenience this might cause. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Deferred to tie in with a new product announcement by the [red/blue-delete as appropriate] team, perhaps? :-)

Deferred to tie in with a new product announcement by the [red/blue-delete as appropriate] team, perhaps? :-)

No, just to give thorough coverage to a new arrival. Haven't seen the box yet - It's likely to be red AND blue....

My copy arrived today.

I enjoyed reading Jim Smith-Wright's exposition of how he made a model of LEV-1. Jim is not afraid to think outside the box - making a 114 from a 110 would never have occurred to me, for example - and cutting up a 142 is perhaps something that many of us would like to do to the real thing!

Chris Leigh's piece on low relief buildings took me back over 50 years [October 1963, I think] to when one of his predecessors on the Constructor did something similar with SuperQuick kits.  When was the last time you saw Bilteezi in a magazine?  Nice one!  What goes around comes around, I suppose, but I really liked the retro feel of this project.

However, I was disappointed with the three-handed feature on Maunsell coaches, not because it identified some candidates for being modelled and gave prototype information but because the approach to modelling them was the hope that Hornby will do it one day.  I expect that I am in a minority of one by wishing that there had been suggestions of how to cut up Hornby Maunsells or use kits to achieve the desired result.  One of the authors is responsible for marketing a range of kits!  I wonder if any of his parts would help the task?

Chris 

My copy arrived today.

I enjoyed reading Jim Smith-Wright's exposition of how he made a model of LEV-1. Jim is not afraid to think outside the box - making a 114 from a 110 would never have occurred to me, for example - and cutting up a 142 is perhaps something that many of us would like to do to the real thing!

Chris Leigh's piece on low relief buildings took me back over 50 years [October 1963, I think] to when one of his predecessors on the Constructor did something similar with SuperQuick kits.  When was the last time you saw Bilteezi in a magazine?  Nice one!  What goes around comes around, I suppose, but I really liked the retro feel of this project.

However, I was disappointed with the three-handed feature on Maunsell coaches, not because it identified some candidates for being modelled and gave prototype information but because the approach to modelling them was the hope that Hornby will do it one day.  I expect that I am in a minority of one by wishing that there had been suggestions of how to cut up Hornby Maunsells or use kits to achieve the desired result.  One of the authors is responsible for marketing a range of kits!  I wonder if any of his parts would help the task?

Chris 

Can't help but agree with you regarding the real 142s but I'm thinking the kind of conversion that we both might do would produce something useful, like razor blades! I wonder if the original constructor article was one of mine. I used some Superquick Elizabethan buildings to make a demolition scene. I remember it well, because I got a severe telling off from Geoffrey Freeman Allen on the basis that demolishing Elizabethan buildings would never be allowed. I hastily 'repanelled' the half timbered section to make them less obviously Elizabethan! Bilteezi models were a bit too common in my day, but I've always liked the artwork. I have several old sheets to build including the block of 'modern' flats which, I think, was the first card kit I ever assembled and was on my Hornby-Dublo three-rail layout. 

Regarding the Maunsells, I e-mailed the kit-maker as it seemed a good idea to build one of the restaurant car kits for a future article. I have received no reply to date. It has prompted me to get out my Southern Pride tavern car set with a view to finishing it. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

...Bilteezi models were a bit too common in my day, but I've always liked the artwork...

On my return to the hobby in '05 I was keen to incorporate something, also because of a liking for the artwork.  It's still going to be a while before any more progress but this is my 'so far' modified Goods Receiving Depot:

post-6883-0-19430100-1394530377.jpg

and there will also be a much modified Factory/Dairy close by :paint:

Regards, Gerry 8)

• RMweb Gold

One of the authors is responsible for marketing a range of kits!  I wonder if any of his parts would help the task?

Chris 

Hello Chrisf

Although the three of us wrote the article, the purpose and scope were set by me. We worked to that purpose and scope.

Brian

I thought it was a shame about the MU jumper on 37035 (page 36) and the wonky 'cow catcher' on the 150 (page 42) of the Deesdale Road layout.

Also a slight faux par on the Model of the year page. With the '00 gauge manufacturer of the year'- third place went to RealTrack Models, but shown next to the bronze 3rd place Dapol is shown. Equally, with the winners in the 00 'diesel and electric', 'multiple unit' and 'coaching stock' categories the logo of the wrong winning manufacturers are shown..(!)

Other than these slight niggles I thoroughly enjoyed this months magazine.

