• RMweb Gold

Phil, Many thanks for posting the pictures, always good to see and if you have anymore of a Southern flavour please feel free to post, worthy of their own thread perhaps?

Dad's Southern region photos can be seen at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/515657. There are separate albums for other regions and the S&D. ipernity has groups for most UK regions and big four railways. http://southern_railway.group.ipernity.com/ should take you to the Southern Railway group, however it seems to loop back to the RMWeb. If that happens to you try copying the url or see if you can find your way around from the link to my album. Once you have a photo up, you should see the Southern Railway group link over on the right side of the screen, where it shows which album or groups it has been placed in.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

Dad's Southern region photos can be seen at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/515657. There are separate albums for other regions and the S&D. ipernity has groups for most UK regions and big four railways. http://southern_railway.group.ipernity.com/ should take you to the Southern Railway group, however it seems to loop back to the RMWeb. If that happens to you try copying the url or see if you can find your way around from the link to my album. Once you have a photo up, you should see the Southern Railway group link over on the right side of the screen, where it shows which album or groups it has been placed in.

Thanks Phil. The link, and the photos, all worked for me, 

• RMweb Gold

Like the pictures and there's a certain poignancy in the last picture, as it shows D6502 which had to be withdrawn the following year (1964) when it was damaged beyond repair.

Thanks for your appreciation of Dad's photos. I seem to remember that someone commented on D6502's impending demise when I had all Dad's railway photos on Flickr.

• 3 months later...

To drag up an old thread, but it may interest some to know that the T9 will be heading back to Swanage Railway tomorrow, on long-term loan until October to fill in for 6695.

Regards,

Matt

The Southerner. Thank you for the information about the T9. I have commissioned a local artist to paint a picture of a T9 crossing Corfe Viaduct in LSWR days and she will be pleased to be able to make some sketches of it on the Swanage Railway. I am hoping that the Swanage Railway will sell some greetings cards based on the picture.

post-17621-0-62819000-1433924827_thumb.jpg

Arrived just in time to film 30120 arriving at Norden.

Apologies for shaky footage, my Hay-Fever was running rife:

Regards,
Matt

• 1 month later...

The Union Mills N gauge T9 is a wide cab with 6 wheel tender, I wanted a narrow cab and watercart, so I milled a few thou off each side of the cab and splashers, cut some plastic for coupling rod splashers, and replaced the UM tender with one from a Langley S15 kit on a Fleischmann 7161 chassis

DrummondT9.jpg

I need to redo the lining, I've now got some transfers to redo parts of it, the above was done by hand with a Rotring pen, when you get past 80 the hands are not as steady as they used to be.

Continuing my habit of not being satisfied with RTR in out of the box condition, I now hacking a new Farish N into an N1.

Edited by Dorsetmike

• 2 months later...

The T9 was in service when I visited on the 4th of October, working 'The Dorsetman' dining service. Here she is awaiting departure from Swanage:

post-20657-0-38746400-1444491725_thumb.jpg

Regards,
Matt

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

The first 10 that went to South Eastern service were all allocated to Stew Lane. 300/1/4/7/10-14/36. 300/4 later went to B Arms. All were wide-cab.

The Brighton allocation was 281/2, 303, 704/26/9, all narrow cab except 303.

The Brighton locos seem to in many cases have been subsequently allocated to Stew Lane, but apart from the two locos that went to B Arms none seems to have been allocated elsewhere on the Central or South Eastern. 

The first T9 to receive superheating was 314, completed in April 1922, and 5 more were completed before Grouping.