The italian way

DAtrains

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Silvio,

A lovely layout.  My father is Sicilian and I spent many happy hours on the beach in our hometown, Taormina, watching the trains go by in the 1970s and 1980s.  Come to think of it, I still do when we go to visit in the summer!

One day I would like to build a small layout based on those memories, but I am an N gauge modeller and Italian stock of the period seems hard to find.

Can you please tell me how you did the platform surface on your metro station above?  It's very nice.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello Ben, the support of the platform is built by cardboard and the surface is a texture computer-made based on the real, printed on common paper and glued on the support by a layer of Spray-Mount 3M.

Bye!

Silvio

• 11 months later...

One day I would like to build a small layout based on those memories, but I am an N gauge modeller and Italian stock of the period seems hard to find.

Just stumbled across this thread and like many others I'm very impressed with your work Silvio! 

My family comes from Northern Italy and I'm not the first to have been inspired by the coast line that runs from Ventigmiglia to Genova, a trip we made regularly for family holidays in Sanremo after flying into Nice. 

For modelling I'm committed to N gauge and, like Ben, lack of stock has always put me off an Italian project in N. However, the urge to scratch the itch of Italian railways never quite went away and so this week I took advantage of Hornby's decision to distribute Italian Lima HO through the UK website. The prices were too appealing to resist an Italian HO side project any longer...

Fortunately for Ben, I've already paid my deposit on an N gauge Revolution Pendolino! 

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I also just stumbled across this thread and can only say that I wish I'd made the effort to read it sooner!! Some truly inspiring work, the modelling is to a staggeringly good standard. I used to go to Trieste a lot and since Trieste airport (which is nowhere near Trieste, being at Monfalcone) is poorly served by flights I usually flew to/from Venice and then took the train. The train journey from Venice to Trieste is rather lovely. I must admit I wasn't such a fan of the older brown electrics, but I do have a real soft spot for the E444 (the production series and I also like the E444R rebuilds, not so much the prototype batch) and think the E402B is a stunning design. At some point I'd love to have some Italian models.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Silvio - I'm taking the Thello sleeper to Milan this September for the Italian GP at Monza and just wondering if you could recommend any good model shops in Milan? (I'm mostly interested in N gauge, although also interested in H0/00 too)

• RMweb Gold

I was in Milan last year and went to Milan Hobby on Via Fellice Bellotti, but there was only a small selection of railway items from what I remember. OK for aircraft/military kits, though.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wow just come across this thread.

Last year I travelled the Cinque Terre and thought at the time this would be ideal model railway territory, tunnel, station, tunnel. The line seemed very busy as we hopped from one town to another . Unfortunately we picked a day with heavy rain, but it was still worthwhile seeing . Little did I realise there was already a layout. Great stuff

Archived