Hi all, a few more boring updates. But hey Im kind of using this thread as a build repository so heres a little bit more progress...

I got bored with wiring so slapped some more cliffs onto the board.... DO NOT BUY WILKOS FILLER!!! Its taken two days to dry and im still not convinced....

Looks good though lol!

post-18903-0-96084500-1398978831.jpg

So next back to the arduous task of under board wiring

post-18903-0-15802600-1398978962.jpg

Notice ive become a little neater ;)

More boring stuff but we are getting there!!'

post-18903-0-94706500-1398979028.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 6

I was beginning to have reservations of continuing as boredom had set in with this wiring lark!!!

Anyway i slugged away at it again this evening, fitted 8 sets of points and wired up the whole of board 2..... Not as yet tested so if this becomes my final post you know I probably went pop with the layout!!!

post-18903-0-13338700-1399413435.jpg

......Onwards..... Well probably next week as Horseley Fields is in Watford Saturday for a show and i need to fix some parts on HF first!!

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 5

No pictures today I'm afraid, however 13 point motors are now fitted and wired, I need to purchase another 3 hopefully tomorrow at the Watford show. 

DRS class 20 20112 made an aborted attempt to travel the scenic section of the layout at 23:00 left the double slip, ran up the down line and down the up line satisfactorarily before a mysterious short appeared shutting down testing operations.... I'll try getting to the bottom of it at some point.. my guess is a crossed frog on a turnouth somewhere...

~ Thought for the day drinking beer on a bank holiday and having an ebay app on a phone is not clever.... Arrivals today included a GNER Class 91 with 5 coaches which doesn't suit my era or area of operations....   Can't even run it on HF either.... RULE 1 may have to take licence here....

Will hopefully have something running by the end of the week, just need to join the wiring to the d plugs now and buy four new seep motors...

Its been a task that i thought would fly through however i was very wrong!!

post-18903-0-63226600-1400017320_thumb.jpg

This is the left hand board... Needs a bit of tidying but you get the idea... Task was slowed somewhat by me using droppers which kept falling off so had to remove them all and wire to track directly

• Like 1

Quick update. All wiring now complete back to d plugs to mimic panel, however i must have been on another planet though when i drew up the wiring to switches diagram as nothing matches !!!! Have to get out the multi meter tomorrow... Ho hum :D

One day maybe i will be able to post something moving which isnt the spider that lives in my garage ;)

So now the track is down and i can run a gonk around I thought i'd start what i like best about modelling, the details!!

Layed down an airbrush covering of sleeper grime from railmatch, let it dry and begun to rust the rails!! Once thats complete i will add ballast and another coat of sleeper grime to tone the rust down somewhat....

post-18903-0-13765600-1400265937_thumb.jpg

PS I am aware i havent added the sleepers for the gaps yet, thats a mistake oops!! Saw it when posting photos so a job for the weekend!! :)

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 2

Sorry about the picture, it was taken on my phone, however it's better than not having one at all... So heres the first of the ballasting (had a bit of an issue with spilling a jar of PVA mix everywhere, however I've mopped it up now and waiting for board 2 to dry before tackling board 1 :O

post-18903-0-79993500-1400754916_thumb.jpeg

The signal box will sit in the ballasted area between the old loco siding and the main line to the left of the picture...Note the double tunnel mouth currently in view all be it un loved at present :D

A piece of track has been roughly placed to show where the funicular will begin to make an appearence at some point later in the year..

Obviously it's a little bright atm, it will be covered with another spray of Sleeper grime once both boards are ballasted....

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 5

Morning all, a bit more ballasting last night, this time on board 1.

post-18903-0-01444700-1400830179.jpg

post-18903-0-59813300-1400830179.jpg

Question for my avid readers, does it look better with the ballast laid to the old bricked up tunnel or should I leave it as in the picture above... Bear in mind the station is straight on that side and the track curves away to enter the old down line from where the end of the only remaining platform will be.....

post-18903-0-41157900-1400830180_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 5

The old trackbed is a good idea but I wouldnt do it in ballast. It would by now be totally unmaintained so das rubbed into a thin layer of ballast to represent the ground eating it up and then a lot of shrubbery and weeds with just a hint that the trackbed used to be there would look better I think.

• Like 2

Yesterday i found some time to fix some niggles and finish ballasting... I think I may have got carried away with the sleeper grime over the ballast though!

post-18903-0-88482100-1401008971.jpgpost-18903-0-14459700-1401008962.jpg

Im sure there will be a way of toning the ballast down a bit, maybe a grey overspray with a fine airbrush nozzle will do the trick.

Have also taken my Dremel to the track so the boards can come apart again now!

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

Taking advantage of a slow bank holiday afternoon, sees the ballast returned to more of a grey hue whilst keeping the sleepers grimy and the rust streaks intact.... Also made another attempt at a rock face on the cliffs using rolled up tin foil as a mould which seems to have produced far better results than my previous efforts... Painted undercoat version shown and the white is still wet, awaiting second foil indentaion

post-18903-0-81784300-1401119801_thumb.jpgpost-18903-0-11410400-1401119814_thumb.jpgpost-18903-0-87609300-1401119916_thumb.jpgpost-18903-0-29165200-1401119927_thumb.jpg

Oh and just managed a full test and my Class 153 runs around perfectly on all tracks and in all directions... I was rather worried that the track may have been too close to the edge of the board but it seems I got away with it!!

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Painting the cliff has made a big difference - looks much better than the pic I saw earlier. I think playing around with some other earthy colours will help - I suggest using dry brushing, washes and and weathering powders to create more nuanced effects. Something maybe we can chat about next weekend at DEMU showcase, if you haven't got the layout finished by then... ;-)

Cheers

Ben A.

Unfortunately I just cant see it being finished by the weekend!!

However another part is.. Control Box complete !!

post-18903-0-03806400-1401307714_thumb.jpg

Had to reprint the mimic as i noticed id printed a set of crossover points backwards and the LED panels were 3mm instead of 4mm. I know its almost nothing but makes a big difference when they are turned on. Then I built the boxing in around the panel mounts so all the wires are nicely hidden !

Under the box are the two DMU sidings and a set of points, have been running my 08 around as its pretty wide and it clears without issues, next its fixing a couple of wiring fopars underneath..

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

Electrical niggles sorted, shame i cant video!! Still it shows the 121 and 122 moving around the scenic section!

If you turn your screens on their side it may be better :D

Light bar is programmed to flash..however its gone mad!'

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

Was just trying to give you a view of it actually running and Ben some ideas!!!

As you can see the two platforms of the Terminus could easily accommodate four 121's per platform... I made them that long with the idea of three and four car 101's and 108's (i am aware that its very unlikely that a 108 made it this far south but I have four of them i like to run!!

Then if it runs in modern guise it should fit a 220 or three car 170 without issues!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Yes, that makes sense. Now it's running are you ready to really get into the scenics or are there other running/electrical/wiring jobs you want to get finished?

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Hi Ben.

Next tasks are the hills on either side and the funicular........I will probbaly make the funicular a priority as there are still electrical parts and motors to fit for it.  Will have to build one of the cars for it first as I need to chop open the base board to allow it to sit at river level.... 

Edited by Only-Me