Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sheffield (Midlands Station Layout)

Sheffield Midlands

Having recently moved house and discovered that I have a monster sized loft, I got the sketch pad out and began drawing out potential projects. Having modelled the steam era in the past, I felt firmly set that on this occasion I would like to model the present day railways. With so many liveries, locos and the beauty of being able to replicate pretty much anything because I can see it live (rather than rely on old photos). That doesn't mean to say that a few of my steam loco's will be entirely redundant - plenty of Steam Specials traverse UK railways still :)

The space available to me is 3.6m x 7.5m (10ft x 25ft in old money) and that could be doubled in length in the future although significant changes to plumbing and water tanks would be required!

So my wish list:

4 track mainline (ECML perhaps)

Continuous run or timetable operation

Mainline location with full length HSTs etc in operation

Handbuilt turnouts for smooth track

Portable to allow for potential exhibitions in the future

Mainline station comprising 2 4 track roads (city)

Countryside section (incorporating a viaduct)

Prototype location

DCC computer control incorporating both an arrivals & departures board and Signal Box diagram on a plasma tv

Train location (just like the prototype

Slow action point motors

I have built a couple of layouts in the past, each one becoming doomed by either moving house - hence the need for this one to be fully portable.

Having played with a few sketches, I ended up with something that was ringing the bells of familiarity in my head. I relaised I had come up with something not a million miles away from Sheffield Station. A good study of it on Google Earth confirmed that the plan would work and with tunnel portals at each end, I would have the perfect scenic breaks too. The space available is also unlikely to require too much compression which will allow for the amazing sweeping curves through various pointwork - particularly at the "pretty" North end.

853544_15c3046e.jpg

Having played with AnyRail and got the track plan arranged, it was clear that the use of proprietary track from Peco was giving me a lot of restrictions and simply wouldn't do my plans justice. At the time Peterborough North appeared in the BRM and the beautiful trackwork by Norman Saunders of Just-Tracks. Templot was downloaded and many hours were spent trying to suss it out before finally deciding to consult help!

More detail to follow!

• Like 6

I will watch this with interest. I'm not a Midland man, nor am I particularly interested in modern image, but I do live in Sheffield and have thought that it would make a great model, especially as it is today. There are so many TOCs, each providing at least a couple of different types of train and many of these are available.

Are you going to include the weary looking 23 year old running from the tram stop down to platform 5 so as to not miss his train to London on a Friday afternoon?

• Like 1

This is gonna be a good un'!

Sheffield is one of the very few stations I know very well as I used to work there in late 2008/early 2009.

I look forward to seeing more progress of your model of a great station.

Sam

• Like 1

It's going to be in OO gauge and as the plans near completion is building very fast. I haven't decided whether the tram line will be included but I'm hoping to include a fairly extensive car system on the layout too.

Stock wise I have plenty of Northern DMUs (158s, 142s, 144), HSTs (full length) in XC and East Mids livery and a whole host of other relevant stock.

Just in the process of filling the SLR up with as many pictures as possible of the trackwork, sleepers, signals and so on. With the size available to me, it won't be far off scale full size and fully transportable too :)

Edited by Sheffield Midlands

Are you going to include the weary looking 23 year old running from the tram stop down to platform 5 so as to not miss his train to London on a Friday afternoon?

I will see what I can do :) Sheffield is also the crossroads it would seem of my life. Being a Cornishman that went to University in Reading, moved to Hull and now still in Yorkshire, I have traversed the Sheffield platforms and tracks on many an occasion.

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

I live just up the track in Barnsley and think its a great idea .i was just looking through a book I got recently on Sheffield and thought if the space was available it would make a great model .

Will be watching with interest .

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pics :)

Will be having all the sidings on my layout. Is there a carriage washing plant there too?

Don't think so - only a servicing shed.

post-408-0-76611100-1394845392_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The carraige washing plant is / was beyond the tunnel at the south end of the station*........Its been OOU for ever cos there was some concern about the run off  from it polluting the River Sheaf that flows directly under the station (or occasionally through the station!)

Worried about extra pollution in Sheff? :banghead:

Cheers,

Mick

All those Millstone-Grit retaining walls to model...fantastic. My hometown Station, so look forward to seeing it progress. If I remember, the stabling area/ servicing shed that is there now( pictured above), at the south end, used to be a Motor- Rail terminal in the 70's.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is definitely going on my favorite list. Half of my family are either from, or now live in Sheffield, and I've spent a lot of time there in the past. Of course coming from near Skegness, we used to see a lot of summer trains from Sheffield as well.

• Like 1

Just for a bit of fun I thought I'd see if I could have a go at the north approach with RTL track - mainly Peco Code 75 with a couple of Shinohara points and their double slip. I don't think it's come out too badly

post-18315-0-69516200-1394902122_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just for a bit of fun I thought I'd see if I could have a go at the north approach with RTL track - mainly Peco Code 75 with a couple of Shinohara points and their double slip. I don't think it's come out too badly

Great effort but wait until you see it in hand built finescale with lovely fluid, flowing curves and angles with correct sized and spaced weathered concrete sleepers with the correct chairs etc :sungum:  :locomotive:   :)

• Like 1

Just in the process of planning out a baseboard arrangement for my new layout using the plywood crossmember/open frame format but I am using multiple boards bolted side by side as well as end on end. Has anyone experience of arranging baseboards in the fashion in the picture/scribble below?

Normally I would keep them all level but arranging them in a sort of brick formation appeals for strength, alignment etc.

post-22273-0-77538900-1394932526.png

• RMweb Gold

I assume that you know that a club (based in Sheffield I think) made a model of Midland Station in the late 1960s (IIRC). Featured in RM.

I think they used Formoway track as it had more types of points than Streamline at the time.

I assume that you know that a club (based in Sheffield I think) made a model of Midland Station in the late 1960s (IIRC). Featured in RM.

I think they used Formoway track as it had more types of points than Streamline at the time.

Hi Joseph, I wasn't aware of that particular model - I will have to have a look for the article. The difference with mine is that it will be set as it is now, completely to scale with full size platforms/points etc.

My only limitation at present is with rolling stock - the Cl185s of Transpennine and Cl222 of East Mids aren't very readily available!