The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Rich, outside or inside?

There is a Red Admiral that appears to 'live' in our Church! It appears every so often when it is warm enough. Presumably it feeds from flowers around the building? 

I also wonder if it is the same butterfly or an offspring every so often? I don't know enough about them to know this.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

You know, I'd never noticed 'Sping'. I believe that is called 'redundancy' when reading?

The 'other' Phil!

By the way Rich, does 'in the wing' mean you are in Prison then?

Ha, ha! Phil.

Edited by Mallard60022

...There is a Red Admiral that appears to 'live' in our Church! It appears every so often when it is warm enough. Presumably it feeds from flowers around the building? 

I also wonder if it is the same butterfly or an offspring every so often?...

The overwintering butterflies are the last hatch of the summer, and will promptly die in the spring once thay have mated and got the next generation started. That was the explanation I had from a most eminent lady entomologist anyway; but that must be twenty years ago when I attended a 'do' at the Royal entomological Socs HQ in Snorbens, and we all know how fast scientific thinking moves on nowadays.

• RMweb Gold

You know, I'd never noticed 'Sping'. I believe that is called 'redundancy' when reading?

The 'other' Phil!

By the way Rich, does 'in the wing' mean you are in Prison then?

Ha, ha! Phil.

Oops, no - redundant 'in' - meant to be 'on the wing...' ;)

A case of 'hoist by one's own petard' I feel! :P

• RMweb Gold

Whilst we're waiting for the insects to arrive (whilst appreciating Rich's hibernatory Red Admiral (or Admirable as originally named).

Here's some photos from the last two years of the magnificent insects around my cottage - all photos taken within a 3 mile radius of the Hamlet of Dunstone, South Devon.

First the Hamlet, my cottage is the right hand thatched one.

post-6925-0-06080400-1423913508_thumb.jpg

Second two magnificent dragonflies, golden ringed and Southern Hawker respectively

post-6925-0-29407400-1423913532_thumb.jpgpost-6925-0-19698500-1423913560_thumb.jpg

Next a small copper

post-6925-0-55201500-1423913584_thumb.jpg

Large Wall

post-6925-0-43273900-1423913604_thumb.jpg

Comma

post-6925-0-45365400-1423913627_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful shots NeilPhil

Difficult to get Phil! F11 at least to get depth of field, and not the most cooperative of subjects, some slighly out of focus, need to set camera to manual and high f-number this year!

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Know what you mean Neil - perfect shots are rare but the subject matter and the outcome justifies the patience required.

Havent achieved much with anything other than the conspicuous vanessids myself

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The Southern Hawker in particular I'm pleased with - I chased it about a quarter of a mile down a country track and eventually it got tired and rested for 30 seconds! Panic always ensues when a dragonfly appears, camera out set up etc, but worth the effort.

Neil

• Like 1

Count yourself lucky guys. It’s snowing right now and tomorrow will be the coldest day for 20 years plus 60 mph winds.....

Best, Pete.

You too, eh? we're expecting a high of -19C tomorrow with a low of -29C, and that's not including wind chill.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Sympathies with you folks over the western seas, we've not dropped below -5C this winter (so far, not over yet!)

Our son went to a birthday party yesterday, instead of the usual goodie bag he came home with a box of "wild flower butterfly & bee mix" seeds which seems unusual but much more responsible than a load of E numbers! Looking forward to scattering them around next month & see(d)ing if they work....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

While walking with Gus the gundog past the kestrel box one of the kestrels was keeping guard as they have been for the last couple of weeks, I saw two strange looking birds in the tree. A pair of mallards. Last year they did nest in a hollow of a near by oak tree.

post-16423-0-78845700-1425732124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1