• RMweb Gold

I took a look at the flier for Atlas Editions's "Bright Red London Double Decker in Perfect Miniature" flier that was included in the copy of Model Rail that I picked up at my local Sainsbury's today. What on earth is this model supposed to represent and why is it being advertised this way? Apparently it costs just £2 (less one penny), postage is free, and you don't have to buy anything else.

Looking at the rather large pictures of this model, I notice that the opening windows are not represented, the driver's windscreen wiper is missing, the "legal lettering" is missing, and the registration number for the model depicted (RTW 4) is wrong (it is shown as KGK575, whereas it should be KGK504). (These errors do not appear on the old Corgi model in my possession.) Also the form you have to fill in says "[enter] one character per box", which makes entering my address a tad difficult.

Considering this, I think this model is not worth having, and I am still mystified as to why it is advertised by means of a flier in Model Rail.

I took a look at the flier for Atlas Editions's "Bright Red London Double Decker in Perfect Miniature" flier that was included in the copy of Model Rail that I picked up at my local Sainsbury's today. What on earth is this model supposed to represent and why is it being advertised this way? Apparently it costs just £2 (less one penny), postage is free, and you don't have to buy anything else.

Looking at the rather large pictures of this model, I notice that the opening windows are not represented, the driver's windscreen wiper is missing, the "legal lettering" is missing, and the registration number for the model depicted (RTW 4) is wrong (it is shown as KGK575, whereas it should be KGK504). (These errors do not appear on the old Corgi model in my possession.) Also the form you have to fill in says "[enter] one character per box", which makes entering my address a tad difficult.

Considering this, I think this model is not worth having, and I am still mystified as to why it is advertised by means of a flier in Model Rail.

It's not anything to do with Model Rail, it's just an advert. I believe that particular flier - or something similar - has been in lots of mags in the past. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Firstly it is offered for TWO POUNDS only, why complain at that?

Secondly, it is the Corgi/OOC model of a London Transport RTW bus (ie the Leyland version of the much larger class). However, it is somewhat simplified in its construction (cost saving as a loss leader for the promotion of the mag I suspect). However the basic RTW model is as per Corgi. If you are happy with that, (it isn't perfect, but what model is?) then for £2 (I repeat), you SHOULD be happy with this one. If not just don't buy it. Why complain at £2 when the Corgi one cost (from memory) in the region of £25-30? A modeller can easily add the missing details, and probably correct the errors at the same time. Just look at the GBL thread....

Stewart

Firstly it is offered for TWO POUNDS only, why complain at that?

Secondly, it is the Corgi/OOC model of a London Transport RTW bus (ie the Leyland version of the much larger class). However, it is somewhat simplified in its construction (cost saving as a loss leader for the promotion of the mag I suspect). However the basic RTW model is as per Corgi. If you are happy with that, (it isn't perfect, but what model is?) then for £2 (I repeat), you SHOULD be happy with this one. If not just don't buy it. Why complain at £2 when the Corgi one cost (from memory) in the region of £25-30? A modeller can easily add the missing details, and probably correct the errors at the same time. Just look at the GBL thread....

Stewart

Thanks for your support - but It's not a mag promotion its just an advert paid for by an outside firm to sell their product, it's just done as a leaflet rather than an on-the-page advert.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for your support - but It's not a mag promotion its just an advert paid for by an outside firm to sell their product, it's just done as a leaflet rather than an on-the-page advert.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris, just to clarify, I was referring to the mag (or collection of models) on the flyer, not Model Rail.

Stewart

Could I suggest Chris considers increasing the height of a couple of chimney stacks on his row of low relief buildings, those on 'The Kingdom of Cod' and 'The Jamica Inn' ought to be at the height (or close to) the height of the adjoining chimney stacks.

Not sure how I would tackle that. Difficult to modify them in a way that isn't obviously something extra stuck on. I'll be returning to this street scene in due course to do all the lights, signs etc, so maybe I'll figure something out by then. I actually broke one of the chimneys off when I dropped the model but found the broken part several days later and glued it back on. 

More questionable bus wise is page 38 and the early 1970s vehicle on a bridge next to two Central trains units, a good 35ish years time warp. With sites like this http://modelbuszone.co.uk/efe/operators/fleetidx.html such things can easilly be avoided.

The Bus is on its way to a Vintage Vehicle Rally. :O

Is that o.k.? :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy :sungum:

Archived