The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

New-born lambs are appearing in the field just up the road from us, and I have seen the first baby bunny of the season!

Talking of butterflies - is this a Red Admiral? I am no expert, but would be interested to know what this is. Taken last summer...

post-6831-0-79608800-1396097739.jpg

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Heres a useful site if unsure

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=atalanta

Its the blues and skippers that cause me problems

But why red admiral? Nothing to do with the Russian Navy... IIHIC it started out as Red Admirable and got corrupted

Think the original name rather fits...

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In Devon this Easter weekend - some walks the last few days in glorious sunshine.

Orange tips out yesterday, saw four separate insects in about 30 minutes.

Always a sign that summer has arrived- one of my favourite butterflies.

post-6925-0-62413600-1397769155_thumb.jpg

lovely!

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great - newly hatched pristine male

Seem to be more brimstones around this year than I have seen for a good while - surprising given that survival rates of all species could have suffered after a wet winter, fungal invasion of the pupae is their worst enemy

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No Brimstones spotted yet - but also plenty of female orange tips (well without orange tips!) less photogenic.

Will be out tomorrow with camera spotting birds and butterflies in the South Devon hedgerows.

Neil

Looking up the Red Admiral in my "Blandford mini-guide - Butterflies", I see that: "The Red Admiral ... sucks up the fermenting juices of birch trees in which the sap is flowing. It can become so drunk that it can be taken by hand." Do any other butterflies do this, or is the R. Admiral the sole P-artist of the lepidopteral world?

Sping has really spung! Saw my first orange tips of the season yesterday - although they could be forgiven for giving it a miss - such a cold wind off the North Sea.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

This monster was on top of our fridge on 21 March. Didn't seem like it was going anywhere so I went and got the tripod and the long lens with a macro ability. 20 or so shots later, this was the best of the bunch. 

post-6971-0-30986200-1397811870.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

better shots of the Orange tips a couple of days ago.

Managed some close up shots with the aid of a telephoto.

also saw fresh hatched peacocks and a few small tortoiseshells, and a solitary Brimstone Phil!

post-6925-0-95684400-1398007233.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Smashing Neil

Many thanks

For anyone who wants to mix butterflies and railways the buddleia bushes outside the Engine House were swarming with vanessids last year - including fritillaries which I didn't get identified - I suspect silver washed, now they would be worth a shot or two!

Phil

• 1 month later...

Bird watching yesterday at a few sites on Anglesey - saw lots of walls (Lasiommata megera). However failed to get a single snap - a warm sunny day kept them very active and I found that they can fly faster than I can run.....

Chaz

105 Fahrenheit here on the California Central Coast last week. Today's high will only be low 60's. Normally we only get onto the 80's this time of year, so the weather is a little bit unusual and breaking records. The marine layer mist keeps things cool most of the morning until it burns off. Then the afternoons warm up.

Means we have to take more precautions about track and baseboard expansion, than in the UK.

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Deffo Summer now not spring!

Went out in garden with SWMBO the other evening - noticed this chap flying around looking for somewhere to perch so stood still with hand out for a few minutes - it didn't take him long to find me....

post-7138-0-39823400-1405634370.jpg

Sat there for 5 minutes and did not want to move! A special few minutes....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Deffo Summer now not spring!

Went out in garden with SWMBO the other evening - noticed this chap flying around looking for somewhere to perch so stood still with hand out for a few minutes - it didn't take him long to find me....

attachicon.gifcomma.JPG

Sat there for 5 minutes and did not want to move! A special few minutes....

Phil

Was your perched comma taking moisture from your hand?

High summer at Magdalen Hill reserve near Winchester produced a brown argus on my last visit....

DSC_2234-2494x600_zps99af31d1.jpg

Tricky blighters to snap as, like all the blues, they are so small.

Chaz

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely need to change the topic title to "late summer is sprung....."

DSC_2941-2700x542_zps73a844c9.jpg

Visited Martin Down on the Hampshire/Dorset border to find adonis blues and got a few snaps of this little jewel.

We saw several of this beautiful animal flitting about - quite unmistakeable in the sunlight - They really are this blue :sungum:

Edited by chaz
  • Like 6

Now that's a butterfly! Super photo thanks for sharing

Phil

Yes indeed!   The first pictures I got of the adonis were like this one....

DSC_2928-2700x572_zps588851c8.jpg

I knew it was a blue but wasn't sure which species (common blue was a possiblity), then the sun came out and it opened its wings to reveal that superb colour. Definitely worth an hour's drive across Hampshire to see!

Chaz

• Like 1

I put this on ERs before I noticed this thread:

attachicon.gifLgeTortoiseshellAAB.jpg

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but I'm sure this is not a large tortoiseshell - these are generally accepted to be extinct as British breeders and are therefore very, very rare. Your picture is of a painted lady - itself a beautiful insect - and its upperwing looks like this...

DSC_2854-2700x480_zps3d89ad51.jpg

Yours is a nice photo though, I waited quite a while but couldn't get a shot of the beautiful underwing. My snap was taken last Friday at Magdalen Hill reserve nr Winchester.

Chaz

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but I'm sure this is not a large tortoiseshell - these are generally accepted to be extinct as British breeders and are therefore very, very rare. Your picture is of a painted lady - itself a beautiful insect - and its upperwing looks like this...

DSC_2854-2700x480_zps3d89ad51.jpg

Yours is a nice photo though, I waited quite a while but couldn't get a shot of the beautiful underwing. My snap was taken last Friday at Magdalen Hill reserve nr Winchester.

Chaz

Quite right.

Ditto on the "didn't see this thread"...

Summer here and it's time for the thrid cycle of Monarchs to develop. THis is the penultimate cycle, they will live about 6 weeks, lay eggs and die.

The FINAL cycle, from their eggs, will be the migrating group, taking the several thousand mile trek from the upper-midwest to Mexico...

The Mrs found a couple of the caterpillars on our milkweed plants (favourite of Monarchs) and we watched their development. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of one with wings spread, but here is one resting whilst drying its wings after emerging, and a frame-capture from the video of the release (sorry about the poor quality).

post-20244-0-55669200-1408458992_thumb.jpg

post-20244-0-96807400-1408458990_thumb.jpg

• Like 3