Australia - Modern Scene

Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

4 48 class alcos on the western mainline in New South Wales with one of the locos blowing smoke rings.

Don't they have laws in Australia to prevent all those awful emissions?

Just don't watch the following from a trip to the Hawkesbury...:

A little bit of trivia. 4473 was unique among the 100 strong 44 class in that the head lights at the No.2 end (the flat end) were horizontal and not vertical like the other 99 members of the class. Unfortunately this is not shown in the video.

A little bit of trivia. 4473 was unique among the 100 strong 44 class in that the head lights at the No.2 end (the flat end) were horizontal and not vertical like the other 99 members of the class. Unfortunately this is not shown in the video.

Two historical photos of 4473 showing the No.2 end.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bs3BIrxdjR8/UEr27UW2t6I/AAAAAAAABFY/NWX9TcxoyO0/s1600/01+4473+-+Don+Jones.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AxURvMKIpJM/UEr3gZfdr7I/AAAAAAAABFg/07dI8FCVhq4/s1600/02+4473+-+Don+Jones.jpg

Cheers

David

Shown here on April 19th this year at Loftus again on the AK cars:

post-14921-0-40265300-1372741963_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm wondering if the headlights on the No.2 end were pinched off a 421 Class...?? 4473 (Mk II) entered service in Sept 1966 and withdrawn from service in 1994. It was restored in 2005 and now owned by the Lachlan Alco Locomotive Group. Another thing, the repainting in original livery was sponsored by Trainorama (Bob's Hobbies, formerly Tom's Hobbies in Sydney), the makers of those quality HO scale NSWGR models... hmmm.

Cheers, Gary.

Pacific National orders genset locomotives

National Railway Equipment Company (NREC), United States, has won a contract to supply seven multi-engine N-ViroMotive locomotives to Pacific National, Australia, for shunting operations operation at the BlueScope steelworks at Port Kembla in New South Wales.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/locomotives/pacific-national-orders-genset-locomotives.html

Apart from the livery it's the same as the QR 3800 class and PN 71 class.

Cheers

David

In the Flickr link from post #259 it looks like it is coupled to an identical loco, presumably the PN 71 variant mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Something different from all the "little" coal trains, a "little" passenger train. The Indian Pacific running via Melbourne combined with the Overland. I believe this was recorded in April but only posted a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ4ckCVe7Qs

And no that's not an optical illusion. Our main lines really are that steep! 1 in 50 is not unusual.

Cheers

David

• Like 3

And no that's not an optical illusion. Our main lines really are that steep! 1 in 50 is not unusual.

I liked the 'whoop-de-do' half-way down the hill. The camera angle exaggerates the slope a bit, but you can see the line of coaches bend over the hummock.

Were there really thirty cars behind the locos?

I counted 32, not counting the two car carriers. Edited by Ozexpatriate

The newest loco in Queensland.

Unusual locomotive, not all that good looking. A little 'shoe-box' looking...

Shoe box is being charitable. It's a brick. "Pavement slab" conveys what I'm thinking but brick is the better relative dimensions.

It looks like a 2x4 LEGO brick without the interesting bumps on top.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

If you want to know why there are as many parted couplers and screwed journals (axle boxes) as there are on our railways take a look at that "little" bump as the train comes down grade!