RMweb

Spitfire's Workbench - On3 Obsession

You never know I might make being an engineer yet :)

Awesome :) The cast in grain detail you have picked out really does make a difference to the overall inside of the wagon. Are you planning a load for it?

You never know I might make being an engineer yet :)

Awesome :) The cast in grain detail you have picked out really does make a difference to the overall inside of the wagon. Are you planning a load for it?

I am not planning a load, but I am planning to fabricate a cloth tarpaulin to maybe display half uncovered. But finding infomation about LNW tarps is hard, and I cant seem to find many photos of wagons with them on.

I have one source, being http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/9-loads/9-tarps.htm

But no good photos

Edited by Spitfire2865

I think Mark is right and its in Volume 2 I believe

The other two sources that would spring to mind would be LNWR Liveries or Jack Nelson LNWR Portrayed. I will try and have a look tonight

I cant see anything on the Webb site, nor on Zenfolio, but you could email the LNWR Society Webb Master and see if he has any photos of wagons with tarps he could put onto Zenfolio

Dave

Neither, whoever set up the L&NWR Society Web site decided to call it the Webb Site in honour of one of he LNWR's most famous Locomotive Engineers,  F W Webb.

If you go on the home page, left hand menu block, Webb Site

Neither, whoever set up the L&NWR Society Web site decided to call it the Webb Site in honour of one of he LNWR's most famous Locomotive Engineers,  F W Webb.

If you go on the home page, left hand menu block, Webb Site

So it is. Ive been on the site so many times and yet have never noticed.
  • Like 1

Well. Since the last update, its gone from being a wagon body to a wagon.

Axleguards were epoxied into place using the included wheelbase jig. Unfortunately, the second use for the jig, positioning the v hangers, didnt work very well. Oh well.

A lot of measuring finding the dead center of the wagon, and the offsets required for the pin holes, and its all drilled and pinned loosely. Still need to prime and paint them, but I cant fit the brakes until I work out how I will do the center cam as well as attaching the lever.

Whitemetal just doesnt seem like a hard wearing material for something which will experience torque.

Considering replacing bits of it with brass and hoping for the best.

Until then, enjoy a quick snap of the wagon sitting on its own wheels.

post-21863-0-02641600-1463624325_thumb.jpg

still need to saw off the bolt ends...

• Like 5

In LNWR Journal Volume 5 number 5 there is a 5 page article on wagon sheets and ropes by Peter Ellis which has 5 images of wagons with tarps on the wagons.

If you want a copy of the above Journal I have some for £1 each plus the postage to USA, send me a pm

Dave

That is just looking gorgeous :)

How much and how often do you expect the whitemetal to experience torque? If its not very often then is it up to the job.....

The central cam is whitemetal, as is the pin that holds the brake lever on.

I think I can get away with the cam, but I definitely would prefer to replace the pin with brass or something stronger.

But where to buy 2mm square brass rod?

Superglue? You mean you're not making the brakes work?

No the brakes DO work. Its held together with brass rivets. To keep them on Ive glued little plastic donuts to the ends of them. I Can remove them if needed, but they will stay put on their own.

Actually, the plastic donuts are parts for 4mm plastic wagon buffers

As I have a soft spot for useless but realistic details, Ive cut off the cast pins for the drop doors, and fitted chain secured pins to the sides.

post-21863-0-41216900-1464133864_thumb.jpg

Ive also got the door spring on and painted. Just have to line up a striker plate for the door.

And Ive bent up the brake levers.

post-21863-0-54320200-1464133873_thumb.jpg

Im enjoying this build very much. The brake gear is certainly fiddly, but Im working it out slowly, making sure everything works before I secure it all for good.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Not much modelling as of late, but much planning.

What am I planning? A scratchbuilt Gauge 3 L&Y Diagram 3 van built from scale timber, and actually bolted together with approximately 500 bolts.

I have placed the order for the wood, trying to order the fittings, and working out what I need to buy for the underframe.

This is going to hurt my wallet...a lot.

• Like 2