The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

Seems like a really good year for Butterflies here, I've seen so many in my garden and way more Red Admirals than last year. 

The Hummingbird Hawk Moth has been back, tried to get a photo but it is so fast! 

P1240143(4).JPG.778904086c01487bd596ecc273664c21.JPG

P1240146.JPG.591970d4b6ff4bac4662a3d1e41c5523.JPG

Tried all sorts of settings, need a better camera I think! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Posting this laughable image as it just about shows a White-letter Hairsstreak that was pointed out to me this morning by the delighted couple right in front of whom it had chosen to settle.  It is regular but scarce and difficult to see at this site.

Haha_Hairstreak_20230726.jpg.jpg.3b019189fc33fd2c94bc6c4f83a39844.jpg

• Like 3

Must be a good year for Butterflies here, never seen so many in my garden as I did this morning, well over double figures of Red Admirals and Gatekeepers, a few Whites and a Comma and Peacock and a bit later the first Painted Lady of the year. 

I also managed to finally get a photo of this fine Hummingbird Hawk Moth, took over 100 trying to snap it! 

P1240221_2jpg.jpg.04c2d71510be119c8501c0f2da932e4b.jpg

P1240231_2jpg.jpg.fe7e4da675d1638619e16b56bb655993.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have been trying to get a holly blue photo all year … there’s lots about , a much better summer for butterflies… moths too given the state of my car after a fishing trip!

Cracked the Holly blue on Saturday at Dunster … a meadow brown too . Just before I took the photo there were two Holly blues in the frame…

16ACBD56-782A-4E8B-A294-4D2A32B9CAD5.jpeg.2603e6f3468dd7623e1ed0dd88cbad21.jpeg

9F1C203A-AFA3-471D-819A-8CB16805823F.jpeg.abe228d073a7122d2324940e28a36bea.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've had a good year for butterflies here, as it seems everyone has: UK butterfly numbers at highest level since 2019.  One highlight for me was a comma landing on my arm when we were out walking in Roslin Glen.  Apparently they've only recently started to recolonise southern Scotland after recovering from a population crash in the mid-1800s which saw it pretty much confined to the Welsh border counties.

On 26/07/2023 at 13:47, tigerburnie said:

We have very few butterflies, it is spooky, several buddleia's in flower and just bees and the odd Red Admiral or Tortoiseshell.

We do have one buddleia, in fact we've had it for years, but we never see butterflies on it.  The only lepidopteran we've ever seen feeding from it was this year and it wasn't a butterfly, it was a hummingbird hawk moth.  Which was nice, since we've not seen one in our garden before.  Fortunately the butterflies seem quite happy with the other nectar-bearing plants we have.

I spotted a Silver Y moth the other day on my way to the bus stop.  I can't remember the last time I saw one of those here so that was nice, too.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

We've had a good year for butterflies here, as it seems everyone has: UK butterfly numbers at highest level since 2019.  One highlight for me was a comma landing on my arm when we were out walking in Roslin Glen.  Apparently they've only recently started to recolonise southern Scotland after recovering from a population crash in the mid-1800s which saw it pretty much confined to the Welsh border counties.

We do have one buddleia, in fact we've had it for years, but we never see butterflies on it.  The only lepidopteran we've ever seen feeding from it was this year and it wasn't a butterfly, it was a hummingbird hawk moth.  Which was nice, since we've not seen one in our garden before.  Fortunately the butterflies seem quite happy with the other nectar-bearing plants we have.

I spotted a Silver Y moth the other day on my way to the bus stop.  I can't remember the last time I saw one of those here so that was nice, too.

Commas are very territorial…. They will always choose the best perch in their territory and if that happens to be a human then so be it. Had one do the same in our garden….,

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

First Brimstone of the year!  Always a sign of spring, though I had to persuade the puppy not  to chase it.

Was just going to post exactly the same! Saw a female road side driving home from Usk this morning 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Working out on drive on layout has its advantages …. Buzzed yesterday by a male brimstone and a tortoiseshell in addition to the more literal bumble bees.

Overwintering peacock had left the garden shed too, hopefully to produce a new year’s generation. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

A solitary Peacock so far this year.  Too many cold breezes perhaps.

Peacock Butterfly 16 3 2024.jpg

As beautiful as ever… 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was delighted to see a brimstone flying alongside the train on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway on Sunday. It's the first time I've seen one since moving to Cumberland, which is right at the northern edge of their range.

Apart from that, all I've seen this year are a few orange and brown things too far away to positively identify, but I think were small tortoiseshells.

• Like 1

No butterflies in my garden in west Manchester yet, but I have seen my first pipistrelle of the season a couple of days ago, and there are tens of thousands of tadpoles in my pond, so spring has sprung and hopefully the butterflies (and dragonflies) will be along soon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On Sunday I saw a small tortoiseshell flying around my garden, it landed on several flowers before moving next door.  I often see them from late March onwards on fine days.

David

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...