Australia - Modern Scene

Gwiwer

It is great to see locos like the S Class still operating in heavy conditions, just a pity it isn't on a crack express train. Its also good to see that S303 (CJ La Trobe) wasn't exhausting smoke like X31 & T356 in the video at 10mins, 25secs ! I know the GMs (built by Clyde Engineering, Sydney) used to blow a fair amount of exhaust smoke, but probably not as much as the Alcos...!!  Very unusual for a railway company sharing locomotive classification between steam and deisel, S Class - (both steam and deisel) were originally designed for express passenger duties and the X Class (steam and deisel) were designed for mixed goods...

Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 1

On thing you don't have to contend with when driving a car in the suburbs, but if driving in the country at dawn or dusk in a car it is possible. These Eastern Grey Kangaroo's would be turned to sausage mince by an 81 class co co diesel such as in the video. If you hit an Eastern Grey Kangaroo in a modern car, the car will be a write off and the Kangaroo dead.

• Like 1

In all honesty, most of it was filmed by the offsider (bar one or two bits by me), with me providing photographic support. He does do excellent shooting though.

That being said, I am also head researcher for most of the trips around. Best one has to be Hawkesbury River. On average, a train went through every twenty minutes, compared to the hours we have waited before for stuff...

• Like 1

I love the Hawkesbury for a variety of reasons: plenty of trains, many variations on those trains, beautiful scenery, and great oysters! The riverboat postman is also a lovely trip to do (if it is still around).

Edited by SRman

I love the Hawkesbury for a variety of reasons: plenty of trains, many variations on those trains, beautiful scenery, and great oysters! The riverboat postman is also a lovely trip to do (if it is still around).

I don't know if the postie is still around, but there is an excellent fish and chip shop just half a minute from the station, and looks at the tracks. And of course, fresh fish!

• Like 1

Well, as a lot of people know, on July 1st, Cityrail became Sydney Trains. After a long delay, the new logos have started to appear on rolling stock. Unfortunatealy, I only had the phone, but I will try and take the camera out next week for shots.

The new logos are:

post-14921-0-63375000-1377262477_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-25786500-1377262486_thumb.jpg

And a couple of overall views of the layout. Sets are T18 (currently with T11, both branded), and T106 (with T8, unbranded).

post-14921-0-15594300-1377262495_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-77585900-1377262503_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, as a lot of people know, on July 1st, Cityrail became Sydney Trains. After a long delay, the new logos have started to appear on rolling stock. Unfortunatealy, I only had the phone, but I will try and take the camera out next week for shots.

The new logos are:

attachicon.gifIMAG0202.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0203.jpg

And a couple of overall views of the layout. Sets are T18 (currently with T11, both branded), and T106 (with T8, unbranded).

attachicon.gifIMAG0204.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0205.jpg

But a Tangara is still a Tangara, alas!  I wonder if they will rename Central next - must be the most geographically anonymous large station in the world ;)

Interesting that there was (and may still be) 80 Class locomotives in the old Indian Red livery in 2009/2012-the last class of diesel to wear that livery if my memory serves me.

Not only that, they were still wearing their factory livery. The last of the 80s was built in 1983 and very few of them were painted candy. Most went straight from Indian Red to FreightCorp blue in the 1990s. The reason the last remaining Indian Red 80s still look in such good condition after nearly 30 years without a repaint is the body panels are fibreglass in that colour, not painted steel. You can see the red under the flaking blue paint on 8045.

Cheers

David

• 3 weeks later...

Now, I must admit these aren't mine, but they were taken by a friend on September 1st, and he has given me permission to post them here:

4477, 4461, 4463, 4497 and 4458, previously operated by Qube, are now stored down at Golbourn, pending a desision on their fate

post-14921-0-75875400-1378718077_thumb.jpg

4458, the only remaining Mk1 that isn't preserved, and 4497

post-14921-0-02141200-1378718219_thumb.jpg

4477 Dave Jones with 4461 behind

post-14921-0-09690600-1378718283_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind one sitting in my front yard... Do you know if they were sitting in the museum area or just besides the museum siding ? I know there are some 42 Class and an S class sitting in under the round house, which are privately owned. Hopefully these great locos will be bought up by a private owner and returned to the rails in their original livery.

Cheers, Gary.

I have no idea, but judging by the top photo and cross refrencing with Google, they appear to be stored on the marked siding out the back of Golbourn, next to the mainline (photos were taken from the returning Harden day train). I am planning to visit Golbourn in the next few weeks, so I will update then.

post-14921-0-75624200-1378807544.png

Edited by 69843