The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

Back to late winter here today. Yesterday was sunshine, shorts and t shirt, lunch outdoors listening to the birds all shouting away, Brimstone, Peacock and Speckled wood butterflies flying about. Could almost watch the hornbeams coming into leaf, they started the day with bare twigs, ended covered in a fuzz of pale yellow-green. Put new protective feet on the aluminium garden furniture using some parts from a Texan manufacturer that 'really work' according to a US based cousin.  I can definitely use some more of that sunshine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On the same date as last year, first of seasons' sighting, one Small Tortoiseshell in Helston. Summer is here !

Snap.

First small tortoiseshell in Northumberland this year in the garden at lunchtime.

Plus my small pond is very full of frogspawn, a few days ago there were at least ten frogs in the pond.

David

• Like 1

Don't know a thing about butterflies, but one was flying around my garden in Ayrshire not long after the frost had melted this morning.  The wings were brown with orange patches, or it may have been the other way round.  Perhaps someone might know.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a tortoiseshell Duncan

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=urticae

Saw my first one this year today too - at Croome in Worcestershire , along with a male brimstone, another one of which was in the garden in Churchdown earlier today. Spring is here for sure!

Phil

Do keep us informed about the size those Buddleias want to grow to! Whatever the opinion of the supplying nursery, I don't think there has been much success in curtailing Buddleia's world domination tendencies. At least it takes no harm from brutal pruning to keep it in bounds.

Well the Buddliea Buzz's have survived the winter and are now putting on some new growth. Which is a miracle considering how badly I tend to treat plants that I've bought for the garden!!! 

I can't put them into the large pots I was hoping as these are full of soil that I've dug out of the back garden for the raised flower bed & wildlife pond that I'm building. So what I'll do is leave them in the small pots for the moment and re-pot them later in the year...probably early autumn time in bigger slightly bigger pots with fresh compost to give them chance to get bigger before I put them into the large pots that I plan to use for them.

post-5014-0-91050900-1490524917_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mine get a regular chop back to 1 -2 feet every Feb to keep them under control, compact but bushy not spindly and plenty of flowers from mid jly to late sep, dead heading to give more flowers. Still manage to seed well - got four more to "release" soon... !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Buddliea Buzz's got a trim here too

And went out for a stroll this afternoon around Westbury Court gardens....no butterflies but these are fritillaries and just as beautiful....

post-7138-0-16177300-1490558156_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 5

Buddliea Buzz's got a trim here too

And went out for a stroll this afternoon around Westbury Court gardens....no butterflies but these are fritillaries and just as beautiful....

attachicon.gifWestbury Court fritillaries.jpg

Phil

I saw some of these for sale at my local Waitrose (other supermarkets are available of course) But as is Waitrose, too expensive...and the problem of spending far too much money at the London Fest show this weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Picked some up at B&Q a couple of weeks ago ....have tried them in the garden before but they are a bit fussy and I have never got them to establish

Unlike the hellebores which have gone great guns this year....

Phil

A warm morning and bright sunshine - you have to get out there. A walk down to Eastleigh Lakeside and I saw a comma - vanished before I could photograph it - a couple of jousting butterflies - possibly speckled woods - and then, perched on some hawthorn blossom this rather battered looking specimen....

DSC_6925-1%20600%20x%20532_zpsi4tdqmi2.j

Small tortoiseshell numbers were significantly down last year, let's hope they bounce back.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

Picked some (fritillaries) up at B&Q a couple of weeks ago ....have tried them in the garden before but they are a bit fussy and I have never got them to establish...

My wife is the gardener. She gathered seed from those in our previous garden (and from many other plants of course), and slung it round all the locations where they would be desireable in our current garden. The fritillaries 'took' and are thoroughly established in two places, and are going a storm this year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My wife is the gardener. She gathered seed from those in our previous garden (and from many other plants of course), and slung it round all the locations where they would be desireable in our current garden. The fritillaries 'took' and are thoroughly established in two places, and are going a storm this year.

Butterflies were out in force at my local nature reserve yesterday (Sunday) :).  See my other (non-railway) blog for more information.

Mike

Great to hear that the fritillaries have worked - have grown some from seeds in pots but never succeeded in naturalizing. Shall plant out this years bulbs once the flowers die and hope for next year....

And thanks for the butterfly forum link Mike - had not seen that one before!

Kind regards

Phil

Guessing that's an overwintered specimen Chaz

Your photos are always superb

Phil

Oh, I think that's pretty certain Phil, and it would account for the tatty state.

Thanks for the comment (Nikon had my new 300mm lens on the front - it's a bit good!)*

Chaz

*PS - posted snap robbed of its sharpness by the need to compress it - the original RAW file is rather better.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

Very warm this afternoon although the sun was hiding most of the time.

I did my usual beat south along the Itchen. Chiffchaffs, wrens, long-tailed tits, blackcaps and dunnocks all singing. Also saw a couple of small tortoiseshells, a very dark job that flew over my head - probably a peacock and three brimstones one of which obliged me by perching for a while.

DSC_6942-1%20600%20x%20433_zpsvbhqfddh.j

Even with my 300mm lens this image is a hefty crop.

DSC_6939-1%20600%20x%20443_zpsocwctvav.j

I waited about twenty minutes hoping it would fly lower so that I could get closer but it stayed put.

Transects start next week - fingers crossed for some warm sunny conditions.

Chaz

• Like 3