The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

While walking with Gus the gundog past the kestrel box one of the kestrels was keeping guard as they have been for the last couple of weeks, I saw two strange looking birds in the tree. A pair of mallards. Last year they did nest in a hollow of a near by oak tree.

attachicon.gif042a.jpg

What's all that green behind the trunk? Oh, I remember, leaves. We will be at 0 today with flurries but up to a sultry 8 by mid week- and then sliding down again. Frost depth has been estimated at 2m. Now you know why we have basements..

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Odds on that's a male Brimstone

Easy to distinguish by its lovely yellow colour and rather angular wings. Often one of the first sightings of the year.

http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk/species-info.asp?vernacular=Brimstone

Says it lurks along hedgerows looking for a female.....!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=brimstone+butterfly&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=02D69078E626153B3D30C1F45116351090F931B9&selectedIndex=32

Is a super chap!

Two lovely newly hatched tortoiseshells in Sandford Park in Cheltenham today but they wouldn't pose for a photo.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can I lay claim to the first RMweb Orange tip sighting of 2015? Spotted whilst leaving work, the John Bull building at Derriford, Plymouth this afternoon. Sorry no photos - caught just a fleeting glance, but Orange tip it certainly was.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can I lay claim to the first RMweb Orange tip sighting of 2015? Spotted whilst leaving work, the John Bull building at Derriford, Plymouth this afternoon. Sorry no photos - caught just a fleeting glance, but Orange tip it certainly was.

Neil

Ah sorry Neil - saw one flutter by yesterday lunch time in Sandford Park Cheltenham

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A freshly hatched and beautiful Orange tip paid a visit to my garden flowers earlier this evening to feed. A desperate lunge with my iPad camera in hand frightened it away, so alas no photographic evidence to present here.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was it the first blue of the year in Cheltenham today?

Most likely a Holly Blue at this time of year but never kept still long enough for accurate identification.

Phil

Had a pair of Holly blues on the currant bushes this very day, seen while inspecting for any parachuting caterpillars from the oaks; also the first Speckled wood seen this year, being its usual crepuscular self and not advancing far from the Hornbeam where I first saw it. Also found an oak seedling a good two feet tall hidden in the whitecurrant bush. How it got that large before I saw it rather beggars belief; likewise the effort it took to dislodge it from the soil...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was it the first blue of the year in Cheltenham today?Most likely a Holly Blue at this time of year but never kept still long enough for accurate identification.Phil

Sorry Phil, saw a Holly blue in my back garden here in Devon Monday night

Phil 1 Neil 1 ;)

Was it the first blue of the year in Cheltenham today?

Most likely a Holly Blue at this time of year but never kept still long enough for accurate identification.

Phil

Had a holly blue in our garden, enjoying the sunshine, while I was eating my lunch. It was close to the kitchen windows but had moved on before I could get a camera.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Pleasant lunchtime stroll in Sandford Park today watching the trout in the river feeding on the surface. Then a long tailed tit was flitting around in an oak tree but typically wouldnt keep still long enough to pose for a photo

Lucky to have such habitat 5 mins walk from work

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Golly, a warm sunny day! :sungum:

So off I went to Magdalen Hill Reserve (near Winchester). Plenty of brimstones, holly blues, green-veined whites and grizzled skippers. Small numbers of orange tips were also seen, but as they were males hunting for females they had no time to stop and pose for a portrait    :no:  .

First a grizzled skipper...

DSC_3911-2%20800%20x%20573_zpsygenv5ic.j

...and two holly blues....

DSC_3927-2%20800%20x%20670_zps7l9gg4y4.j

DSC_3922-2%20800%20x%20591_zpsremb4ro6.j

I also glimpsed a dingy skipper (at least I think it was) but too briefly to get a photo. Let's hope for some more sunny butterfly days soon....

Chaz

• Like 6

Wonderful Chaz - many thanks for sharing

Never seen a Grizzled Skipper

Phil

Thanks. I was particularly pleased to get some good snaps of holly blues.

"Never seen a Grizzled Skipper" Nor had I, but was lucky enough to see half a dozen today. Devilishly difficult to photograph though - restless and tiny - the smallest of the skippers.

Chaz

Smaller blighters?......

A return trip to Magdalen Hill reserve yesterday and  the most numerous butterfly species (possibly outnumbering the brimstones) was the brown argus.

DSC_3939-2%20747%20x%20800_zps4dxuarrz.j

Being fresh and new they looked quite perfect and a must to photograph - even if they are tiny!

DSC_3943-2%20800%20x%20638_zpstk83tnjr.j

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 5