Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The plan Freebs is to print it in WSF and see what it comes out like as its a whole lot cheaper than FUD.... Tweak it and then reprint in detailed plastic once Im happy everything fits as it should! However to save costs ill make the lower station in CAD before i print then ill save on postage!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Very nice.  One tiny point:  I think as our Victorian ancestors rarely did things by halves, I suspect the steps would have been a little more "grand" and able to be climbed from the sides as well as the front.  As you're 3D printing, maybe you can take advantage.  Maybe a gentle curve across the front, and the lower steps wider than the upper steps too...

Something like this:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Full-Perm-Mesh-Outdoor-Entrance-Steps-Builders-Kit/2658976?id=2658976&slug=Full-Perm-Mesh-Outdoor-Entrance-Steps-Builders-Kit

Also, what finish are you aiming for?  If the building is brick built then maybe you could use a WSF body and clad it with brick paper to save paying for FUD?

Looking good though!

cheers

Ben A.

I received this class 37 in early BR Green livery today a pre release example of Graham Farish 371-454 in unweathered condition!!!

Now run in its got superb low speed capability and is very quiet too... A nice amount of space for DCC decoder and the lit headcodes are a nice touch too...

post-18903-0-66148200-1409590259_thumb.jpg

post-18903-0-57909100-1409590349_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 4

Right, back on topic!

How about this then Ben ?post-18903-0-18274500-1409765214.jpg

Other work done includes now making all the signals function as I want them to and installing the main AC transformer that powers them and the Controller.  Stripped out of a £10 Gaugemaster Ebay purchase :)

• Like 3

I would appreciate some feedback please avid readers, i cant decide if the loco shed will look out of place or not, what do you think?

I found a similar standard one built in about 1958 near kings lynn so think the look and era is right? Please let me know if im mistaken?

post-18903-0-52182200-1409861777.jpgpost-18903-0-82376700-1409861787_thumb.jpgpost-18903-0-81816300-1409861798_thumb.jpg

with some additional ballasting

post-18903-0-29157400-1409917156_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 4

I think it will look fine, Paul. I think I should have weathered the box more, but I don't think it looks out of place. Signal boxes seem to have been kept while the motive power arrangements of necessity had to be upgraded. I like the yard lamps, too!

cheers,

Iain

A bit of integration for you Iain!!

Definitely looks tonbe improving now mounted and with some additional scenery and a path

I had to make a stop there as Mrs C is not impressed with the time being devoted to this project at weekends :D

post-18903-0-37684100-1409998425_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Paul

Regarding the engine shed -

The shed at Kings Lynn lasted until the 1990s, I think, as there were some Class 08 shunters based there for local trip workings to the docks and other sidings. Also before the wires went up loco hauled passenger trains ran to London Liverpool Street so locos were stabled there overnight. When the freight finished and the wires went up, the shed was removed. So I guess the question to ask, is would the real railway need a shed? These days, locos and multiple units tend to return to the mainline overnight so local sheds or staff signing on points are seldom required.

But its your layout, so do what you want!

Regards

Nick

Thanks for the replies guys... Ill be having a good think about the shed scenario... My era suggests i could get away with a shed for refuelling/light inspections...

Added some more glue mix to my shrubbery as it appears the first lot was a touch weak!

Anyway on to more pressing things like platform edgings!!

post-18903-0-03011100-1410045033_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Right, I decided this will probably look a bit better than the loco shed, I have hacked the side off an old Bachmann shed of some kind, I'm going to create a kind of covered loco area/old good shed style!

post-18903-0-39750000-1410357363.jpg

Inside the SignalBox, Arthur has been installed - Arthur as he only has Arfur leg :) !! Groan....

post-18903-0-32874700-1410357368.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, I only own an old Iphone!!

Tormouth By night, with a few things lit up now I've installed the auxiliary power bus.... The Farish fueling point with it's added strip lighting works well I think, the yard lights are 50's era from CR Signals and the Signal box light is a 3LED strip from darkest China !

post-18903-0-73146000-1410357372_thumb.jpg

Here he is pottering about on a dark night by the sea :D

http://youtu.be/rFxtg4PYwuA

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

Paul, it looks great...I love the night time shot and as for the video...really rather enjoyable! I was worried about the light escaping from the roof join but you have coped with that rather well. A description of how you worked the electronic magic would I am sure be of great interest to folks, even if it did baffle me!

cheers,

Iain

Good call there Iain, its basically a rod with a man glued to the top, travelling through the cutout to the underside of the baseboard. This is then bent at a right angle and attached to a minature servo, the servo then rotates slowly back and forth moving the figure along. At a later date it will work from the throw of a point through a relay so the man will move for a second or two at the same time a signal changes or the points change :Dpost-18903-0-41377200-1410360946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

Morning all... Sitting here at work today so thought I'd kit bash a roof structure!! :). Its a little smaller than anticipated so may need to bash two or three more!!

post-18903-0-60445400-1410604405_thumb.jpgpost-18903-0-61060800-1410604414_thumb.jpg

On another note I almost came close to posting a video of the funicular running, however due to an unforseen human error (ie me!!) it went up and then down but didnt stop so as it went down the other car shot up the slope and ripped out its wiring!! Back to the drawing board I think...

• Like 6

So i have been plodding along with bits and pieces... Firstly trying for a better transition from cliff to grass as the layout bends round the viaduct

post-18903-0-27648300-1410988784_thumb.jpg

Then decided that "Rule One" would apply to the depot as i tried a couple of different buildings but kept going back to the one I first purchased!

So this is it stuck down and I have begun the yard and a few bushes

post-18903-0-10501400-1410988887_thumb.jpg

Finally test fitting the Overall roof... Undecided though as I have a custom kibri hack that may take its place..

post-18903-0-08399700-1410988937_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

Pop a train on the track under the canopy, leave it in position for a few days and keep coming back to it.  If it "settles in" for you then it's right, if it doesn't then it isn't!

FWIW I rather like it, but I haven't seen the Kibri hack!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

I like the overall roof, and it's pretty appropriate too! I also like your work with the herbage, it's blending in nicely now.

I'm just making a 4mm overall roof at the moment...I am quite envious of those roof support brackets on the 2mm scale one.

Very good progress, anyway!

cheers,

Iain